• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

A problem with oil level?

CGFS

Reaction score
Visit site
So I'll include a couple pictures to illustrate. I think my oil level is too high and thus why my engine light is coming on after I have warmed up the engine significantly.

IMG_20140731_184510468_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140731_184510468_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140731_184523375_HDR.jpg

The level is above the second line if it's tough to see. This was taken after riding home from work so engine was hot. I want to check with folks who know what they are talking about as opposed to just guessing. In addition what are folks keeping their metzler tire pressure at?

---I want to check with folks who know what they are talking about as opposed to just guessing.---

no need for that. just follow instructions in the manual. page 76

Yes it's the yellow check engine lamp. This afternoon for the first time the oil light was on as well.

if you think there is too much oil-suck some out. here is the tool for you(also available at walmart)

Multi-Use Transfer Pump

oil light indicate low oil pressure(low oil level in engine). check engine light should throw you some codes(all of them as far as i remember from CBR have nothing to do with oil)

Damn not happy to hear that I really do not want to be putting money into a dealer trip this early in my bikes life.

Just to check the bases here, the oil should be checked with the bike upright (not on the side stand), and the plug should not be threaded into the hole. Just push it in until it touches the threads and then pull it back out to check level.
If you are getting the low oil pressure light, do NOT ride the bike until you can confirm the problem. It might just be a faulty oil pressure switch, or you could actually have low oil pressure, which will lead to engine damage. In very extreme cases of overfilling, the crankshaft could whip the oil in the sump into a foam, which would cause the oil pump to cavitate and lead to low pressure/engine damage.

TL;DR: If you have both the yellow Check Engine light and the red Oil Pressure light illuminated, something is wrong. Don't run the engine until you can 100% confirm the problem.

Last edited:
Ok went back out to the garage and checked the oil level again, (engine is warm to the touch but not hot), the oil level has dropped to the top line on the dipstick. Started up the bike and the check engine light is gone. I think the oil pressure light was a fluke on my part as I am not certain I hadn't shut the engine light off when I noticed it. I know that's newb thing to do. But the check engine light came on for sure. I came on once last week as well when I was out running errands but simply shutting off the bike and restarting it got it to go away.

@ Lou bike is upright and dipstick inserted till it touches initial threads, yes.

Over my many years as a Honda dealer, you would not believe how many times folks came in yelling and carrying on about us not putting enough oil in their bike. Our policy was to show every customer how to check their oil and that the unit had the proper amount of oil in it before the vehicle was given to the customer. However, for some reason folks would rather believe what they are told by a neighbor or friend than what they were shown by the Honda Pros.

Most times folks were told by someone they knew to fill the motor with oil to the top of the oil fill lip like a lawnmower.

Over my many years as a Honda dealer, you would not believe how many times folks came in yelling and carrying on about us not putting enough oil in their bike. Our policy was to show every customer how to check their oil and that the unit had the proper amount of oil in it before the vehicle was given to the customer. However, for some reason folks would rather believe what they are told by a neighbor or friend than what they were shown by the Honda Pros.

Most times folks were told by someone they knew to fill the motor with oil to the top of the oil fill lip like a lawnmower.

As an Automotive Tech and shop owner I had one gentleman come in and say we overfilled his motor. He pointed out that his engine was a 3.0l and that his bill stated that 5 litres of oil had been put in.

As far as the oil light coming on, I would be very surprised that a Honda motor would have low oil pressure unless someone forgot to put oil in it.

If the check engine light came on, it is a fuel injection issue.

Seriously!? Man I do not want to pay to have engine work done at this stage of ownership. Well I'll give it a go tomorrow and see what happens. This could cost me my topbox fund.

The oil level is completely on me I did the 800 mile more like 1000 mile change, post work trips, myself and the bike is seeing it's first consistent warm weather since I bought it. So not sure if the oil is just expanding that much more due to heat or what. I definitely checked the level when filling as upright I could manage and did aim for the fuller side but it wasn't over the top line before.

Ok went back out to the garage and checked the oil level again, (engine is warm to the touch but not hot), the oil level has dropped to the top line on the dipstick. Started up the bike and the check engine light is gone. I think the oil pressure light was a fluke on my part as I am not certain I hadn't shut the engine light off when I noticed it. I know that's newb thing to do. But the check engine light came on for sure. I came on once last week as well when I was out running errands but simply shutting off the bike and restarting it got it to go away.

@ Lou bike is upright and dipstick inserted till it touches initial threads, yes.

What has changed from the oil level being way too high, to the point where it's now reading correctly? Was the first measure taken with dipstick incorrectly and new one properly?

Just to summarise, as someone has already suggested go to page 76 and follow the instructions to the letter. It is crucial that the bike is perfectly level. Putting it on the centrestand does not mean it is level if there is even a slight slope on the floor. If necessary get someone to hold it level for you on its wheels. If that produces a level up to or under the top mark then you are ok.

With regard to any lights coming on after you have moved off from a stop, or staying on after the engine has started (other than ABS light, see handbook ) then take it back to the dealer without delay. If the oil pressure light is staying on then have it shipped to the dealer rather than drive it.

Seriously!? Man I do not want to pay to have engine work done at this stage of ownership. Well I'll give it a go tomorrow and see what happens. This could cost me my topbox fund.

yes
from CBR forum

0 - bank angle sensor, ECM, PGM-FI fuse
1 - MAP sensor
2 - MAP sensor vacuum hoses, or sensor itself
7 - ECT sensor poorly connected or open circuit
8 - TP sensor, TP senspr wiring
9 - IAT sensor connection, or open wire
10 - Baro sensor, or connection, or wiring
11 - Vehicle speed sensor, or connection or wiring
12 - #1 injector connection, or faulty injector
13 - #2 injectior connection or faulty injector
14 - #1 connection or open/shorted circuit
15 - #2 connection or open/shorted circuit
18 - Cam pulse sensor, connection or loose sensor
19 - Ignition pulse sensor, connection or loose sensor
20 - faulty E-PROM in ECM.

Trouble Codes : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

My engine light came on once in traffic when the bike was new and under 500 miles. I pulled into a parking lot, cut the engine and cranked it back up and it was gone. At 22,000 miles now and haven't seen it since. Weird.

Back