• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Are Motorcycles Really More Practical and Economical?

Previously, when I lived in my home town, Jakarta, Indonesia, yes, using bike is practical and economical. Traffic is so bad so that if cars and public transport (not reliable) are used, people spent many hours commuting, while using bike can cut at least 50% of the travel time. Some who live in the suburbs and go to work in downtown area get to see their children in weekend only, because during weekday they go to work before the children wake up in the morning and they come home after the children are asleep in the evening. That's how bad the traffic in Jakarta is. So I used bike then for both practical & economical (Time is money. More time spent on commuting, more gas spent) and, of course, fun.

Last edited:
In America, mass transit is a joke.

This is a common mistake many Americans make. In America, the highway system IS our mass transit system. It is more flexible, more reliable, more extensive, less expensive, and dramatically more fault-tolerant (to include resistance to attack by bad guys) than the Old World systems such as trains and such.

That said, it is also well-remembered that each system is adapted to the situation. There isn't the physical space in the Old World between buildings and such that have been there for centuries to build the kind of highway system we have here. Similarly, our population density is such that, regardless of available space, ge train-type system is dramatically impractical here.

OP, since you're talking about economy, and you're in America, you're absolutely right.

Motorcycles can be more economical that cars.

To be that way they need to be:
Economical motorcycles (the NC is, but there are plenty of others that are not)
Used Frequently (better miles per gallons only really helps make it cheaper if you put the miles on it.)
Used in place of a car instead of in addition to a car.
Used in place of a truck or other low MPG option.
Used as a mode of transportation instead of a platform for accessories (you could throw as much money into accessories for your bike as you for your civic, but I'm guessing most people spend more on their bikes accessories than their cars accessories)
Maintained in an economical way (if this means having a service plan, or just doing your own oil changes, picking tires that get plenty of mileage for the dollar, etc.)

If the above were the case a motorcycle would be much more economical.
Since most of us have cars/trucks also, that means the bike would have to pay for itself in savings per mile, and get enough miles.
if we say an NC costs ~$8K, my car gets ~20 mpg city, the NC gets ~64 mpg on the same roads gas is between $3-$4 a gallon, then 60k-80k miles to pay back on gas costs alone...
Of course 60K miles on the bike has some maintenance behind it, you've probably gone through a couple pairs of tires ($300-$600 a pop?) where your car would just be rounding out it's OEM tires...
figure $3k more in tires... that's ~80k to 110k miles on the bike to make up the difference..

I didn't include oil changes above under the assumption that mile are what is driving the oil change on both the car and the bike (not time) so unless you pay significantly more for oil changes on one then the other it's a net break even.

and commuting on the highway to work would actually make my pay back worse (my car gets 30 mpg highway vs. 74mpg on the NC)

Now when you take these numbers and apply them to some of the bigger bikes that get 20-30 mpg... you never get a pay back on gas...

Or say that you are getting a bike instead of a car, that civic costs ~$18k getting the NC instead is a $10K savings, plus savings in gas, plus savings in insurance.

Others have mentioned saved time commuting on the motorcycle... that doesn't usually affect me (though I occasionally get to use a carpool lane when I'm out, they are the exception more than the norm.) and some people have suggested the tolls are lower for motorcycles in some places (no tolls around where I live, except a few places where you can opt to pay to use the carpool lane when you are alone in your car.)

So yes, it can be more economical, but you need to crunch the numbers for your situation... and make some assumptions about how many miles you can put on it over a year, and how many years you plan on riding that bike.

But most importantly, it's a heckuva lot more fun.

Years ago in the late 90's I bought a Geo Metro for commuting. I paid something around $9000 for it, but don't hold me to the price as I simply don't recall exact. That car got 45+ MPG pretty easy, which back then was great. Parking cost me $7-8 per day in open public lots. Monthly ferry tickets for car+driver was somewhere over $200 that time. The bad part was that especially summer months coming back home, closer to the weekend, you could get stuck on a ferry waiting lines and miss even 2 boats, which added 1-1 1/2hrs to the day. Average commute time with the ferry ride about 1 1/2hrs.

Skip ahead few years on different job and I opted using busses and later light rail when I returned to commuting to downtown Seattle. Parking car on the ferry lot was $40/month. Monthly walk-on pass and unlimited bus passes with subsidized rates about $60/month. Time spent total per day was a nightmare, 2 hrs one way, on occasion when the bus was delayed and I missed the ferry run and stuck waiting for 45mins for the next one.

Come the days of the NCX averaging 65 MPG. I can zip to the ferry in 10 mins from home. Monthly cost for MC ride-on is under $200 and I get priority loading. Parking at work is $24/year in underground heated and guarded lots. The only drawback is I get exposed to the elements and the zombies on the road, but the carpool lane is still a joy. Wish I had considered getting a bike sooner!

I don't have the ferry in my commute like Starwise but the fact is in Seattle the number of routes to get anywhere is very limited by the geography of the city. Its not like LA where there are freeways that go everywhere in every direction - you get I-5 between the sound and the lake and you get I-405 between the lake and mountains and there are few surface roads that move quickly enough to be practical for commuting any distance. On my NC, my 15 mile commute in heavy traffic is about 30 minutes, in a car of any size or efficiency it would be 60, especially since I have to deal with the employees of a particularly large corporation all coming and going at about the same time I come and go to my job at a different particularly large corporation and we are all pretty much bounded to using the same road. And it costs me less to ride my bike than use public transit as I don't get any subsidy on that cost - and I won't bother wasting your time with the inefficiency of time using public transit over my NC either.

It is hard to put a price on stress reduction and time, but my NC700x does both. I only use it to get around - no joy trips, and it allows me more latitude than my car. I no longer have to plan car trips to accomplish several tasks per trip to make it seem worthwhile and economical. It is hard to justify 45 miles RT at 50 cents a mile to go to Trader Joes and similar trips to the city. 120 miles RT to the Apple Store. Seriously, $60? People just don't know the true costs of running automobiles.

Also, the two lanes leaving my small liberal town are choked with slow moving cars maximizing fuel economy at the expense of follower's time. It is much easier and safer to pass them on my motorcycle than my car, leaving me less frustrated, and less time spent on the road. These are of course personal issues for me, and it is hard to say that my upfront costs were justified. Nevertheless, having spent the money, I do enjoy the flexibility of choosing between car, motorcycle, and bicycle.

For me it's more about fun than utility, but it's about the economy of that fun as well. I used to fly. I flew an old tail-dragger that was “fun,” but not so fun in terms of cost. In a contest of bang-for-the-buck fun, motorcycles win.

The utility of motorcycles is undeniable. The last time I returned to California, I couldn't imagine living there without having the option to get somewhere on a bike. I really envied the lane splitters while we spent an hour to crawl about 15 miles up Hwy 80. And I once worked at a fire station along 101 where people occasionally came in asking if they could clean up - even asking to use the shower or for a sheet to wrap themselves after crapping in their own driver's seat. I don't recall anybody on a bike getting so stranded in stopped highway traffic that they couldn't make their way to a turn off for an emergency bathroom break.

The parking issue alone would drive some people to a motorcycle. While that’s not an issue for me, I appreciate the NCX when I arrive at one of our rural Super Walmarts on a busy day and think of Bob Ucker's famous line as he ponders the stadium seats, "Ohhhh, I must be in the front row!" Convention around here says you park your bike next to a steel post in the lined out areas at the top of the parking rows nearest the doors. Ka-ching! Another motorcycle win and one less door ding from some fat lady who can't squeeze out of her Buick without hurling her door open its full range or until it contacts your door – whichever comes first.

While we can't quite justify our bikes with fuel savings alone at today’s fuel prices, where will prices be in the future? As gas prices were rising sharply, I recall Obama on the campaign trail in '07 commenting, "... gas prices could go to $12 a gallon," (in the context of energy policy while referencing an unstable Middle East scenario.) He didn't offer any soothing solutions other than to speak about alternative energy initiatives going forward. While I hope 12 bucks was political hyperbole, our bikes are looking pretty special if there was a sudden price crisis of any sort. Never mind that my two-year-old Tundra only has 3,700 miles on it because I only use the truck when I need a truck, the Civic hasn’t moved much since I got the NCX either. Beyond the bottom line of total operating costs, there are political and environmental advantages to using our bikes as often as possible. I’d rather spend that difference for motorcycle maintenance on service or repair in town than give it to foreign oil powers and commodity manipulators.

I’d also like a license plate bracket that says, “I get 64mpg – your Prius gets what?” I’d try to work my way in front of every one of those sanctimonious greensters. ;)

For this reason, I decided to keep my PCX 125cc scooter. 95mpg. 1qt of oil every 2,500 miles. Tire and filter change every 10k. (14 inch tires are cheap). That's it! Besides a drive belt every 15k.

Running the numbers against my car, I'm closing in on the break even point, and soon will be positive on savings with the scooter. Which is going toward the NC700X

One thing no one mentions is car depreciation. My car happens to stay the same in value as time goes on and the miles don't pile on. And if I sell the car the same day a Fast and Furious movie releases,I may make even more. (2001 Acura Integra GS-R)

Just yesterday someone asked me whether a Volvo is more expensive than a BMW.

I stopped and asked back, which one versus which one?
:p

Does that include mount and balance for tires?

Not for everyone, but if you get a beadbreaker for $49 at Harbor Freight, a set of tire spoons for $20, and a box of bbs for the balance (about $5 for a lifetime supply) you never need to pay for a mount and balance again.

It is not that hard and I am Old AND Decrepit. :)

In order to push my last Twisted Throttle order into free-shipping territory, I picked up one of these shirts:

phpk5ii5e.jpg

Living where I do, I know far too many people with Priuses and thought they'd get a chuckle out of it.
Although more and more I'm seeing a metric f#@k-ton of the Tesla Model S, and I have no snappy t-shirt ideas for that one. Maybe one that just says "Jealous".

Living where I do, I know far too many people with Priuses and thought they'd get a chuckle out of it.
Although more and more I'm seeing a metric f#@k-ton of the Tesla Model S, and I have no snappy t-shirt ideas for that one. Maybe one that just says "Jealous".

That's a tough one... can't even beat them on cost per mile...

You could try "I could buy 10 motorcycles for the price of your model S."

While I'm sure I could buy a car that gets better mileage than my old bike, if I were to try to drive the car like my bike the car wouldn't last very long and it certainly wouldn't get it's rated mileage.
A car doesn't stand a chance in the mileage department vs my NCX. I'd have to buy a hybrid or something. Ever price new batteries for a hybrid? If you keep one 6+ years you'll have to change them or trade the car. The older the batteries get the poorer your mileage gets. I can ride my NCX for 10 years and still get incredible mileage.
Tires are more expensive for the bike but I can buy a lot of tires for the difference in what I paid for my NCX vs decent car.
Brakes, oil, etc... are all easier for me to do myself on the bike. If you want to lube everything on the car it's way more time consuming and expensive with the car.
Yup, I have to replace the chain and sprockets once in a while... and I have to have the transmission serviced on a car once in a while.
I have to replace fork seals and perform other suspension maintenance on the bike... but I have to buy new shocks for the car.

I rode my old bike 100 miles per day between Highlands Ranch and Boulder CO at least 125 days of the year. The only times I didn't ride were when it snowed, was too cold or I just didn't want to ride in the rain. My fuel costs were cut by at least half and I actually looked forward to my commute on the bike.
My car got around 21mpg so I figure the bike saved me at least $15 per day not counting wear and tear saved on the car.
That's over $1875 in gas alone per year and it's probably closer to $2000 since I used a low mileage estimate for the bike. A warmer climate and I'd easily save $2500 or more per year with that bike.
Gas costs more now, the NCX gets better gas mileage, my F350 gets worse mileage... the bike could easily pay for itself in a couple years if I had the same commute.
And don't even get me started on what tires and shocks for the F350 cost.

while on vacation , i was happens to drive kia soul with manual tranny(<$15K brand new). with economy mode on-the car tells you when to shift up. following recommended rpms i achieved 45mpg on it. it's behaves EXACTLY like NC. the best mileage you get driving between 35 and 45 mph,keeping rpms around 2K. i was very impressed by overall performance of this thing. looks good,driving is fun with or w\o ac the car is quick and responsive. comes with 100K warranty.
i personally ride on NC because it's a bit challenging,specially long trips. i went yesterday to Ricketts Glenn park(about 300 miles total) and on my way out i got it all(with exception of the snow).cold,fog, crazy rain,while i was in mountains..it was insane,going thru such rain in the night. i was shaking for a good 30 minutes after i got home(and it was 65 F outside). but if you ask me-would you do it again? i would say-yes.
before NC i owned CRB(and planning to buy it again). CBR to me is absolute power. an ultimate machine. cheap(used) and superior to any current car on the road. it feels good,when you know,that you can(but not necessarily will) any car on the road in a blink of an eye. one have to ask himself,why do you own a motorcycle.
on other hand-if you don't own one(or sold it)-you feel kind of empty and want one. i know,cause i've been in and out of riding couple times. and i kind of think-it's a man's thing..sitting on it like on horse, back in some medieval times or something....you know.. makes you feel superior to the rest of 'peasant's' :)

pics from Ricketts Glen Park

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/108366481923279497061/albums/5932031067404047713

Last edited:
And don't even get me started on what tires and shocks for the F350 cost.

I feel you bro, my F250 is in the same boat. Last time I did the tires it was 250 each, and that was on sale. Granted, those weren't the cheapest on the rack, but certain other criteria had to be met. Unfortunately, I feel a new set of shocks coming on soon for her. Might as well upgrade while I'm in there.

I feel you bro, my F250 is in the same boat. Last time I did the tires it was 250 each, and that was on sale. Granted, those weren't the cheapest on the rack, but certain other criteria had to be met. Unfortunately, I feel a new set of shocks coming on soon for her. Might as well upgrade while I'm in there.
Michelin tires for my Honda truck are $1000 per set but last over 100,000 miles, so $0.01 per mile. ( I have 70,000 miles on 3rd set.) PR3s for my NC are $400. If I get 10,000 miles that is $0.04 per mile. My truck is 100,000 miles between tuneups. My rear brake pads were replaced at 250,000 miles and fronts are still original......

When I do a complete cost of ownership analysis my 19 mpg $32,000 truck comes out ahead but I will always get on the NC if I have an option. When I could ride to work daily it was the truck that needed a battery tender.

My jeep sat in the driveway all last year except for hunting season. I rode every day, rain or shine. We only had 2 inches of snow and the roads were clear by the next time I had to leave the house. Lowest temp i rode in was 9 degrees, my Concours 14 had pretty good wind protection with a Vstream, I guess I will see what is bearable with my NC.

This is a common mistake many Americans make. In America, the highway system IS our mass transit system. It is more flexible, more reliable, more extensive, less expensive, and dramatically more fault-tolerant (to include resistance to attack by bad guys) than the Old World systems such as trains and such.

That said, it is also well-remembered that each system is adapted to the situation. There isn't the physical space in the Old World between buildings and such that have been there for centuries to build the kind of highway system we have here. Similarly, our population density is such that, regardless of available space, ge train-type system is dramatically impractical here.

OP, since you're talking about economy, and you're in America, you're absolutely right.
FWIW, I didn't ride my VFR to work for a couple years because I lived one block from an express buss stop and could take a buss to right out front of where I worked in Downtown Denver. The only time I had to drive a vehicle was when I was going to work odd hours and that was just 2 or 3 miles to the park-n-ride. I didn't want to leave my bike at the park-n-ride either so the bike sat during the week.
It depends on where you live and work.

Back