• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Advice needed on reducing spray onto the bike

Red hassett

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all. Looking for some advice on reducing the amount of water spray onto the bike when the roads are wet.

I was out on the bike today and it was raining pretty hard. When I stopped and looked at the passenger seat I noticed it was covered in dirty water. That's not such a big deal but the back of my jacket and arms are getting pretty mucky.

I have recently fitted the pyramid plastics ductail, skidmarx rear hugger and fenda extenda - doesn't seem to make much difference.

Bike still has the standard screen. I wonder if the spray is being directed over the small front screen, over my helmet and down my back?

Any suggestions / advice from the gurus out there?

Thanks!

Richard

*rant*

Alas, that's another gripe I have with "modern" bikes. Over-styling. Back in the day, a bike would come with appropriate enough fenders to keep muck off (most) you and the machine. If you wanted to pretend to be a racer boy, you could cut off or remove whatever offending bits of plastic or metal that were there offending your delicate sensibilities.

If you didn't want to be covered in roadspray or have your rad filled up with gunk, you could leave well enough alone.

Nowadays, 99.99% of bikes come with stupid little shorty front fenders that don't actually "fender" sweet fawk all. You have to pay extra money to add on and make the things work.

If you want a rear fender eliminator, more power to you! I've removed the entire rear section on my CBR, and put on a little shorty carbon fibre front one, because *I* wanted too. I knew to live with the resultant downside.

I didn't want to do this with the NCX, but guess what? An OEM silly little micro front fender, and an over-styled, sky high, ass in the air poser design rear end, that is next to useless to keep mud and spray off you and the bike. Stupid!

I was covered in mud and roadgrime from head to toe, the back of my jacket, helmet, passenger seat, bodywork, everything! from a very mild little ride on the previous weekend, where I did not go out of my way to go ripping through mud or puddles.

*/rant*

LOL

As far as trying to minimise some of this, it sounds like you are doing your best R.H. I think that duck tail is too small to really be effective, though. I would think you would need a more substantial construct back there to prevent the crap from getting all over the seat/bodywork and your jacket, helmet. (It's all from the rear, not over the front and then back down, as far as I can tell.)

My F800ST had a large rear fender extension OEM (that even many Dealers would remove and sell the bikes without it, because of modern day "styling" brainwashing influencing potential purchasers!) that worked very well.

Barring a larger fender than just a vestigial ducktail accessory add on, the only other thing I can think of is a more encompassing hugger, (which might make rear tire/wheel removal a wee bit more of a hassle) or how about something along the lines of other BMW GS-type bike offerings, those devices attached to the rear swingarms that essentially intercept the roadspray as low as possible coming off the tire?

Of course you would need to work at it to make the contraption fit, maybe more than it's worth, but it's an idea anyway. ;)

Oh, another thing I forgot to ask- what do you have as far as luggage racks go? Nothing? Having one can help a lot. If you have a luggage rack on the rear, it extends back enough (usually) to help a little.

Add on a tail pack or top box, and I'm fairly sure a vast majority of muck will not make it's way all the way to you and the passenger seat.

Last ditch accessory-always ride with an understanding passenger. haha!

Back