• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2013 New BMW 1200GS: Who wants one? (if money is no object?)

Who would like to have one? BMW1200GS (new 2013)

• Yes, gimme gimme!

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Erm, ok I'd take one.

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Not really interested. Got my reasons.

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • No way Hell no!

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
even if i was going to spend the money , that bike make no sense for me. having owned a gs1150a and a gs1200a last year, the new bike went backwards in some areas for me. 1. it now weighs even more than last years bike. it now makes more power then last years bike. both of these changes make the off road ride worse then before. my gs1220a with 90 hp was hard to handle on dirt, mud snow, off camber, you just do not need that much power off road. and the weight gains not worth it, the center of gravity is weigh to high hurting the off road handling in almost every situation. i have picked up these bikes, in snow, mud and river crossings, to much weight to high.
the best adventure bike should be a s light as possible, or a very low center of gravity. big hp is not needed, it will get you in trouble. the new gs does have some nice new changes, long overdue. dale

Hmm, I was thinking about the Yamaha Super Tenere. I have owned a Dr350, XR650R, and XR650L.

i think some times we want to get to comfortable, all the time when we are riding. some bikes work good on the street, some good in the dirt. your XR650L set up correctly will run off road much better then any, of the adventure bikes, and the nastier the ground the better it will work, and is much easier to pick up when dropped. my XR650L has 37000 miles on it, but is not as nice going from here to Texas, on then a large adventure bike. i have rode the Yamaha, and the tiger, and the DL1000, and ktm. to top heavy, the XR650L works very good off road. but a XR650R really works off road for a adventure bike,if it is set up to be street legal. THIS IS WERE THE NC700X comes in, works good off rode if set up correctly, and loves the highway. dale

i think some times we want to get to comfortable, all the time when we are riding. some bikes work good on the street, some good in the dirt. your XR650L set up correctly will run off road much better then any, of the adventure bikes, and the nastier the ground the better it will work, and is much easier to pick up when dropped. my XR650L has 37000 miles on it, but is not as nice going from here to Texas, on then a large adventure bike. i have rode the Yamaha, and the tiger, and the DL1000, and ktm. to top heavy, the XR650L works very good off road. but a XR650R really works off road for a adventure bike,if it is set up to be street legal. THIS IS WERE THE NC700X comes in, works good off rode if set up correctly, and loves the highway. dale

DSC00013.jpg Like this?

The reason I'm on this site is b/c of the dual-clutch 700, which I'll be picking up in mid-April. I can no longer shift a manual. Otherwise, I never would never have sold my 1150 GS Adventure, which I still consider to be the best all-rounder ever built. That bike was built like a truck and yes, was a bit porky, but it was a charismatic, beautifully built machine that would've gone 100k miles, I'm certain. I had to sell her at 35k, w/o a single failure. Anyway, I'll be glad to be riding again and hope that my Honda fills the same void!

No thank you. BMW is overpriced and over engineered. I rode and looked at the new BMW scooter The local dealer wanted $14,000.00 for the Scooter. My only thought was PT Barnum was right. There is a sucker born every minute.

Although I can emphatise with the comments about BMW being overpriced and making some parts of the male anatomy change size, I would challenge anyone to actually buy and own a BMW and say those stuff once more.
There is another problem with this challenge. The support or lack of support from a good BMW dealer and the high cost.

If cost was not an issue, BMWs are very well engineered and very good machines (IMHO).
I think quality wise, the other brands have kinda caught up and so the delta is no longer that great.

The guys I know with recent BMWs seem to spend more time taking their bikes back to the dealer to have minor and some not so minor problems sorted compared with those with other makes and that includes 2 Ducati owners

I would challenge anyone to actually buy and own a BMW and say those stuff once more.
There is another problem with this challenge. The support or lack of support from a good BMW dealer and the high cost.

If cost was not an issue, BMWs are very well engineered and very good machines (IMHO).

lol I spent a fortune to buy my BMW. (actually I'm still paying for it now, as I owed more money than it was worth when I traded it in, so all that money got tacked onto my Honda loan, ugh!)

It was the worst piece of falling apart, leaking, vibratey junk, I've ever had the misfortune to own.

The best part was the arrogant dealers and the obscene maintenance costs and parts prices.

lol I spent a fortune to buy my BMW. (actually I'm still paying for it now, as I owed more money than it was worth when I traded it in, so all that money got tacked onto my Honda loan, ugh!)

It was the worst piece of falling apart, leaking, vibratey junk, I've ever had the misfortune to own.

The best part was the arrogant dealers and the obscene maintenance costs and parts prices.

Now come on L.B.S don't mess about tell us did you like your BMW or not ? :) :)

That sounded quite convincing. All I have to do now is convince myself to BUY a new BMW and test it out myself. :p
The one and only one I owned was a 1995 R1100R, so maybe things have really changed.

Back