• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Advice on NOT Hitting Deer?

Another plus to living in Arkansas is the deer seem to be a bit smaller than where I lived in Illinois. I'm not saying I want to run over Bambi but if I gotta hit one I hope it is small.

Another plus to living in Arkansas is the deer seem to be a bit smaller than where I lived in Illinois. I'm not saying I want to run over Bambi but if I gotta hit one I hope it is small.

I guess the corn here in Illinois is more fattening. They eat well right here in my yard, too. :)

100_4525s.jpg

Greg

Last edited:
Went out for my morning walk and the fog is nice and thick. That is another concern this time of year. Rut and Fog. Deer doing stupid things and you can't see them. Be careful out there guys/gals.

Differences in size of the deer might be due to different breeds. Whitetails are smaller than Mule deer.
We have mule deer, antelope and if I head into Colorado or Wyoming there are elk, moose and buffalo.
It's usually just the smaller critters that jump out in front of you though.

Nice rack. Hope you got him hunting with a weapon other than your MC.
Looks bigger in the picture, but a nice small 9 pointer. I got him with a crossbow 200 yards from my backdoor of my house. During hunting seasons I shoot as many as legally possible-went 35 years without hitting a single one and I have hit 2 (with my jeep) in the last 5 years-dang forest rats. Almost hit a few with my bikes, but so far I have missed them. It seems with the NC700x, they run as fast as possible away from the NC700x, as if they don't like hearing the exhaust. I went on a quick 8 mile ride yesterday-testing my trashcan windshield mod- and had deer in 5 different spots spook away from the bike-hey, marketing idea, make deer whistles which sound like the NC700 :)

I was just thinking about this the other day. I hope to god I never hit a deer on my motorcycle, but rather in a twisted way wondered what would happen if I were to hit one in my jeep? lol.

Douglas Adams wrote that the secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss. I think the secret to not hitting deer is along the same lines.

wondered what would happen if I were to hit one in my jeep? lol.

Have you also wondered what the smell of decomposing deer entrails percolating in your air vents, radiator fins, and other various nooks and crannies of your engine compartment/undercarriage would be like for the forseeable future? :D :D

Revenge, I say revenge:

If the moderators find this too gross, please delete.

Not gross at all. Looks like yummy steaks to me! I've managed to avoid hitting any deer even with 100's of thousands of riding miles in my lifetime (knock on wood with that statement), but I still go for pre-emptive revenge on an annual basis:

2010buckzoom.jpg

I will say that I do what I can to avoid deer strikes by being more aware during nighttime/early morning/evenings when they are more active. I also always hit the brakes to slow as much as possible when I see deer near the road because those suicidal forest rats will jump right out in front of you at the last minute. For example, last June I was coming across Sherman Pass in WA when I saw a moose on the right side of the road. I slowed down and as I got near he decided to cross the road in front of me rather than go off the roadside he was standing on. Good thing I was going very slow because that's one BIG deer to hit!

Have you also wondered what the smell of decomposing deer entrails percolating in your air vents, radiator fins, and other various nooks and crannies of your engine compartment/undercarriage would be like for the forseeable future? :D :D

Considering my jeep sits on 37's, and a 4 inch suspension lift.. I would be amazed if the deer could get that high lol..

A lot of hunters already know how not to hit deer!

Douglas Adams wrote that the secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss. I think the secret to not hitting deer is along the same lines.
I know a lot of hunters that are very good at missing deer. Must be "buck fever!":rolleyes:

The first one I hit with my jeep jumped off the side of a hill 'down' onto my jeep. Didn't see it until it landed on my hood grill: smashed radiator, hood, both front fenders, cracked windshield-and this was doing less than 25mph (airbags did not deploy).
The second one I hit jumped out from some ornamental grasses next to the highway, I was able to slow down some (couldn't swerve-oncoming car and another deer behind it) to less than 25 mph (from 50mph) but about the same amount of damage, except radiator shroud and ac compressor was also destroyed.

The first one I hit with my jeep jumped off the side of a hill 'down' onto my jeep. Didn't see it until it landed on my hood grill: smashed radiator, hood, both front fenders, cracked windshield-and this was doing less than 25mph (airbags did not deploy).
The second one I hit jumped out from some ornamental grasses next to the highway, I was able to slow down some (couldn't swerve-oncoming car and another deer behind it) to less than 25 mph (from 50mph) but about the same amount of damage, except radiator shroud and ac compressor was also destroyed.

You need to change your cologne. Your attracting the dang things.

Back