• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2015 Versys 650 - another NCX Challenger?

When I switch bike, I can not count just how many time I accidently honk at people at intersections. So embarrassing.

Ha ha, even if I'm the only one on the planet with the problem of not being able to adjust, I would steadfastly refuse to crumble in my resolve to make this thing go away! :eek:

I'm not a big horn honker person, and always try to keep myself out of the position to need to use it, but damned if I haven't really wanted to use it in a few scary instances, and I just cannot get out of the habit of reflexively stabbing at where it *should* be, and not where it is.

I dislike, but can deal with trying to remember where the turn button is, and the unintended beeps by accident, but I get exceptionally riled up at the new need to second guess where the horn button is from bike to bike, and delay, exactly at the crucial time when I do not want to, after all these trouble free years! :mad: It vexes me.

Reminds me of a Ninja. any idea what is mounted under the nose in the side views? Odd shaped to be aux lights.

Here is a better picture.

093014-2015-kawasaki-versys-650-04-633x475.jpg

That is a sweet looking bike and I would not mind having one. The one drawback as far as I'm concerned is no frunk. I've gotten quite used to having that space to throw my odds and ends. It will be missed the day I decide to give up the NCX. Not that I have plans anytime soon.

Better looking than a NCX in my opinion and no beak is a plus :)

I'm with sgt chuck on this. Missing the frunk and also DCT.

I like the adjustable windscreen, the dual headlights, dual front disc

Honda should have done the NC like this.
looks sportier me finks.I used to like the versy till I rode one.

2015-Kawasaki-Versys-650-3.jpg

Ha ha, even if I'm the only one on the planet with the problem of not being able to adjust, I would steadfastly refuse to crumble in my resolve to make this thing go away! :eek:

I'm not a big horn honker person, and always try to keep myself out of the position to need to use it, but damned if I haven't really wanted to use it in a few scary instances, and I just cannot get out of the habit of reflexively stabbing at where it *should* be, and not where it is.

I dislike, but can deal with trying to remember where the turn button is, and the unintended beeps by accident, but I get exceptionally riled up at the new need to second guess where the horn button is from bike to bike, and delay, exactly at the crucial time when I do not want to, after all these trouble free years! :mad: It vexes me.

Haha! So I guess it goes without saying that you're staying out of the Harley dealerships with their individual turn signals.

Better looking than a NCX in my opinion and no beak is a plus :)

I like my beak. Don't know if it serves any real purpose, but I think I'll keep it. This particular finch can keep on eating whatever it likes. No need to change.

Haha! So I guess it goes without saying that you're staying out of the Harley dealerships with their individual turn signals.

It's been a long time since I've ridden a Harley, but if the horn button was in the "normal" place, like I say, I would strongly dislike the wonky turn signal button/s, but possibly put up with them. Even with my BMW and it's demented turn signal set up which I despised, at least the horn button was in the proper spot...

Looked up some specs on it - they're claiming 476lbs wet weight for the ABS model. Pretty much dead even with a manual trans NC- even though it's carrying an extra brake disc + more fuel. The 1000 (which is also coming to the U.S.), is 75 lbs heavier but is even better looking in my opinion.

With a 33 inch seat height,I am not a giant.but I like it.

Sounds like there is a low seat option for the vertically challenged. Great looking bike...no doubt. But with no frunk, higher center of gravity, lower mpg, and most likely a price tag getting close to 10k....I'll keep my NCX! (wish the NC had that sexier swing arm though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8ZBSFZSvY

if this engine is smooth,
by specs itself this is a upgrade to the NC manual

it should brake better with dual brakes and has ABS, adjustable suspension front and back. low seat option. bigger tank, adjustable windscreen.

^ this are all the stuff NC700 needs upgrade on.

but am sure mpg is less, valve adjustment would require tank to come off and no integrated storage

Last edited:
The Versys is a good bike. My Brother in law has one and loves it. It is very frugal on petrol and can come close to the NC if one is careful with the throttle. However it also has a bigger tank so the range is longer. The engines are very good as evidenced also by the racing classes for them both here and I think also in the US. The suspension is more adjustable than the NC but on a mountain road the Versys will not "carve up" the NC unless that mountain road has some very long straights on it. However it might turn a little quicker than the NC. I must admit I like the Versys and when originally in the market for such a bike I had a very close look at it. However the long stroke characteristics of the NC engine won out.

The problem is everyone is comparing to the NC700X.

Yamaha has their new FZ-07, it's less expensive and more power, very torquey, and lighter too.

also gas mileage is close to the NC7X 65mpg range.

Forest road touring

The turn signals are goners on the gentlest of tip overs.

Agreed.
I was pretty pumped about this MC until I saw her in person. The older version had them in a more conservative location.
Like others have typed, with her being so top heavy, even with a engine guard those indicators are done for.

So for a commuter I would go NC and for a touring MC, I would go NC. The turn signals are in a better location.
Buying used and getting a suspension rebuild and fender mod would still have you doing better than the new Versys on the initial purchase and when the dirt terrian begins.

But I get the Versys. I believe she would be a more fun MC than the NC. She is too top heavy and vunerable for the mission objective I have for her.

Last edited:
I had a 2009 Versys. I loved it, great suspension, decent fuel economy. It had some vibration you would feel in the pegs and bars at 65-70 mph which would get old on longer rides. There have been times that I miss it, it was a lot of fun, really stable and easy to ride. Just my opinion, but it is not in the same field as the NC, two very different bikes, especially with the DCT! I know there are a lot of bikes out there that will put a smile on your face, so enjoy the ride whatever you are on!

Back