• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

African Twin

I really need to stop reading this thread!

I love my NCX and I have it farkled just the way I like it, plus I'm not even close to being able to read it to its limits.

I don't need an Africa Twin.

But I really, really want one. :)

I am having a problem with wanting another bike. Stop this! I need at least one more year on this bike. I talked to the Honda dealer today and was told that one of the new AT's wasn't spoken for yet.

He also said that the NC700X might be hard to resale because Honda has given big rebates to dealers on the new NC and they would be selling pretty cheap. I think I will keep mine and add the big Versy to the stable. NO!

Last edited:
I really need to stop reading this thread!

I love my NCX and I have it farkled just the way I like it, plus I'm not even close to being able to read it to its limits.

I don't need an Africa Twin.

But I really, really want one. :)

This is no problem to worry about, as the Africa Twin is currently back ordered for months!

I sure wish that picture came from the USA, but the white units are not sold in the USA. I ordered my AT on the first day that it was possible to order an AT in the USA. Dealer told me delivery sometime in May to June.

I sure wish that picture came from the USA, but the white units are not sold in the USA. I ordered my AT on the first day that it was possible to order an AT in the USA. Dealer told me delivery sometime in May to June.
Really! Darn, white is the color I want. Guess I'll just have to keep the NC and wait until we get the white. LOL

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Really! Darn, white is the color I want. Guess I'll just have to keep the NC and wait until we get the white. LOL

I wouldn't hold my breath, I was trying to hold out for the NC750X, glad I gave up on waiting for it to come to the USA. It seems we don't get to many options in the US

I wouldn't hold my breath, I was trying to hold out for the NC750X, glad I gave up on waiting for it to come to the USA. It seems we don't get to many options in the US
Yeah, I wanted a white NC too. So I just ended up Plasti-Dipping it white. I'm just trying to make excuses why not to blow another $15 dollars buying a new motorcycle and then having to farkle that one too. I've blown a lot of money recently on the NC so I'd be stupid to get rid of it now.

Do you know if we can get the Dakar Red with DCT?

Do you know if we can get the Dakar Red with DCT?
Yes, the DCT comes in red and silver this year in the USA. Finding one might be a problem. BTW, the official designation is Deluxe for DCT and Standard for the manual transmission.

You're right. Just sealed the deal. One red deluxe.
The sales guy said he could get it in red. I guess he knows
what he's talking about. Got a good deal, considering they can't
keep these on the floor too long.

Below is not the DCT version. My Deluxe comes in next week.

CRF1000LD_RallyRed (800x571).jpg
Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So I brought her home today.
Between sourcing the bike I wanted, and delivery only took 10 days for me.
Must have been my lucky timing.
Too bad the dealership is only 28 miles from my house.
How was it?

I'm speechless. Like awesome, yeah just wow.
Every cager must have dropped their cell phone
as I roared past them. :cool:

So I brought her home today.
Between sourcing the bike I wanted, and delivery only took 10 days for me.
Must have been my lucky timing.
Too bad the dealership is only 28 miles from my house.
How was it?

I'm speechless. Like awesome, yeah just wow.
Every cager must have dropped their cell phone
as I roared past them. :cool:

Did you get a DCT or a manual? I have been waiting for my DCT for ever! I was one of the first people to order the DCT.

Take it easy, OCR.:D
I didn't take yours.
But once you do, you have to tell me
how you flat foot it. Even with the lower seat in the lower position,
I am barely flat footing. It'll be OK once the pack goes on it.
goin' for a spin around the 'hood, now

Did you get a DCT or a manual? I have been waiting for my DCT for ever! I was one of the first people to order the DCT.

With bags and truck installed are the AT's I have been able to flat foot. Once I ever (if ever) get my AT, my bags and truck will be the first things I install.

My AT is ready for the 1st maintenance item, oil and clutch filter change.
I chose to it myself, as I have done so with my NCX. The only difference
is that there are two drain bolts and a separate fill hole (in addition to the dip stick which is fairly narrow)
just like you find in cars under the hood. Also, you can use the same filters as you did on the NC (don't have to throw out your stockpile)

My break-in period consisted of riding moderately in mostly flat suburban roads with the bike in stock condition.
As I got near the recommended 300mi. I rode to my favorite stomping grounds near Suches, GA.
On the interstate I let her out (to about 115) which happens quickly and never seen on my NC tach. (doh)
Rpm was nowhere near limit and it felt like she had much more to give. Wished I was on the Autobahn.
My confidence level on the new gen DCT was confirmed in each of the different riding modes.
Of note, if you don't already know, the AT dual clutch has an addition called 'assist clutch' in which the
ECM controls the amount of clutch slippage. The implementation is fairly liberal and seems to work.
This is also why, in any driving mode, the paddle shifters will allow you to downshift more liberally than the
restrictive NCX. Every time I downshift aggressively, where the engine braking effect is almost the same
as regular braking, you can hear the clutch slippage- it is a subtle sound, but confirmation of the system working.

As far as the additional S-modes, I am still trying to find situations where each level would be most appropriate.
Since I haven't been able to take it offroad yet, I will defer judgement. Here is the first surprise: D (dull) mode.
The D mode in the AT has been transformed into a "dare" mode. Like the NCX, it shifts up quickly into 6th gear and
that's where the similarity ends. You awaken the sleeping monster within the 970cc by the twist of the throttle.
It will literally 'roar' into submission and take each of the gears close to the limiter before shifting up the last second.
The sound of the air rushing into the cylinders mixed with the deep rumble of the stock exhaust is why I bought it.
I am comparing with Ducati XDiavel, BMW1000XR, Aprillia Tuono to name a few that I demo'd as a comparison.
The implementation of the incline/decline detection was blah on paper as it is in actual riding situations. I don't
know where it would help?

...to be continued

Back