• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Additional brake and tail lights

GgarryP

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another version of adding lights to increase rear visibility. I used two bullet shaped LEDs from OZ-USA.com. They look decent for the price. Made a bracket out of 1/16" x 1" aluminum angle painted black and fitted with the license plate bracket.

They look white when unlit.
e5ee6feb2c198e59de676d874b3588c2.jpg
5d1bf300b18b613cd5eff621390ee2c5.jpg
ad5710db2490bcb3effccf7e31722756.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'm concerned the strobing brake light would be confusing when a turn signal is flashing.

I have an Admore light bar and the modulating of the brake light is only for the first couple of seconds and then it goes full bright. The flash is to grab attention and will not be confused with the turn signal. The light bar I went with also has orange progressive turn signals built-in too, and there's no confusion generated!

I'm concerned the strobing brake light would be confusing when a turn signal is flashing.

Brake light flashers are usually programmable, but typical setup is 5 rapid flashes for 1 second, then steady on. The initial flashing grabs attention but is way too fast to be interpreted as a turn signal.

Mount a pair of Whelen TIR3 strobes about 12 inches apart on a 1 x 1/8 piece of aluminum bar stock that is screwed to the top holes of your license plate.

I programmed mine to flash 3 times and then repeat.

My thinking is that the driver coming at me in front is the driver I want to see my turn signal...Obviously rear strobes have no effect his vision (or lack of).

It is the driver coming up behind me with a coffee in one hand an his phone in the other that I want to wake up, ESPECIALLY at night or in bad weather when I'm a sitting duck, stopped in a left turning lane. The strobes will be ah, very visible under those conditons ;-)

Coming off a GL1800 (with the best rear lighting in the world) the NC's itty-bitty tail lamp just doesn't do it for me..

NOBODY will ever confuse a pair of Whelen red strobes for a turn signal....and after 50,000 miles, I will tell you that most drivers will notice you are stopping and keep off your @ss ;-)

Click on the link and hit the play icon ....Note that a third Whelen TIR3 would fit <perfectly> in the spot occupied by the stock rear reflector (directly under the tail lamp)...I'm thinking of putting a third one there and have it wig-wag against the other two or maybe set the pattern to steady on and use it as another brake light.

Yes, I have had LEO's behind me while stopping and never had an issue.

Brake - ldrider

Last edited:
Confession:
I was following a BMW with flashing brake lights- looked so cool...
But I am too much of a cheapskate to spend a ton of money for it;
so the item I posted fit the bill and it hasn't failed to do its job.

I've also gotten into the habit of braking multiple times as I come to a stop.
So whoever follows my rear will see a succession of flashes.

Confession:
I was following a BMW with flashing brake lights- looked so cool...
But I am too much of a cheapskate to spend a ton of money for it;
so the item I posted fit the bill and it hasn't failed to do its job.

So whoever follows my rear will see a succession of flashes.
Does the AT have LED brake lights or incandescents? LED controllers are pitiful using incandescent filament bulbs - the filament takes forever to heat up and produce light and the flash frequency is too fast for the bulb. LED's are almost instantaneous light and that's why your controller will work much better with LEDs.

The Feniex T3 works as well as a Whelen strobe and is nearly half the price at $29.00, and besides 14 different flash patterns it has a brake light flash a few-then-steady built into it (Whelen and other's don't). Body Mount LED Lights by Whelen, Feniex, SoundOff Signal and More - StrobesNMore.com

Braking multiple times (to let the guy behind you know your stopping) is ok under <normal> conditions and like you, I think that is a good practice

Strobes really shine in emergency situations where you don't have that luxury.

When you need to let the driver behind you know that you are stopping RIGHT NOW nothing grabs attention like an eye watering strobe, or two ;-)

I'm guessing that is why every emergency vehicle on earth has them ;-)

For me, the $54 spent on the Whelen TIR 3 was cheap insurance.

Last edited:
The Feniex T3 works as well as a Whelen strobe and is nearly half the price at $29.00, and besides 14 different flash patterns it has a brake light flash a few-then-steady built into it (Whelen and other's don't).

Whelen has about 25 flash patterns including Signal Alert Steady which is several quick flashes and then steady..

Here is sample of some Whelen's patterns: Lower right column, under Other look for Signal Steady....They also have a Signal Alert Brake which is similar.

I chose not to go for that type of strobe, since to me it sorta defeats the purpose...I already have a brake lamp.

Whelen Engineering Flash Patterns

Those Feniex strobes look pretty sweet....

Last edited:
Whelen has about 25 flash patterns including Signal Alert Steady which is several quick flashes and then steady..

Here is sample of some Whelen's patterns: Lower right column, under Other look for Signal Steady....They also have a Signal Alert Brake which is similar.

I chose not to go for that type of strobe, since to me it sorta defeats the purpose...I already have a brake lamp.

Whelen Engineering Flash Patterns

Those Feniex strobes look pretty sweet....

Thanks for that info about the Whelen. I have a Whelen TIR3 on the ST and 10 years ago when I bought it it did not have a flash five then steady on. Like you, I wouldn't use that mode anyway preferring a rapid continuous flash.

I have a Whelen LIN3 mounted below the license plate set to continous flash. BRIGHT! I've often wondered if it would have saved my *** on that foggy morining back in 88 when I got rear ended on my way to work. :(

Thanks everyone. I decided to add the cheap GS-100A led flasher. It was easy to add and works well. I added it only to the two additional led lights and not the OEM light.

Back