• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Air Filter

potter0o

Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Completed the air filter change today on the 700S. I had taken some of the panels off previously so I had some experience with that portion. I had seen some videos that made it seem complex. Reviewed it in the service manual and completed re and re in about 1.5 hours. The process was easier than I had anticipated. Like most things, taking my time and being careful worked perfectly.

Filter below had 19,250 km (11,961 mi) on it of street riding.

DSCN0351.jpg

Looks almost new! I would have put it back in for another 20,000 or 30,000 km.

Ugh, I need to do this. Last time I had it almost back together, then dropped one of the last fasteners and spent the next hour taking things apart and looking for it.

Some day when I am bored I am going to turn my bike upside-down with my excavator and shake all of the dropped fasteners out of it.

Some day when I am bored I am going to turn my bike upside-down with my excavator and shake all of the dropped fasteners out of it.

Come to Illinois, where the roads are rough enough the lost hardware will itself shake out. :)

For anyone who might be interested - to change the air filter you only need to remove the three body panels indicated in the photo, and the battery cover. I didn't keep track, so its up to the user to figure out what screws and clips need to be removed, but it's not too tough to figure out. The silver side pieces come off first with some clips and a screw at the back end, and then slide backward. The center piece takes a little work but you can eventually get it pulled out of the way. The air box is below it, there are six screws that hold it together - four accessible from the front, two from the the battery access port. You want to pull the top part of the cover with the air filter intact to be able to get the whole thing out of there - and disconnect the sensor on the left rear of it when convenient.

20170429_150511.jpg

Last edited:
2016+ is a bit different.

It's got this ring of plastic called the 'Inner Upper Cover'

8d392ab2efc1b9af252cc08d6a4e6234.jpg

You don't have to remove the Meter stay to get it out, contrary to the manual. :)

In order to get that thing off, the 'Side Panel' and 'Front Side Cowl/Middle Cowl' have to come off:

879c0f6df4f170e810ad4002e5695136.jpg

This one is a PITA and you should practice some origami or those Chinese puzzle toys before attempting:

5f36edc6569b6600119fa78d6f777717.jpg

Then you can pull out the center cover to expose the air box: (disconnecting lock cables is not necessary.)

3970b77df04284318c4cffb09c923a86.jpg

There are two screws on the airbox that are accessed by removing the maintenance lid aka battery cover.

4705ea2b4372444a222b1942dbfa1a9e.jpg

Don't let it scare ya, it's easy. Just take your time, take pictures to help remember where the screws go. Take a picture of it in your hand, next to the location where it goes. The bolts and trim clips look similar but they are not all the same on the 2016+.

Getting all the crap back on?

"Installation the removed parts in the reverse order of removal" [emoji51]

(Take lots of pictures before you pull a panel off...)

Make sure to show the wife the bike when it looks like this:

0ba3cf0fda1ebe2cefcd360723a54d67.jpg

[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
SuperTux1 - Good point! - mine is an original 2012, not sure what changes or mods they've made since then

Last edited:
Back