• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Aprilia Tuono Rear Shock (Sachs)

so what exactly is the reason for going to the aprilia shock? Heavier spring, better dampening, rebuildable? etc?

Last edited:
OK. I've read all 19 pages. Picture my eyes glazed and my brain befuddled.
I'm after a better ride. No off-road plans.
I've got the front sorted with Cogent DDCs which will be in-hand soon.
Trying to decide between the Tuono and a CBR 600 F4I shock.
I like the adjustability of both. I like the plusher ride of both. I like the bump handling of both. The CBR used is less than half the cost of the Tuono at AF1 Racing. (My Google Fu hasn't found a better deal than AF1 $70 + shipping)
Which one do you all recommend for a fairly simple application -- i.e. adjustment plus better bump handling.
Multiple thanks.

I went with the Turono because I didn't want to loose any rear suspension height. If your inseam challenged do the cbr shock. Ive now run my Tuono shock for over 14,000 kms and im very please with the out come. Your lucky in that all the leg work has been done.

Just curious, what front suspension mods did you do? That my next project but I'm pretty happy with my forks and not sure if its worth it.

Well, I just ordered the Tuono from the racing shop in Texas. 79.00 shipped. Clean, ready to plug in. Hoping for a smooth ride. Not going to tweak it at all, just set it up for my weight etc.
Up front I went with Cogent's DDCs. I've run them on my Wee Strom, along with a single rate spring, and they're great.
I'm have them with the progressive springs on the NC and will hold off on doing more.
They simply work. Simple to install, much better handling of bumps, especially "sharp" ones.
I'm a fan boi.

I finally picked up a Tuono shock off EBay. I weigh about 145 without gear and I had read something about the Ohlins spring rate increments corresponding to approx 25lb in rider weight.

Based on this and the information in the thread I am thinking of ordering a 180mm x 105 spring (1095-36/105). What do y'all think?

Well I made the mistake of getting a high spring rate because the stock spring rate was so high.What I have found out over the last 15,000+ miles is that I believe the stock spring had such a high rate because the shock was so crappy.Now the Sachs shock is soooo much better that it didn't need such a high rate..
I may put the stock Sachs spring back on and try it ??.

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

I weight 265lbs
The stock NC spring is a 14kg/mm or something close to that so I got a 15kg/mm spring for the Sachs shock.

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

I am looking to do the same mod. I already have the shock, but I am looking for some advice on the spring. I weigh 190# without riding gear, so do I need a stronger shock or will the 01092-41/115 work for me? I do have a top box and use side cases on longer trips...

Thanks for any advice.

Thanks for the feedback. Looking online the 01092-49Y is a 57/170/130. Would a 130 still be too stiff?

Thanks again for any feedback, I have never done any modifications to any suspensions, and although I have read the extent of this thread, I don't want to spend money on the wrong stuff...

So guys, reading through all of this, i got a bunch of good info, thank you for paving the way! Now that we have some real world experience with this things, could I pick your brains a bit? I am 192lbs. I just ordered the gold valves for the bike, and I have an OEM 07 Tuono shock sitting downstairs ready to bolt on to my 2012 NC when the gold valves arrive. My initial thought was to do one thing at a time and install the gold valves with the OEM springs, and install the Tuono shock as is.

But now since we have all the snow here, I am thinking while its a part maybe i should take care of springs too? Looking at the Racetech site it's saying i should be running .88ish springs, so I guess I would bump up to the .90's, correct? Or should I drop down to the .85's?

For the rear is where I am really confused for the shock spring.....ohlins, race tech? What weight/rate to go with, there is not much info out there. I saw one fellow on here was able to get a RaceTech SRSP 5815 series spring on there, while others are using ohlins for the sizing. If the stock is close to 14kg, what should I go with? I see Krampus did the 11.xx kg spring? I just want to get it as close as i can the first time if possible. thanks!

So guys, reading through all of this, i got a bunch of good info, thank you for paving the way! Now that we have some real world experience with this things, could I pick your brains a bit? I am 192lbs. I just ordered the gold valves for the bike, and I have an OEM 07 Tuono shock sitting downstairs ready to bolt on to my 2012 NC when the gold valves arrive. My initial thought was to do one thing at a time and install the gold valves with the OEM springs, and install the Tuono shock as is.

But now since we have all the snow here, I am thinking while its a part maybe i should take care of springs too? Looking at the Racetech site it's saying i should be running .88ish springs, so I guess I would bump up to the .90's, correct? Or should I drop down to the .85's?

For the rear is where I am really confused for the shock spring.....ohlins, race tech? What weight/rate to go with, there is not much info out there. I saw one fellow on here was able to get a RaceTech SRSP 5815 series spring on there, while others are using ohlins for the sizing. If the stock is close to 14kg, what should I go with? I see Krampus did the 11.xx kg spring? I just want to get it as close as i can the first time if possible. thanks!

On my NC, I just dropped to the 0.80 springs because I weigh 170 lbs, which is less than the guy that had the bike before. So, I have a pair of 0.85kg Racetech springs, like new in the box, complete with the uncut spacer stock to sell. PM me if interested. I'll post these for sale tonight if I get the time.

Even the 0.80s seem a little stiff, so personally I'd recommend against the 0.90, but it depends how stiff you want them.

Last edited:
Back