• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Adding Aux Front light (pictures)

Here are the Honda instructions for the accessory harness. Ignore the part about the 12 volt frunk outlet. Once you have the accessory harness and relay installed, you have four switched and fused connections available for light duty accessories. It's tidy and doesn't cost much.
http://powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08V71-MGS-A30.pdf

OK...the honda accessory harness... I can see that two of the connectors connect directly to the battery.
Where do the other four go?

I believe the wiring diagram would be similar to the diagram below.

airhorn_wiring_diagram.jpg

Without actually having one of these wiring harnesses in from of me.

I am guessing that the "Yellow & Black" would go to the load device, in your case the LED Light.

Expect my suggested wiring harness might have an extra 12 VDC line right next to the relay coil wire. Thus no need for an enable voltage, just and switch between the 2 Black wires. However there are risk involved with this method, you might forget to turn it off or someone else will turn it on when you are away from the bike. You could come back to a dead battery hours later.

I would highly recommend an ignition switch controlled voltage with a switch connected in series to turn ON & OFF the light as desired.

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding the matter.

the diagrams all look like connect the dot puzzles. My eyes glaze over.

The next thing that will happen is this:

1. stand in front of my NC with a positap connector in my hand and try to locate a "running light" hot wire for the turn indicators. If that fails, revert to high beam "hot wire". connect to that.
  2. Finding the correct hot wire, tap with my own "red" wire and run that up to the nose.
  3. locate the black (ground) wire I already have in use there. (the one that makes the front white LEDs work)
  4. connect light to red wire and black wire
  5. turn on igntion.
  6. If light comes on, continue, else stop.
  7. disconnect light. run red "hot" wire up near instrument panel. splice in on/off toggle switch. drill hole, insert toggle, screw down toggle.
  8. install light to the nose underside panel. (lead wires go up into the space inside the nose.)
  9. run light red/black up through panel
  10. connect light red/black to red/black already there: red coming from toggle, black already there.
  11. turn on ignition to test. select high beam, throw toggle to ON. If light comes on, continue.
  12. continue if light comes
  13. if light does not come on, remove all wiring, put away tools and go have adult beverage
  14. make sure wires are zip tied down neatly.
  15. report success here.

That's the plan.... but as Moltke once said "No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy".

the diagrams all look like connect the dot puzzles. My eyes glaze over.

The next thing that will happen is this:

1. stand in front of my NC with a positap connector in my hand and try to locate a "running light" hot wire for the turn indicators. If that fails, revert to high beam "hot wire". connect to that.
  2. Finding the correct hot wire, tap with my own "red" wire and run that up to the nose.
  3. locate the black (ground) wire I already have in use there. (the one that makes the front white LEDs work)
  4. connect light to red wire and black wire
  5. turn on igntion.
  6. If light comes on, continue, else stop.
  7. disconnect light. run red "hot" wire up near instrument panel. splice in on/off toggle switch. drill hole, insert toggle, screw down toggle.
  8. install light to the nose underside panel. (lead wires go up into the space inside the nose.)
  9. run light red/black up through panel
  10. connect light red/black to red/black already there: red coming from toggle, black already there.
  11. turn on ignition to test. select high beam, throw toggle to ON. If light comes on, continue.
  12. continue if light comes
  13. if light does not come on, remove all wiring, put away tools and go have adult beverage
  14. make sure wires are zip tied down neatly.
  15. report success here.

That's the plan.... but as Moltke once said "No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy".

Good Luck. If you get stuck, there will be plenty of advice waiting here for you... ;)

I have the same light on mine, this is how it shines at night (0:37 switch on )
[video=youtube;J7hqcc0d4Cs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7hqcc0d4Cs[/video]

I connected it directly to the main beam with a switch, switching to high beam it goes off.
And removed the position light's bulb from the headlight and connected these LEDs ( both sides on the crash bar ) They are on all the time.
nc700_led_mounted.jpg

on ebay : Pair 5W High Power LED DRL Daytime Running Lights Driving Work 4WD BAR 05 12V | eBay

Looking at my NC's reflection in traffic today, I realized that the front turn indicators have running lights, but THEY ARE NOT ON ALL THE TIME.
When the turn indicator blinks, it goes OFF and ON...not Dim and bright... so there is no wire in there that is "hot" continuously.

So it seems like a good idea to tap headlight HIGH BEAM "hot". The extra light can only be ON, then, when the high beams are also on...

Looking at my NC's reflection in traffic today, I realized that the front turn indicators have running lights, but THEY ARE NOT ON ALL THE TIME.
When the turn indicator blinks, it goes OFF and ON...not Dim and bright... so there is no wire in there that is "hot" continuously.

So it seems like a good idea to tap headlight HIGH BEAM "hot". The extra light can only be ON, then, when the high beams are also on...

This has been a feature on Hondas since the 1970's. There is a running light cut-out switch built into the turn signal switch. The hot supply wire can be found on the switch pod connector to the main wiring harness.

Typically on all Honda's made in the 1970's and 1980's that I owned, the black wire was the "Hot Wire" and is controlled by the ignition switch. Refer to the wiring in the back of the Honda Shop Manual to find the feed wire to the left switch assembly.

This might be a good feature for your application. When the turn signal is on, your aux white lights will go off and the turn signal will stand out better on its own. My van has daytime running lights. By design, when the turn signal is on the white DRL on that side goes off so the turn signal is more obvious.

After 4 hours of work, the light is in and working.

Thank you for all who offered help even when yours truly was not especially receptive.

The light comes on with the High beams, and once high beams are ON, the Aux. light may be toggled ON/OFF with a small toggle switch I zip-tied on the left side just below the speedometer LCD.

Only two holes drilled on the bottom side of the nose access panel!

Posi-Tap connectors are amazing!

Pictures tomorrow when the light is better.

I did a test ride around our quiet neighborhood. It would be easy to say it's like the difference between night and day. It's NOT.
It's better than it was, so much so I think I'll keep it. (Still, it's all reversible should I change my mind.)

Bed time for us old folks now.

Here are some quickly taken early photos.
I want to take more with the fairings off so the NC will look more like itself.
headlight.jpg

switch.jpg

front.jpg

You lost about 1 1/2" of travel (without breaking something). but, as you are mainly a roadie, you should be good. I really like mine (and it's in the same place).

Nighttime pics! (or it didn't happen ;) )

You lost about 1 1/2" of travel (without breaking something). but, as you are mainly a roadie, you should be good. I really like mine (and it's in the same place).

I thought of your setup when I was installing it. You'd have to go off a pretty big bump to compress the front forks that much... The light seems very durable, and I did seal it with clear dap so water won't get in.

Night time pics... yes! I want to find a road with no street lights ... that's next on my list.

Well, it did happen, and here are the night time pics (uninteresting as they may be.)

I found a road with no street lights and no traffic... a short dead end in wine country around here.

1. dim light only (the bulb is LED not the original incandescent the NC came with.)
2. bright lights only (no LED augment)
3. bright lights with LED augment ON.

A01_dim.jpgA02_Brights.jpgA03_BrightsPlusLED.jpg

with the augment, the beam isn't as focused... seems more spread out.
It's a subtle difference to be sure.

Looks good! Your camera did a good job of maintaning the exposure setting and capturing the differences.

Picture #4 should be a deer posing 50 feet off the side of the road with your lights lighting it's eyes up as two green dots. That's what we're watching for, right?

deer-at-night.jpg

Last edited:
I do watch for that Yes, but I'm struggling with all this to learn wiring and how to read diagrams.
I wasn't very apperciative when the good people of this board posted them, but I'm learning...biting the bullet and learning.
I'm grateful for that.

I do watch for that Yes, but I'm struggling with all this to learn wiring and how to read diagrams.
I wasn't very apperciative when the good people of this board posted them, but I'm learning...biting the bullet and learning.
I'm grateful for that.

It pleases me to see that you completed your project and your are becoming more comfortable with working with electrical now. If you get stuck, you can send out a shout to many of us, including myself.

You did a great job and you desire kudos for it.

Back