• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Abs does work!!

Rocker66

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.kawasakiw650.co.uk
The other night whilst riding to work on a very dark wet and windy night I was approaching a roundabout from which one of the exits is the entrance road to a local quarry. This means it is usually covered in mud a diesel from the quarry’s trucks. Just as I was entering the roundabout a cyclist dressed in dark clothing and with no lights suddenly appeared in front of me. Despite the fact that I had entered the roundabout cautiously I still had to brake on the slippery surface. Fortunately the ABS did its job and I remained upright although with my heart rate around twice the normal.

What happens if the ABS does "NOT" work? Will Honda get a nice pricey lawsuit in the US? I am inclined to think that this is the legal reason why ABS is not standard in the USA. When it is optional, Honda USA could make you sign a non-inclusive insurance clause contract when you buy it. I am only guessing, no facts. What do you think? :D

The other night whilst riding to work on a very dark wet and windy night I was approaching a roundabout from which one of the exits is the entrance road to a local quarry. This means it is usually covered in mud a diesel from the quarry’s trucks. Just as I was entering the roundabout a cyclist dressed in dark clothing and with no lights suddenly appeared in front of me. Despite the fact that I had entered the roundabout cautiously I still had to brake on the slippery surface. Fortunately the ABS did its job and I remained upright although with my heart rate around twice the normal.

I'm glad you made it with all pieces still intact Rocker66! Natural selection may take care of that cyclist if he doesn't change his riding techniques.
Hopefully it wont harm anyone else in the process.

What happens if the ABS does "NOT" work? Will Honda get a nice pricey lawsuit in the US? I am inclined to think that this is the legal reason why ABS is not standard in the USA. When it is optional, Honda USA could make you sign a non-inclusive insurance clause contract when you buy it. I am only guessing, no facts. What do you think? :D

"What happens if the ABS does "NOT" work?"
The same as my brakes work.
"Will Honda get a nice pricey lawsuit in the US? I am inclined to think that this is the legal reason why ABS is not standard in the USA."
There are a lot of old school people in the US that don't want it. I think Honda left it off the six speed to keep the price low.
Two hundred bucks more could loose potential customers.
It would be nice if it had been a option on the six speed, but I would have still chose the non-abs model this time.
I wanted minimal factory electronics on my first NC because of reliability.
I really like the linked brakes Honda uses, my GL1200 has them and it stops pretty good for a heavy bike.
But I know abs works in oh crap! moments.
'When it is optional, Honda USA could make you sign a non-inclusive insurance clause contract when you buy it. I am only guessing, no facts. What do you think? :D"
It's not an option on the DCT here, I don't think you can get a car/pickup without abs in the states. Why would bikes be different?
I will say that I trust Honda and most Japanese manufactures more than others for reliability.
" Honda USA could make you sign a non-inclusive insurance clause contract when you buy it."
Honda better not get to the position where it thinks it can make us do anything, If Honda does they could loose a lot of sales!
They need people like me, I don't need them! I'm a nice guy until someone thinks they can tell me what's best for me,
and there are a lot like me.

I will say that I do like ABS a lot though. My next bike will probably have it.

I'm glad you made it with all pieces still intact Rocker66! Natural selection may take care of that cyclist if he doesn't change his riding techniques.
Hopefully it wont harm anyone else in the process.

"What happens if the ABS does "NOT" work?"
The same as my brakes work.
"Will Honda get a nice pricey lawsuit in the US? I am inclined to think that this is the legal reason why ABS is not standard in the USA."
There are a lot of old school people in the US that don't want it. I think Honda left it off the six speed to keep the price low.
Two hundred bucks more could loose potential customers.
It would be nice if it had been a option on the six speed, but I would have still chose the non-abs model this time.
I wanted minimal factory electronics on my first NC because of reliability.
I really like the linked brakes Honda uses, my GL1200 has them and it stops pretty good for a heavy bike.
But I know abs works in oh crap! moments.
'When it is optional, Honda USA could make you sign a non-inclusive insurance clause contract when you buy it. I am only guessing, no facts. What do you think? :D"
It's not an option on the DCT here, I don't think you can get a car/pickup without abs in the states. Why would bikes be different?
I will say that I trust Honda and most Japanese manufactures more than others for reliability.
" Honda USA could make you sign a non-inclusive insurance clause contract when you buy it."
Honda better not get to the position where it thinks it can make us do anything, If Honda does they could loose a lot of sales!
They need people like me, I don't need them! I'm a nice guy until someone thinks they can tell me what's best for me,
and there are a lot like me.

I will say that I do like ABS a lot though. My next bike will probably have it.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, you are probably right. I was just guessing a probably silly reason. Cost is more likely the real cause.

My first and last BMW (R1100R with standard ABS) often had the ABS being faulty and switching off by itself (ABS light flashing). It was 5 years old and so out of warranty. I do not have it anymore. I guess modern ABS systems will be much more reliable.
I did not read the OP's first post, but I guess our Honda's NCX ABS does work well.

If you do want to try/test it out, just look for a sandy flat piece of level road, and go 30-50kmh and jam on the brakes. I will do that this weekend (I did not think I have to test it, but I think I will). Do this at your own risk.
:D

I bought the NCX also because it came with ABS (gratis). At my age, it can never be too careful.

When will we get ABS as standard? Prepared to pay for is as an option, but we don't get the option!!!

Hi Tania
So in SA, the NCX does not come with ABS?
Is it possible to buy in another nearby country and ship it over?

And did I read correctly the ABS is also not available for the Manual transmission NCX in US?
That is bad.

Joe.

I think ABS is one safety feature that can and does save lives. Since its a Honda I would trust it not to fail more so than a lot of other companies.
After this evening I would have got ABS on the NCX if they had offered it here. My reflexes just aren't what they used to be.
Don't get me wrong I still have cat like reflexes :D but my heart just can't take a dog or a fox 60' in front of my bike when that's all I see in the headlight beam. Yep I locked the back tire for a split second before the front started to dive!
The linked brakes are awesome on this bike! It would have been more reassuring if I had ABS though.
It was almost like last year when a doe (deer) was in the center of the road last year. 4:00am total darkness. I just didn't have time to hit the brakes.
I pushed the handle bar hard right and missed her by inches. I was running 65 +mph at the time. I guess I keep my Angel pretty busy huh.

Last edited:
You are right, Turbo. I would pay "extra" to get the ABS too. I was just lucky it was standard in Switzerland. No amount of experience or cat-like reflexes is going to save you in an emergency / unexpected incident. That is why they are called ACCIDENTS. I am glad I never had to use ABS to save my life or others. I did not also "test" the linked brakes. How does one test those?

Back