• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

A Little Northwest Arkansas Camping Ride!

belrix

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nebraskagirl and I are taking out for a 5 day trip to Northwest Arkansas, dodging thunderstorms all the way!

We are spending Wednesday night at Devils Den State Parks and finishing the trip at Steel Creek Campground by Ponca, AR.

I've called around and the water isn't too high and the weather forecast is for brief thunderstorms all weekend.

Wish us luck!

belrix

Good luck! I'm actually headed to Ponca Friday to a 3 day canoe trip down the Buffalo river for a buddy's bachelor party. Hopefully the weather cooperates for both of us!

trey

There's over one million acres of free camping all around where they will be.........it's called the Ozark Nation Forest ;)
Mike

Those of us from the People's Republic of California aren't used to that.
Here, the state owns EVERYTHING!
Just ask them.

One of my fondest memories is of riding through Arkansas back in 1975 (or was it 6 ??).

Beautiful country. Everyone I met was helpful and nice.

Have a nice time.

On my recent ride from Wake Forest, NC to Arkansas I was dodging thunderstorms most of the way. I put a ziplock over my phone and kept the raindar app running.

I was able to speed up and slow down to avoid the big yellow and red parts of the thunderstorms and cruised along mainly in the green (lighter rain). Raindar is a great app to use when dodging thunderstorms.

After returning home I ordered a waterproof plastic sleeve that i will be using on future rides. It has an audio cable inside with a port coming out the back . I turn it upside down so I can plug the charging cable in. The sleeve fits my phone pretty snugly and it is easy to use the touch screen in the sleeve. I have a small stylus tied on to the ram mount on a stretchy type string that I can use on the phone without taking my gloves off, if I need to make a quick stop to interact with the phone or move the display to keep my location on the screen using the raindar app.

This is the waterproof sleeve I got I have a Moto X pure so it is a big phone https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AFUQ9HM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

waterproof case.jpg

Last edited:
Well we survived!!! Apologizes for not posting during the trip, no cell signal and it was nice!

Working on getting pictures and videos transferred and will be updating the thread soon.

Hopefully Nebraskagirl will chime in also, she took more pictures and is a much better writer.

More to follow.

belrix

The tent mahal in Devil's Den State Park

5d2009ecf8b9b08bc55a21c8f73904fa.jpg

022310d02acb1d562eee7197bf587c3a.jpg

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

A friend and I are going to be riding in the Ouachita mountains tomorrow. Hopefully a beautiful day to ride.

2b749307ba8ebad0c30ae6127511bf27.jpg
Here we are at our first gas stop right before crossing over from Kansas to Missouri-- oh how young and naive we were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4c1354f22c01d0dc5876e3dff331e471.jpg
First camp site--Devil's Den Arkansas. Only got rained on once at this point.

df1b1742e6e575db00c6ea206710feb7.jpg
The Tent Mahal was erected in just a little over 20 minutes by my love and favorite NC700 owner.

Back