• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Aftermarket heated grips

Rtreat49

Reaction score
Visit site
I used these on two other bikes
Heated Grip Kit :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
they work great, just have to drill and mount the hi-lo-off switch. Trying to save money and not use the OEM heated grips.
Dealer says the throttle side grip will have to be cut off to put the Rider Warehouse wraps on, not the case before.
So has anyone used good after market grips ? gel ?
Oh ………….. since it's 70 degrees today …. I'm picking the new bike up ! and not waiting till the Givi Trekker TRK33N (x3) come in ☺

I prefer the Symtec Heated grip option. The ones you show run full power all the time. to set them on "LO" it just introduces the resistor and bleeds off some of the wattage as lost heat.

The Symtecs have 2 different heating circuits in the elements and are different wattages at "LO" or "HI". I've had them on my V-Strom for years and they work great.

This link shows them at $50.00, but they can be had for much less.

External Handlebar Warmer Kit Motorcycle MT/RR

500MTRR.jpg

Regardless, if you do use this style of grip heaters, make sure you wrap the clutch side of the handlebar with some form of insulation before you put the heating element on. If you put it straight on the steel, the handlebar will act like a big heat sink and the throttle side grip will always be much warmer than the clutch side. I found some silicone tape in my local hardware store and it worked great.

rescue-tape.jpg

I prefer the Symtec Heated grip option. The ones you show run full power all the time. to set them on "LO" it just introduces the resistor and bleeds off some of the wattage as lost heat.

The Symtecs have 2 different heating circuits in the elements and are different wattages at "LO" or "HI". I've had them on my V-Strom for years and they work great.

500MTRR.jpg

Regardless, if you do use this style of grip heaters, make sure you wrap the clutch side of the handlebar with some form of insulation before you put the heating element on. If you put it straight on the steel, the handlebar will act like a big heat sink and the throttle side grip will always be much warmer than the clutch side. I found some silicone tape in my local hardware store and it worked great.

rescue-tape.jpg

I'm using something very similar. I thing I got mine for about $20US. I just taped them straight to the grips as I've been using Grip Puppies or a foam grip addition that slides over the grips to provide a little more comfort.

I have the R&G grips on my NC with 5 settings - however I don't really rate them that much. Mind you i had original Honda ones on my transalp and they were just as bad!

I've got a set of Symtechs on order and I plan to pair it with a mounted Warm and Safe Heat troller. That's the best combination I've ever used, in conjunction with hand guards. I perfer those to my heated gloves since it cuts my gear up time by a few minutes and I can't ever forget to bring it.

500MTRR.jpg

rescue-tape.jpg
The Symtech heating elements are now sized differently for the clutch and throttle sides in order to account for the heat sink affect. In the past when these were sold as ATV grip warmers and the elements were the same for both sides the need to insulate the clutch side was more important than today's kits that have a labeled clutch and throttle side. I have these on two bikes presently and the grips measure 10 to 12 degrees F of each other without insulating the clutch side element from the metal handlebar. I wish Dual Star/Symtech would update their install instructions as they still recommend using heat shrink or tape under the clutch element.

Edit to add: The OEM throttle side grip is formed or molded over a throttle tube that is covered with small bumps and sharp, notched edges on either end of it. If you are careful and methodical you can remove the oem grip intact. I used a long thin screwdriver to break the bond of the grip to the tube and eased the grip off. The bumps prevent sticking the heat element around the throttle tube so they have to be shaved off with a knife or razor blade to present a smooth surface to wrap the heating element around. Then slip the old grip back over the assembly if that is your preference or use aftermarket grips to complete the install.

Last edited:
I went with HotGrips and a WarmNSafe controller.

wgwgoldwing-albums-heated-gear-picture1193-heat01.jpg

wgwgoldwing-albums-heated-gear-picture1194-heat02.jpg

wgwgoldwing-albums-heated-gear-picture1197-heat05.jpg

I've used this combo on three other bikes and have had really good luck with them. I like that the HotGrips are a bit fatter than the standard grips. Gives me a little more grip to grab.

WGW

I like the Symtec Grips because they let me put any grip on that I like. My running favorites are the Progrip 714. They're gel grips and fat in the middle which stave off hand cramps.

Back