• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Alaska bound

what next

Reaction score
Visit site
So been thinking about going to Alaska again. The projects are done, I have the time. Think I will take off tomorrow. I plan on staying at University of Alaska in Fairbanks for 4 days to a week, they have great rates for motorcyclist. Stayed their before it works out good. If I get a couple of dry days may run up to Deadhorse. Somewhere along the way I have to make it into the Northwest Territory.
So if anyone is in the area pm me here and maybe we can run together for awhile.

Now THAT'S what I call a spur of the moment trip! And to think, I've been planning my trip from Albuquerque to Spearfish, SD for a year. Have a safe trip and enjoy yourself!

rubuzaqa.jpg

Well I made 698 miles today, ended in small motel in Jamestown N. D. All interstates but had terrible headwinds. Will slow down now and head toward Sasktoon never taken that route before.

Awesome, man! Keep us posted so we can ride along with you.

enuhadyn.jpg

Ok I am getting terrible mileage. I topped off this morning 2.4 gal and only 98 miles. The winds are terrible, on interstate yesterday last section I could not maintain 75.
Things got better wind let up and sun is shining did another 620 miles got past Saskatoon. Gas is running around $4.88 a gal. Did get 57 mpg on last tank. So the Days Inn cost $111 last night , I tried a Motel 6 tonight $139 but they were full. So out in the little town of Radisson past Saskatoon Mom n pop have a great room and internet for $77 and it works.
Ran into a Harley rider at border he was going to Fairbanks also, he said it was his first time to Alaska , and could he ride with me ? Sure,, but I am not going the Ice Field Parkway route and if you haven't seen that you have to go that way. So I got out the atlas and told him what to see.
I am not taking pictures this is a boring route I am on, I kinda just want to get to Alaska fast. Heading towards Edmonton, Grande Prairie and Dawson Creek tomorrow.

Last edited:
I did take a picture of the oil field workers rv camps near Minot ND . Also this valley and I bet a hundred hills had dates on them.
eja9y5ar.jpg
ameryse5.jpg

I did take a picture of the oil field workers rv camps near Minot ND . Also this valley and I bet a hundred hills had dates on them.
eja9y5ar.jpg
ameryse5.jpg

Do you remember where exactly you were when you saw those dates on the hills? No hurry. I just curious.

edute6em.jpg
9usydega.jpg
3amyzy2e.jpg

Ok rode 16 past Edmonton then got on 43 made it to Grande Prairie. So I am in Alberta. All of this is 4 lane highway with a 100k limit 68 mph I like to run 70 but that is just keeping up with the trucks.
So I see a lot of this yellow stuff in the fields, smells good. The wells are everywhere. Oil fracking from North Dakota to Grande Prairie oil fracking is big time. The motels are full of workers and large tanker trucks and double tankers hauling the chemicals they are pumping into the ground, crazy busy everywhere.
So I had a nice start this morning , no wind. Stopped for gas and my Tim Horton fix. Started to take off when I thought oops I didn't do my check. Been looking things over pretty good lately. What the f the clip is missing from the chain!! Ya I put a new chain on about month ago, used a clip. I am in Lloyminster big town , lucky for me. I find the Honda dealer he has a link , but the only mechanic that knows how to press it on is out with broken arm. Off to the Harley dealer next door, he has never pressed one on in 40 years always used clips never ever had one go missing. Doesn't have the tools to press it. That is exactly what I said too. So he takes off 15 minutes later he is back with another clip link. I just want to get going so whatever. He did not even have to squeeze link together the clip just went right on nice and tight. The only thing he did that I never did is look at clip really close most are perfectly flat some have a tweak , this one had a small tweak to it so he put it on so the tweak was putting pressure on towards chain. So I will be checking chain every time I take off. Geez back in the 60s I use to take my chain off every 2 weeks soak it in oil and then put it back on with the same clip link , never had one go missing.
Wind really beat me up this afternoon I was happy to find a room in Grande Prairie I stayed here 4 years ago but didn't recognize anything it has really grown. I will be on Alaska Hwy tomorrow.

Last edited:
2ute4u8y.jpg
abyhavuz.jpg

So I am on the Alaskan Hwy, traffic thinned out and the weather turned nice.
Found out yesterday the winds were 30 mph gusting to 50, beat me up.
Had to use the Gerbings this morning ,cold with a little mist.
Gas is up to $1.549 a litre that comes out to $5.73 a gallon I think.
So I am in Fort Nelson found a cheap room for $89. It is 600 miles to Whitehorse tomorrow made my reservations at a place I stayed at 5 years ago.

Last edited:
Alaska Highway pic looks beautiful! Nice road, great scenery, no traffic.

rapetepu.jpg
5ape3ybu.jpg
huha4e7y.jpg
adygene9.jpg
e3e8yte3.jpg
e7ute4eb.jpg

Oh man I wrote a big story but internet cut me off here. So short form saw some great stuff today ran into Matthew from forum saw moose bear carabou

Last edited:
Back