• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Automated Vehicle Safety Devices & Motorcycles

mzflorida

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Automatic emergency braking is going to be mandated on all passenger vehicles by 2029. The problem is that motorcycles (and some trucks, believe it or not) are not well detected by most automated emergency braking systems. Pro-motorcycle lobbyists are advancing some agendas to improve the detection of motorcycles by systems operating in cars and hope to have it tied to the rule. From what I have read on this topic GMC's AEB system is very good at detecting all vehicles and pedestrians. I was looking at the manual for my new vehicle and it became clear in at least one area where the AEB systems fail to detect motorcycles. But, there is a disclaimer that narrow vehicles may not be detected at all. Though sales are down in 2024, 2023 was a near record year for motorcycle sales indicating this is a condition that needs to be solved for. I cannot imagine that it is that big of a reach to incorporate "all-hazard" detection to these systems; GMC has already done it. I get people should not rely on these systems while operating thier vehicles. But you have to look at this from a realistic, not idealistic, perspective. AEB, BLISS, Active LKA would not be an option at all if drivers actually drove by the textbook...they don't; and because of that these systems are inarguably beneficial. Hoping they are successful in advocating for motorcyclist safety.

1716752088448.png

Last edited:
I’m not concerned that we won’t be detected. I’m concerned that they will rely on the system and we won’t be detected
Yes. There may be more time to watch videos while driving, since the brakes will be supposedly automated.

A possible hazard is cars in front of you that might brake rapidly and unexpectedly due to false detections.

Automatic emergency braking is going to be mandated on all passenger vehicles by 2029. The problem is that motorcycles (and some trucks, believe it or not) are not well detected by most automated emergency braking systems. Pro-motorcycle lobbyists are advancing some agendas to improve the detection of motorcycles by systems operating in cars and hope to have it tied to the rule. From what I have read on this topic GMC's AEB system is very good at detecting all vehicles and pedestrians. I was looking at the manual for my new vehicle and it became clear in at least one area where the AEB systems fail to detect motorcycles. But, there is a disclaimer that narrow vehicles may not be detected at all. Though sales are down in 2024, 2023 was a near record year. I cannot imagine that it is that big of a reach to incorporate "all-hazard" detection to these systems; GMC has already done it. I get people should not rely on these systems while operating thier vehicles. But you have to look at this from a realistic, not idealistic, perspective. AEB, BLISS, Active LKA would not be an option at all if drivers actually drove by the textbook...they don't; and because of that these systems are inarguably beneficial. Hoping they are successful in advocating for motorcyclist safety.

View attachment 54219
I was just having a discussion on a car forum, and it has become clear that some people are totally unfazed by the 40,000 annual US highway deaths (and many more serious injuries). Some say openly that they have no regard for traffic laws. Some see no way the fatality numbers can be reduced without vehicle automation, hence the AEB, etc. At least now I see more clearly who the enemy is out there. It’s bad, and it’s sad.

I was just having a discussion on a car forum, and it has become clear that some people are totally unfazed by the 40,000 annual US highway deaths (and many more serious injuries). Some say openly that they have no regard for traffic laws. Some see no way the fatality numbers can be reduced without vehicle automation, hence the AEB, etc. At least now I see more clearly who the enemy is out there. It’s bad, and it’s sad.
To be fair many motorcyclists have no regard for traffic laws either.

I’m not concerned that we won’t be detected. I’m concerned that they will rely on the system and we won’t be detected
Yup. That is the concern I have...the reality is drivers are relying on these systems. A friend of ours, whose husband rides and who is a typically very by the book driver, had a kiss with a curb just recently. She has an autonomous car, believed she activated the system but did not, intentionally diverted her attention from driving to some other task, and the vehicle faded right and made contact with the curb at about 50 MPH. I am certain she is not alone in the error but equally confident she is one of the few who will actually change driving habits to rely on their observations and not the system.

To be fair many motorcyclists have no regard for traffic laws either.
Agreed. But the automated safety systems are much more capable of identifying a car than they are a motorcycle when the operator of either is driving poorly or dangerously.

I agree that many have misguided opinions on traffic safety and also that it is very sad and very bad. Traffic deaths are actually up globally if we are to believe the stats which suggests, to some degree, that this is a global cultural attitude shift on personal responsibilities one has while operating a vehicle. Infrastructure, engineering, road design, and population shifts contribute to some degree as well. That said, we do have to operate within the reality we operate within and, as unfortunate as it is, these systems need to be improved until attitudes shift back to personal accountability...which is unlikely based on what I am seeing.

I may be in the minority on this but I believe the only person who ever got me in trouble was me. Most often I did something I should not have (for whatever reason) or I did not do something I should have done. It's pretty rare that someone else creates a condition that I can't save myself from...but that also requires thinking, evaluation, planning, and executing; those behaviors are substantially lacking today globally, based on recent experiences I've had while travelling.

Last edited:
Looking at the image I posted above, you can see the system in my vehicle fails to even have the capability to detect motorcyclists in our typical lane positions. That can, and should be, solved for. I do use automated cruise control and have since 2017. I've always also operated in a way that allows me to fully execute any driving function that is required and I think I am in the minority on that approach.

Yes. There may be more time to watch videos while driving, since the brakes will be supposedly automated.

A possible hazard is cars in front of you that might brake rapidly and unexpectedly due to false detections.
Or FaceTIme, or pay their bills, or have sex, or eat a meal that requires utensils. I've seen all four with FaceTime leading the way and their attention fully on the stinking phone. Half the time I lay on the horn when I see someone facetiming.

... or have sex, or eat a meal that requires utensils. ...,
There has been an unofficial Mile High Club for years. Pretty soon it will be expanded to the I10, I20... I95 clubs. Hey, the National Parks have their Passport, mountaineers have peak bagging, it is only a matter of time until folks vie to have sex at 75mph on all of the major interstate highways.

And, once they roll out autonomous motorcycles, we can look forward to couples coupling at speed.

Back