• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2023: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put a frown face. Sorry for your loss even if the friendship was brief. Condolences to his family.

Dang, the dangers we face on a daily basis, just because we like riding on 2 wheels.
I don't think they are that dangerous. I think riders should be more careful and not get complacent. A lot of them take chances, speed in the twisties like it's a racetrack, don't pay attention to left turners, ride in blind spots, speed in general, and don't respect the intersections.

Last edited:
It is kind of hard typing this, I didn't ride with the usual suspects but I could of. There was a moto swap meet practically next door to me, so I just walked over with my son early for some quality time with him. The other guys I usually ride with (about 4 of them) had rode over and then went out riding for the rest of the day. My neighbor came over and just told me a (couple of hours ago) that one of them was killed while they were riding yesterday afternoon. A guy in a truck pulled out in front of the group and clearly made a bad call about which lane he should've entered....not sure how it's going to play out. I had only rode with this gentleman twice and he was a super nice, easy-going and well-seasoned rider. I'm as shocked as the other guys and while I wasn't present, we're all taking a break, stay safe out there everybody.
Condolences. May he rest in peace.

I work from home. Heard a loud crash this morning. My bike had been blown over in the storm. Extremely strong gusts.
Mangled bar end weight, slightly bent back brake pedal, chewed up frame slider and badly scratched exhaust. The exhaust is steel so will see if I can polish out the worst of it.
I was supposed to be going to head office this morning. Luckily I heeded the "danger to life" warnings. Worst storm this year.

I work from home. Heard a loud crash this morning. My bike had been blown over in the storm. Extremely strong gusts.
Mangled bar end weight, slightly bent back brake pedal, chewed up frame slider and badly scratched exhaust. The exhaust is steel so will see if I can polish out the worst of it.
I was supposed to be going to head office this morning. Luckily I heeded the "danger to life" warnings. Worst storm this year.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. That’s a bad way to start the day.

It is kind of hard typing this, I didn't ride with the usual suspects but I could of. There was a moto swap meet practically next door to me, so I just walked over with my son early for some quality time with him. The other guys I usually ride with (about 4 of them) had rode over and then went out riding for the rest of the day. My neighbor came over and just told me a (couple of hours ago) that one of them was killed while they were riding yesterday afternoon. A guy in a truck pulled out in front of the group and clearly made a bad call about which lane he should've entered....not sure how it's going to play out. I had only rode with this gentleman twice and he was a super nice, easy-going and well-seasoned rider. I'm as shocked as the other guys and while I wasn't present, we're all taking a break, stay safe out there everybody.
How absolutely terrible to read about your loss. Sincerely, very sorry that you and the others are going through this.

Tonight I changed the fork oil in my 21 with only 5K miles and the old oil was black and flaky. Yikes. I wanted to try a 15W fluid and used Motul, instead of the OEM 10W. On the charts the Motul 15W is indeed thicker than the Honda 10. I also installed the CBR1100 fork caps (51450-MGC-003) that fit perfectly and have adjustability. They also compress the stock springs a bit more even on their most retracted setting. I'm doing these things because I'm 200 lbs without gear and heavier than the bike is set up for. I'll do new springs next if this doesn't make any difference. I only use the bike for short commutes and use my S1000XR for all my long trips, so I don't need the suspension on the NC to be anything but OK.

Tonight I changed the fork oil in my 21 with only 5K miles and the old oil was black and flaky. Yikes. I wanted to try a 15W fluid and used Motul, instead of the OEM 10W. On the charts the Motul 15W is indeed thicker than the Honda 10. I also installed the CBR1100 fork caps (51450-MGC-003) that fit perfectly and have adjustability. They also compress the stock springs a bit more even on their most retracted setting. I'm doing these things because I'm 200 lbs without gear and heavier than the bike is set up for. I'll do new springs next if this doesn't make any difference. I only use the bike for short commutes and use my S1000XR for all my long trips, so I don't need the suspension on the NC to be anything but OK.
I'm 225 pounds and the suspension seems too stiff to me.

I'm 225 pounds and the suspension seems too stiff to me.
That's great. On my commute I go over a bit of rough pavement and the NC about rattles my teeth out with bouncing. Because I have two bikes and have ridden this on others as well, I can notice that the NC is of course cheap suspension and just can't absorb surface imperfections without losing contact and bouncing like a pogo stick. But the bigger thing may be that I did the zip tie test and found on my daily commute I use about 75% of available travel without even hitting big holes or anything. Nothing will make the stock NC forks into a nice cartridge fork, but a stiffer spring, or compression control, and thicker oil, are all things one can do to reduce sag and try to stiffen things up for those of us that find it way too squishy and maxed out.

They look cheap, I like the round cast ones, but these probably function better. Do you have to have that crash guard to mount them?
I do have crash bars but I don't think the model he installed mount to the bars. When you say "look cheap", do you mean aesthetically or from a functionality perspective?

That's great. On my commute I go over a bit of rough pavement and the NC about rattles my teeth out with bouncing. Because I have two bikes and have ridden this on others as well, I can notice that the NC is of course cheap suspension and just can't absorb surface imperfections without losing contact and bouncing like a pogo stick. But the bigger thing may be that I did the zip tie test and found on my daily commute I use about 75% of available travel without even hitting big holes or anything. Nothing will make the stock NC forks into a nice cartridge fork, but a stiffer spring, or compression control, and thicker oil, are all things one can do to reduce sag and try to stiffen things up for those of us that find it way too squishy and maxed out.
You can install cartridge emulators with a lighter oil and actually get a pretty good fork out of the NC. The stock damping rod fork set up is too softly sprung for most riders and over damped for all. It hydraulically locks on sharp edged bumps and can’t use all available travel. To me a thicker fork fluid is going the wrong direction. Emulators allow a progressive curve to compression damping. I installed the adjustable CB1100 caps in my 2015 but truthfully are setting the sag for me I never messed around with them again so when I set up my current NC, a 2013, I didn’t install them.

You can install cartridge emulators with a lighter oil and actually get a pretty good fork out of the NC. The stock damping rod fork set up is too softly sprung for most riders and over damped for all. It hydraulically locks on sharp edged bumps and can’t use all available travel. To me a thicker fork fluid is going the wrong direction. Emulators allow a progressive curve to compression damping. I installed the adjustable CB1100 caps in my 2015 but truthfully are setting the sag for me I never messed around with them again so when I set up my current NC, a 2013, I didn’t install them.
I appreciate your thoughts. Suspension is absolutely a science, and yet still an art. What I am here to say without any doubt is that I rode my commute today and after work did a longer ride and the bike is absolutely way better handling now after these changes. It's gone from being a pogo stick that felt unconnected to the road on rough surfaces and yet jarring to my teeth, to today where it felt like a normal bike for my size. I wasn't really expecting this much change, and I was conscious of confirmation bias and such. I put a zip tie back on and sure enough, now it is only using about 50% of available travel instead of the 70% from before. I soon forgot about the front end and avoiding every bump and manhole cover and just rode the bike and felt so much better. I'm delighted. If proof is in the pudding, my pudding was delicious after this change.

In fact, I'm so pleased with it that I can't see why I would follow through on my idea to try the emulators and stiffer spring. It's a low budget bike, and for what I use it for, this is now great. I wouldn't hesitate to ride it hundreds of miles and wouldn't have to worry about my dental bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back