• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anyone know how the NCs are doing?

kebrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know how the NCs are doing in the Rally?

In the 2015 Iron Butt Rally of course.

KEB

Last edited:
Here is a link to the 2015 Iron Butt Rally page:

Iron Butt Rally - 2015

The Spotwalla link is to a map of the United States with markers displaying the riders' location. The numbers attached to each marker is randomized daily to protect the privacy of the riders. I click on the link to open a page and wait 15-20 minutes to open a second one so I can click back and forth to animate the map.

This a link to a Youtube video posted from the FJRforum:

2015 IBR Leg 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OgkCrOxNhM&feature=youtu.be

We won't know how the riders are doing point-wise until after the end of Leg One when the checkpoint at the starting hotel in Albuquerque, NM opens at 2000 (8PM for you Luddites) tonight. The penalty for being late is 1% of your total points for every one minute you are late. A time window opens at 2000 but I'm not sure how long it stays open, half an hour IIRC.

Rally staff has requested riders not to report their progress during the rally.

Last edited:
I have read the updates and there was a comical exchange quoted from one of our NC riders regarding the Snake River bridge. I hope our guys are having a great time. Might have to swing by Kingsport when the rally comes through on Sunday. Maybe a certain Dr Dave can meet The Girl and I there for lunch with his DCT.

KEB

First leg standings are posted

One of our guys (John Tan) is in 78th place and has a bit of work to get to finisher status. I do not know LD_rider's (Rob in Maine) last name but the worst place Rob or Robert is 70th and the best is 23rd.

Anyone know Rob's last name?

One of our guys (John Tan) is in 78th place and has a bit of work to get to finisher status. I do not know LD_rider's (Rob in Maine) last name but the worst place Rob or Robert is 70th and the best is 23rd.

Anyone know Rob's last name?

As far as I know there are only two NC700XD's in the rally.

It looks like:
Rob Jaime (NC700xd) in 60th
Jerome Byrd (NT700v) in 71st
Jon Tan (NC700xd) in 78th

It looks like:
Rob Jaime (NC700xd) in 60th
Jerome Byrd (NT700v) in 71st
Jon Tan (NC700xd) in 78th

Update at the end of leg 2. Crap, they ride a lot of miles and have passed through a lot of states - and in some rotten weather.
Rob in 66th
Jon in 71st
Jerome in 77th

Update at the end of leg 2. Crap, they ride a lot of miles and have passed through a lot of states - and in some rotten weather.
Rob in 66th
Jon in 71st
Jerome in 77th

Rob must have the most points per mile. He has the least number of miles after leg 2 at just over 4200 miles. Not likely to make the podium, but that only around 600 miles per day and he's in 60th. I'm impressed.

Tan had another funny mention in the day 8 (?) write up...he had lost his gas cap and was using a peanut butter jar cap to cover the opening until he got to the leg 2 check in. Picture in the write up is hilarious.

I think they'll both finish, but they're probably hitting the wall about now. Pretty cool to have two NCs in the race. I also noticed that there is a Deauville in the race as well. Not sure if he/she is still in it.

Our man Tan keeps making the highlights, more fun stuff from him in the Day 10 report. Best news is he was in Nebraska so it looks like he could practically coast to a finish which is incredible for any IBR rookie. Would be something to see two NC700x DCT pilots get finisher pins in the 2015 rally.

KEB

Our guys made it to the finish. Rob Jamie finished 70th and Johnathan "Hammy" Tan was 73rd. Looks like Rob Jamie rode the most efficient route in the rally as he clocked the least miles of any finisher at 7,569. Smart guy. Must be from Maine or something (I grew up in Bangor :D).

Just awesome work guys.

Notable stuff:

Eric Jewell, a consistent high finisher took the top spot on an ST1300 that died from a bad fuel pump at the finish line. The win could have been Josh Mountain's (FJR1300) but a 1,000 point call in bonus message did not get recorded by the rally phone system. Instead of winning the rally by over 800 points he lost by less than 150. Jewell had 106,653 points, Mountain 106,492. They both clocked over 11,000 miles (Eric 11,087, Josh 11,986) and did the minimum 25 states while Eric had 108 park visits and Josh had 103.

Kurt Worden finished 37th. On a Ninja 250. Outstanding.

Chris Comly finished 62nd on a stock 2006 HD Sportster.

Al Holtsberry completed his 4th IBR. At 79 he became the oldest finisher ever in the event. He did 1,283 miles in the final 24 hours to finish 66th. The very definition of inspirational.

Link to the latest write-up - http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2015/FinalStandings.pdf.pdf

2015 IBR site - Iron Butt Rally - 2015

Last edited:
I hope we do get some information on how the bikes did throughout the rally. I'm also interested in how they are holding up afterwards. Some pretty amazing riding by the whole field. This race is addictive to follow. Don't think I have the make up of a IBR rider, so I'll continue to live vicariously through the various motorcycle forums coverage. Still can't believe the Ninja 250...wow...

I'm having withdrawals since the ibr ended. It is truly an amazing event. I would like to see a Spot breadcrumb trail of all the riders over the whole 11 days. As doc says, I would also like to hear how the Nc's held up and how they're doing now.

Still can't believe that Josh Mountain missed out on the overall win because a phone call that he made wasn't captured by the event's Phone bank. Heartbreaking....
>T

As doc says, I would also like to hear how the Nc's held up and how they're doing now.
I arrived back in Maine from Albuquerque early Tuesday morning....About 4,500 miles out and back just for the start which means I've done a lot of riding the last few weeks..

It was one heck of a rally and the motorcycle performed fine. No major issues/problems other than a flakey fuel gauge that I could never trust.

Some of the worst weather I've dealt with on a motorcycle. Rain, rain, and more rain started at the beginning of Leg 2 and never actually stopped for the rest of the rally. Other riders on different routes reported very little rain (one or two days)...Made travel at night a challenge.

In the 2011 IBR I crashed about 10 hours from the finish, so I knew that the ride wasn't over till, well it is over. I was one happy camper when I rolled into the parking lot of the Sheraton after 11 days...

Still decompressing and getting back to normal routines...Will post up a ride report in a few days..

Rob. Great Job!.. I am sure I am not the only one who will be watching for your report. I really got hooked on the daily reports of the IBR. Congrats on a terrific performance.
>Thom

I came in dead last of the non-hopeless class bikes but I had a great time (with the exception of Nebraska which tried to kill me). My bike however appears to have suffered an ailing fuel pump, or at least, that's what it seems to be like, and had to 'limp' home (had to maintain 6th gear in MT and between 55 and 80mph or every time she downshifted, she would buck and jerk like she was starved for gas). Either way, happy to be home and proud to be one of 3 automatics that started and finished the rally (Lynda Lahman was on a BMW C650GT and had a fantastic rally).

Hammy
IBA #542

I came in dead last of the non-hopeless class bikes but I had a great time (with the exception of Nebraska which tried to kill me). My bike however appears to have suffered an ailing fuel pump, or at least, that's what it seems to be like, and had to 'limp' home (had to maintain 6th gear in MT and between 55 and 80mph or every time she downshifted, she would buck and jerk like she was starved for gas). Either way, happy to be home and proud to be one of 3 automatics that started and finished the rally (Lynda Lahman was on a BMW C650GT and had a fantastic rally).

Hammy
IBA #542

A saying from the AERC (an equine endurance riding organization): 'To finish is to Win'. Great job guys. I ride a lot and do 800 mile days frequently, but there is no way I can do 600-800 mile days for 11 days in a row. Anyone who finishes this rally is an endurance rider of the 10th degree. Congrats for the finish man.

Back