• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Aprilia Tuono Rear Shock (Sachs)

what is you weight ?

I'm about 170 lb geared up.

Also remember, the condition of the shock and the gas / fluid / valving inside it is a HUGE part in the shocks effectiveness.

An ebay shock may, or May NOT be, be in proper condition.

Mine has an Ohlins spring as defined earlier in the thread, and my compression / rebound is about halfway through its adjustment. And it's great.

That said, I completely rebuilt the internals of the shock with custom valving and new components / gas / oil as well to make it work better.

True, it's possible I've got a shock that's not in great shape. It looks good, and doesn't leak, but you never know used. I didn't realize it was serviceable either, I might look into that.

trey

Yup. It is.

All in all I'm in my shock I'd guess about $300. It's about 75-85% of what I'd expect out of a $900 Wilber's.

If I had to do it again, though; Id buy a Wilber's 641 with remote preload, independent compression and independent rebound adjustments. But only because I'm comfortable and capable of dialing it in. If I wasn't or didn't need it, I'd go with what I did -- this Aprilia shock -- or an Ohlins for -$600.

I'm about 170 lb geared up.

True, it's possible I've got a shock that's not in great shape. It looks good, and doesn't leak, but you never know used. I didn't realize it was serviceable either, I might look into that.

trey

Did you find a rebuild 'kit', with all the seals, or did you just source everything yourself? Watching a few videos, seems easy enough to tear down, change oil, and put back together. But.. seems like I'd want to replace most of the seals while I'm in there.

trey

Did you find a rebuild 'kit', with all the seals, or did you just source everything yourself? Watching a few videos, seems easy enough to tear down, change oil, and put back together. But.. seems like I'd want to replace most of the seals while I'm in there.

trey

I had my suspension guy do it. You usually have to recharge the nitrogen -- I don't have the tools for that.

Magic Carpet Ride...

Well after commuting on choppy pavement all week ...my new rear Tuono Shock works great...with original spring..

I can say that swapping out the stock rear shock and installing the Aprilia shock that I bought from a member here..

Thanks 2B ...

At 160 lbs. and solo rider only...just a backpack for stuff..

I set the preload on the Sachs near max and the adjuster to around the middle..

I get around one half inch static sag and 2 inches rider sag....Bingo...

Thanks to all of you and your info on this fantastic cheap upgrade...

Magic Carpet Ride ...Baby.. Under 100 bucks..

Took about 30 minutes ..

So plush and smooth over sharp edge bumps...

Now the front fork is next to get some modding...

Thanks ....

Look what showed up today !!
f6bf718eafbb6272f6b80150fc011b9e.jpg

4330392c6273f47811877f18b78ce8f1.jpg

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

The stock NC is almost 15kg/mm,this spring is 19kg/mm.I wanted a 17-18kg/mm but they were discontinued.
Hopefully with my fat butt it will work good .I need to order the heavy front springs ASAP !!.

Got the shock swapped out today.
Wow,the linkage bolt was SOOO tight I had the use a 3' breaker bar to get it loose !!.
I have not ridden it yet but it feels a lot stiffer.
9903700337bf3252e77655cb6844c428.jpg

I was thinking about maybe adding more !!.hehe
I will have to see after a good ride,remember with gear I'm just shy of 300#....

Last edited:
Went for a ride on my favorite POS road.The new shock was amazing !!.
All the bumps that would bottom out the old shock I could hardly feel.The new front springs are getting ordered tonight.

Got around 150 miles on the shock now and really like it,soooo much better than my totally trashed stocker !!!.

I was considering this, but got bit by a mega-farkle bug.
Going RaceTech on both ends as I'm probably around 240 geared and may get the bracket for the top case area that holds two Rotopax.

I'm around 300# with gear and have TUSK panniers and a Kolpin 1.5 gallon fuel tank.I went with a 19kg/mm Racetech spring on the Aprilia shock.I also ordered the 1.0 kg/mm front springs from Racetech..

Last edited:
Back