• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

ABS or Non ABS ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1183
  • Start date
Keeping the price low on the manual model (same reason North America doesn't get the LED headlight/revised forks on the NC)? Pushing DCT sales?

That's what I thought until I read the specs of for the 2016 CB500F that my son Max is looking at. I think the CB500F is built to a price point to help sales. So why does the 2016 model get a LED headlight? Another head-scratcher from Honda.

Last edited:
Well, I have listened to all the opinions on here. They all made sense and there was no arguing with that. To be honest I have been somewhat in turmoil since finding out that I could not get an ABS model of AT until January next, hence my commencement of this thread. I wanted someone to tell me “go ahead Griff, get it anyway”. Sadly nobody decided to do that. Yes, I know, y’all had my best interests at heart.

I have lusted after an AT for a long time since seeing the initial video wind-ups etc etc. Then I got to ride one and I knew it wasn't just hype. My best friends who know me a long time all nodded sagely. "He's getting one" they all agreed.

I resisted. I loved my NC and I was in the process of altering suspension to make it better. I partially succeeded in that regard because I now have an NC that handles a little better at all speeds, but the most important aspect was not achieved no matter what settings I tried. I just could not get comfortable on it on the poorly surfaced roads that I ride. At the end of the day there was insufficient suspension travel available and the 17 inch wheels were also an impediment. It is a top motorcycle but not for my purposes.

I eventually decided to trade for an AT. I was ready to make the move but an earthquake on the other side of the world intervened. No AT available in the spec that I desired and it would not be available until January. A non ABS bike would however be available. Decisions decisions. Summer is coming and I am not getting any younger. However I listened to the various opinions and had almost decided to wait.

Today I visited a couple of my usual shops to find out what my NC would be worth. The Honda shop offered me a decent price and more or less what I expected. However they also had a brand new AT on the floor. Non ABS of course. It was discounted on the price of other shops, but it also had a centrestand and bashplate included. It was the colour I wanted also. I rang the Wife and two of my best mates whose opinions I value. All three of them agreed. “Go for it”. The Wife made my mind up for me on the ABS issue. She often says “what will be will be”. In short She believes in fate and that I could just as easily get a wallop of a bus crossing the road as get wiped out on a bike. The way I cross roads that is quite a possibility. 

So, I shook hands with the dealer and the deal is done. I am not so arrogant as to think that this could not come back to bite me with regard to not having ABS. I will remain optimistic on the basis that I have done ok to date, and also that my Dominator is of the same ilk.

Thank Y’all for your input. Wish me luck with the new bike (sometime next week). I will now take the Wilbers off my NC and polish it up for the new owner. I have had immense enjoyment from it for the past four years. I had envisaged long term ownership much of the time, but Honda were never going to let that happen !

This is the ABS version that I tested. The bike I am getting is exactly the same colour etc other than having no ABS and TC. Needless to say that nasty old topcase will not be included.

P1040797.jpg

P1040803.jpg

P1040806.jpg

What? You don't like the contrast between the sleek curvy lines of the bike and the big "squareness" of the top box? That is pure modern art!

After you have had it a while I would like to hear your opinion on how top heavy it feels at slow speeds in comparison to the NC.

What? You don't like the contrast between the sleek curvy lines of the bike and the big "squareness" of the top box? That is pure modern art!

After you have had it a while I would like to hear your opinion on how top heavy it feels at slow speeds in comparison to the NC.

Modern art indeed.

It is not as top heavy as it looks and that is one aspect that appealed to me. It is only 10/15kg heavier than the NC. However with its longer travel suspension I found that it is not as quick to transition in tight switchback bends as the NC, especially the NC that has had the benefit of my recent suspension mods. In such situations it is more ponderous. No doubt I will get used to it though.

Back