• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

60/40 Tire choice for the NC

I think I may have found my next set of tires...Pirelli MT 60-R Motorcycle Tire - BikeBandit.comThe Pirelli MT60R claims a 60/40 road/off-road bias which is about right for me if they are correct in their assertion.
They say 17 inch, will they fit our 16 inch wheels? Do we run 16 or 17? Sorry I have no user manual here, right now. But this looks promising. Thanks, Lee! That is why I join forum, you do all the legwork and I benefit. :pEDIT: SORRY, just found my glasses, we have 17.

When the heck did they bring these out! I have been watching out for this type tire for a while. Joe asked me not to long ago, and they wern't out then.
Thanks for the link! Saved it to my favorites again.
Here Joe.

Front Tire
120/70ZR17 radial
Rear Tire
160/60ZR17 radial

They say 17 inch, will they fit our 16 inch wheels? Do we run 16 or 17? Sorry I have no user manual here, right now. But this looks promising. Thanks, Lee! That is why I join forum, you do all the legwork and I benefit. :pEDIT: SORRY, just found my glasses, we have 17.

LOL! I have reading glasses laying everywhere!:cool:

They've been out for a while.... same tire that the KTM Duke uses.... Just had the local KTM dealer eyeballing My NC. He was showing me pics of his bike with MT 60's... He's very impressed with the tire.

Last edited:
I'm sticking with the Bridgestones as they are a good all weather tyre. Also I know that they clear my Ermax hugger OK which apparently from other peoples experiance is not true of some other tyres

I'm happy with my Metzelers, even on wet, tested the hard way the pass weekend

I am also happy with mine, 6000 plus miles and still look good. Hope to get 12000 before I change.

My Metzelers are wearing very well too and have very good wet/dry traction. I just need a more open tread for the many miles of unpaved roads in Redneck Georgia where I live and for the un-peopled areas where I prefer to travel and camp. I got the Pirellis yesterday and they do have nice open tread that should prove better on the unpaved sections. Reports say that the road behavior remains quite good as well, though I doubt that it is as good at the Z8's.

My Metzelers are wearing very well too and have very good wet/dry traction.

Really? The other day it was downpour and strong wind. The side wind actually blew so strong that cause my bike to shift/glide sideways. Not fishtail but you can feel the whole bike just drift one side. I wonder this sets of tire will help. Don't get me wrong. Metzler is great when the road is dry. I find it slippery when the road is wet. Maybe just too much water up north.

Really? The other day it was downpour and strong wind. The side wind actually blew so strong that cause my bike to shift/glide sideways. Not fishtail but you can feel the whole bike just drift one side. I wonder this sets of tire will help. Don't get me wrong. Metzler is great when the road is dry. I find it slippery when the road is wet. Maybe just too much water up north.

Really? Turbodieseli4i6 told me the EXACT thing happened to him in thunderstorms in Missouri. That is strange. I guess in both cases the bikes hydroplaned in the presence of strong wind. I rode mine through the remnants of Hurricane Isiaac in tremendous thunderstorms with no ill effects. I did slide the rear once when I overshot an intersection (after midnight in unfamiliar territory). I figure that was my fault and not the tires. Well, anyway, the tread of the MT60R ought to move a lot more water out of the way.

One question guys.
For this bike, at what speed is she likely to hydroplane?
Any speeds or just a particular range?

Hydroplaning occurs when a film of water forms between the tire and the road causing the tire to lose contact with the road. There is no formula for when it will happen. But, the following will increase the odds of hydroplaning:

1) More water on the road
2) A smoother road surface
3) A flatter road surface (less banking or inclines)
4) A wider tire
5) Lower vehicle weight
6) A shallower (or more worn) tread
7) A tread design that doesn't provide as good an escape path for the water
8) Higher vehicle speed

Hydroplaning seems to be more common on motorcycles since the advent of the low profile fat radials with a treadless (or nearly treadless) centerline. As I remember, hydroplaning on a motorcycle was unheard of when we were riding the old bikes with narrow (3.50 and 4.00) tires with a 1.0 aspect ratio. They usually had a center rib like the old Continental K112A...

k112r.jpg

I like them. I would like to have your feels when you probe them

BTW, are they the same stock size? Speed and load codes?

Same load range (58, or load range B), different speed rating. The Pirellis are speed rated V (149 mph) and the Metz are speed rated Z (149+ mph)

Same load range (58, or load range B), different speed rating. The Pirellis are speed rated V (149 mph) and the Metz are speed rated Z (149+ mph)

Hum... This would be a problem here when doing the periodic legal inspection. The legal docs of my bike says 58W front, 69W rear, they don't allow to mount lower speed and load codes. :(

BTW, it the Pirelli is 58 and your docs also say 69 you could have a load problem? :confused:

Back