• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Again with the frunk

mooseonbass

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally had a failure with my frunk on my 2012 NC700x; the key turned but didn’t engage the latch. Couldn’t get in to it, no matter what I tried. After 3 hours of that, I slipped a long screwdriver beside the latching mechanism, tapped it gently (ok, not gently, with a pair of huge vise grips), uttered some magical incantation that cannot be uttered in polite company, and it opened. I cut the hook off so it won’t happen again and taped it shut until I can get new parts. I’m glad to have my phone and wallet back.

I have installed, per suggestions and instructions on this forum, a secret way to open the frunk lid in the event of latch failure. Reading how you had trouble (sorry you did), I feel good that I made the mod. When I was embarking on a long trip to Newfoundland, I knew if the frunk latch failed I‘d be in big trouble, so that prompted me to take extra precautions.

I’d like to hear these instructions you refer to. I also need to get around to modifying my rear seat latch for the same reason.

I had to use my secret emergency release a couple weeks ago. Lock cylinder had become gunked up. Got it open with ‘cable‘ I added, removed lock and cleaned it. All good again. If you haven’t done this yet I highly recommend !!!

Cables are not good at attaching by twisting. I'm thinking you could use a nylon string or some rebar tying wire. Also the picture shows the latch end but not seeing where the other end goes or how it works.

I didn't mean to imply that there is an inherent problem with these bikes, but I've seen a couple of people talk about the cable slipping out. Most of the frunk issues are people trying to avoid lock-outs, I think. Mine just failed. I ordered replacement parts so I can take it apart and fix it. I hope they get here soon! I just needed some sympathetic ears to whine to.

Last edited:
I'm thinking you could just use a piece of nylon string (strong), tie it to the lock lever, put a knot on the loose end after you dye it with a black marking pen, and tape it in the bottom front of the lid crack with black tape. Nobody would ever look it there. (Right in front of the lid).

I just taped an extra key in a good place...................problem solved
Not solved if the cable separates from the latch, or other mechanism failure.

OK, I didn't know they had a "failing problem", and I would think the "fix" would fail in that case also.
If you read threads on the subject, you might well find specific mechanical failure instances described.

Back