• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anyone put a new headlight lamp in ?

Rtreat49

Reaction score
Visit site
High beam burned out at 12,000 miles, high beam on all day rides, every day, no car.
Got a H4 9003 lamp, not a SilverStar due to short lives on them in the past.
My question for anyone having done the change - Is there room in there without removing any body work ? All other bikes have had plenty of room but this one seems tight, I just don't want to start trying to unplug any void night rides if it doesn't go well.
and

hi yes fitted new bulb yesterday , quite a tight squeeze , found it easier to attack from underneath , not the easiest , but be patient you will get there just don't touch the glass on the bulb

I put a Cyclops LED bulb in mine. Was just BARELY enough room for me to get my hands in there and do it with much cursing and nicks and cuts. But it's doable. Others have pulled off plastic to have room to work and get their hands in there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What all these fine fellows---^ have said :) I, too, swapped in a Cyclops LED "bulb" contraption affair, which sticks out a bit further than the regular OEM bulb, and had no real exasperations doing it.

I put a Cyclops LED bulb in mine. Was just BARELY enough room for me to get my hands in there and do it with much cursing and nicks and cuts. But it's doable. Others have pulled off plastic to have room to work and get their hands in there.

I pulled off all my plastic to install my H4 LED Bulb, see image below. Also look at my Installation Album.

I did replace one standard bulb before, because I wanted a different light temperature. It was very tight up there to say the least.

Attachments

• IMG_2903.jpg
    IMG_2903.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,791
  • IMG_2868.jpg
    IMG_2868.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 2,495
LBS and JDE did you guys have to cut the rubber boot apart to get the cyclops bulb to fit in there. I monkeyed around with it for a little bit today and saw i might have to cut the big rubber boot to get it to work.

LBS and JDE did you guys have to cut the rubber boot apart to get the cyclops bulb to fit in there. I monkeyed around with it for a little bit today and saw i might have to cut the big rubber boot to get it to work.

I did cut the rubber boot to allow some air flow for the cooling fan on the back. That being said I'm not entirely sure that I HAD to. I live where it gets into the triple digits during the summer so I wanted to try up my odds against the unit overheating. Which I don't think it has as it's still working. The connector for the wiring harness will fit through the hole in the back of the boot in stock form. I figured a replacement boot shouldn't be very expensive if I ever needed to put it back in stock form.

Did you do this without taking the headlight off the bike? I have big hands and space is very limited lol. Im trying to avoid taking it all apart

Yes, I cut the rubber boot. I will put up a couple pictures, but realize that I may not have done it in the best fashion, it's just how I did it.

Note: I cut the hole along an existing fold line in the rubber, but I will probably buy another boot and cut the next hole a little bit smaller diameter. With where I cut it, there ends up being too much of a gap all around the bulb when installed for my liking, where dust and crud might get inside the headlight.

DSCF1561.jpg

DSCF1576.jpg

I also cut a small flap in the base of the boot for the wires to exit.

DSCF1563.jpg

DSCF1565.jpg

Did you do this without taking the headlight off the bike? I have big hands and space is very limited lol. Im trying to avoid taking it all apart

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

As I previously stated I was able to do it with out taking the headlight off the bike. I started to pull the plastic off to get to it, but when I realized how much needs to come off to get to it. I said forget it and forced my hands it there and used little pick tools to get the retaining clip into place. I wear a size 9 or large gloves, so I think I have average sized male hands. It make take a few tries, but you might be able to do it. I think instead of pulling all the plastic off, if you need more room an easier thing to do depending on your tools and abilities might be to put the bike on a jack or stand and lift the front to take off the front wheel and pull one of the fork tubes out. That might give you more room if you need it and would probably be quicker and less tedious than pulling that much of the plastic off.

thanks guys i will take another wack at it and see what i can do. I have taken all but the front plastics off and it was such a pain in the ...

As I previously stated I was able to do it with out taking the headlight off the bike. I started to pull the plastic off to get to it, but when I realized how much needs to come off to get to it. I said forget it and forced my hands it there and used little pick tools to get the retaining clip into place. I wear a size 9 or large gloves, so I think I have average sized male hands. It make take a few tries, but you might be able to do it. I think instead of pulling all the plastic off, if you need more room an easier thing to do depending on your tools and abilities might be to put the bike on a jack or stand and lift the front to take off the front wheel and pull one of the fork tubes out. That might give you more room if you need it and would probably be quicker and less tedious than pulling that much of the plastic off.

Most of my work was done using the "braille" method, lol. I couldn't see what I was doing, just feeling with finger tips. The most difficult part was trying to get the OEM spring clip over the new bulb's circumference, and reset on it's little retainer tang without breaking it or losing my patience and giving up :eek:

It IS a tight squeeze. Bulb placement and spring hook up I did from the bottom. The boot took both top and bottom to sit properly. Actual plug connection - from the top. It helps to turn the bars to create more room for top access.
As long as one knows how that "Honda spring" operates - it's a PITA but totally doable. It helps to try and see the operation as you are unhooking it. Then you know the location of the retainer tab.
Good luck!

got it to work thankfully. Like everyoen said tight squeeze but shes in there. Im very happy how i cut the boot. It seems to fit like it was made for it. Any idea how hard it is to re position the headlight to aim it down a little bitt?

Any idea how hard it is to re position the headlight to aim it down a little bitt?

Glad you got it in there! Not too hard there is an adjustment screw on the throttle side that I you take a medium sized phillips screw driver up from the underneath the back side of the headlight housing you can adjust it from there. I forget whether clockwise is up or down for adjusting it though. I'm at work and don't have my manual handy.

LBS I couldnt help but notice in your pictures that the cyclops LED bulb lettering on the back (LED) is upside down. Mine is the same way because thats the way it fits into the front light housing. I kind of feel like the bulb is functioning upside down. The bright side of the bulb is facing below while the two low beams are on top. Any opinions on this?

What all these fine fellows---^ have said :) I, too, swapped in a Cyclops LED "bulb" contraption affair, which sticks out a bit further than the regular OEM bulb, and had no real exasperations doing it.

Link to that bulb? I'd like to get a spare bulb on hand before I need one. Might be a good idea to carry one with me all the time.
Is this bulb the same color/temp as the OEM?
My goal is to change the bulb and have the light that comes out be the same color as before...
brighter? sure, why not...
but NOT a different color.

Link to that bulb? I'd like to get a spare bulb on hand before I need one. Might be a good idea to carry one with me all the time.
Is this bulb the same color/temp as the OEM?
My goal is to change the bulb and have the light that comes out be the same color as before...
brighter? sure, why not...
but NOT a different color.

Strat, check out this thread.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/5289-led-headlight-coming-soon-maybe.html

It's where some of us first heard of the Cyclops LED. If you don't want a different color bulb then this one or just about ANY LED bulb isn't for you. They tend to put out a whiter/bluish light.

Back