• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Alternator Output

I was checking out heated gear. Looks like for pants, jacket liner, gloves and socks it uses about 170 watts. The Gerbing site says to figure 300 watts for a fuel injection bike running lights and all so it only leaves 120 for running accessories. So based on that running full heated gear would be out or am I missing something?

I was checking out heated gear. Looks like for pants, jacket liner, gloves and socks it uses about 170 watts. The Gerbing site says to figure 300 watts for a fuel injection bike running lights and all so it only leaves 120 for running accessories. So based on that running full heated gear would be out or am I missing something?

You are out two things that I can see:

1) You will not likely be running 5000 rpm so the output would be less than 420 watts
2) If you are running all that heated gear flat out, it is the wrong day to be on a motorcycle.

What I chose to do was to install a voltage monitor. If I run so much extra load that the system voltage cannot hold, then I turn something off or down. You can hook anything you want up to it. You just can't run it all at once.

Start with just a jacket liner and gloves. You'd be surprised how warm your extremities can be if you keep your core warm.

WGW

Yes you aren't far out. I have the full Warmnsafe stuff plus Honda heated grips. But as Beemerphile implies, it's unlikely you will ever run it at full whack, and the controllers these days are very efficient in that they pulse the power to reduce the heat. I invested in the dual controller because I generally want less juice going to the pants and socks. Also, you will find that in the depths of winter you will probably wear a good insulating jacket on top of the heated jacket liner. If this is primaloft or down, then again you will find that you turn the jacket down. My guess is that you will never use more than 100watts
Mike

Back