• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Average Fuel Economy

My fuel economy improved when I went from stock to Madstad. Let us know what happens if you take yours off.

I will do that. When I added the MadStad I was going from a Honda Touring screen, plus I added hand guards, Side Cases, Rox Risers, and Mirror Extenders all in the same week or two so I don't have a good feel for how each effected fuel economy. I can see the MadStad improvement in smooth laminar flow reducing the wind resistance over the turbulent flow of the small screen. I may end up drilling a couple more holes in the MadStad to lower it further depending on how I like the Std Honda Screen, if it is anything like the Touring screen it won't be on my bike for more than a single ride. I may also try removing the acrylic MadStad screen and just run the aluminum plate.

I did 1030 miles last week on my 750X DCT.

Just a few T shirts and shorts etc in the frunk, no other luggage or racks.
Stock screen, High position.
Kobra handguards.

300 miles on a straight (A1) road at 70-75mph in D mode,

400 miles of mostly (90%) twisties in S mode for a few spells but mostly in D using downshifts, and not gunning it either, the scenery was too nice.

300 miles back home on the A1 at 80-85 mph in D.

I kept all my fuel receipts and worked out that the NC had returned 56 mpg (UK) over the entire trip.

Obviously 300 miles at 80mph+ dropped the average down quite a bit, but I'm quite happy with that.

My fuel economy improved when I went from stock to Madstad. Let us know what happens if you take yours off.

And there in lies a primary factor in the variations in fuel economy. In fact if you play with your Madstad position you will change your mpg. There are so many differences in how we have farkled our bikes that impact wind resistance that there is little apples and apples comparison across our group. OCR talks about his low mpg but look at the sails he has on the side of his top case with the 2 fuel tanks. Different luggage has different aerodynamic characteristics. The square Trekkers many of us like are going to yield lower mpg than the rounded shapes of some designs.

This thread will give a range of mpg but don't compare yours to someone else's without understanding how the bike is fitted.

Another factor I experience is regional differences in fuel blends. Same riding technique, same rider, same bike and variations by fuel pump. I can fill up, ride to north Georgia and fill up again to return home. Every time I get much higer mpg on return trip. Same road and same speed but different gas pump and it does not matter which pump around home or which pump up north but the change is 10% or more.

I took my Trax boxes off for the first time in a long time commuted all winter with them on and averaged around mid to upper 60s. Well one tank without the boxes same riding I got 78.7 mpg amazing!!! I'm 5'9 and weigh 155 lbs and I do believe the touring screen helps a lot. I always fill up my motorcycles with 91. My very first tank was 74 mpg worst mpg 62 mpg.

And there in lies a primary factor in the variations in fuel economy. In fact if you play with your Madstad position you will change your mpg. There are so many differences in how we have farkled our bikes that impact wind resistance that there is little apples and apples comparison across our group. OCR talks about his low mpg but look at the sails he has on the side of his top case with the 2 fuel tanks. Different luggage has different aerodynamic characteristics. The square Trekkers many of us like are going to yield lower mpg than the rounded shapes of some designs.

This thread will give a range of mpg but don't compare yours to someone else's without understanding how the bike is fitted.

Another factor I experience is regional differences in fuel blends. Same riding technique, same rider, same bike and variations by fuel pump. I can fill up, ride to north Georgia and fill up again to return home. Every time I get much higer mpg on return trip. Same road and same speed but different gas pump and it does not matter which pump around home or which pump up north but the change is 10% or more.

Fuzzy, going to North Georgia is going up hill and coming from North Georgia is going down hill. In other words, your home is lower elevation than the north Georgia mountains thus using more gas going to the mountains and less gas coming from :)

Fuzzy, going to North Georgia is going up hill and coming from North Georgia is going down hill. In other words, your home is lower elevation than the north Georgia mountains thus using more gas going to the mountains and less gas coming from :)

Makes sense, but when I fill up in north Georgia and go further north I get the improved mpg still going uphill? I'm confused. ;)

Well, I got 55.4 MPG on my last tank. I typically ride on the freeway cruising at about 80 MPH with a DCT Bike in "D-Mode" and then "S-Mode" on the city streets. I have already done through the first 600 miles and motor is still "Seating In" and the MPG improving.

Take a look at the my "Stats" as reported on Fuelly shown below.

Fuelly_4-22-14.JPG

This tank I'm up to 62 mpg,last tank 61 and before that a constant 53mpg.This bike is all about RPM's. !!.The mileage climbs if you can keep around 3,000 rpm's or less.The people that run 80mph I'm surprised you get as good as you do !!.My mileage drops almost 20% from. 60 mph to 70 mph. !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This tank I'm up to 62 mpg,last tank 61 and before that a constant 53mpg.This bike is all about RPM's. !!.The mileage climbs if you can keep around 3,000 rpm's or less.The people that run 80mph I'm surprised you get as good as you do !!.My mileage drops almost 20% from. 60 mph to 70 mph. !!.

Do recall offhand what your best tank so far has been?

I think my best was near 73 mpg.

What a difference from my 46!! Nearly 30 mpg :eek:

This bike is hands down, the largest swing from low to high that I've ever seen.

This bike is hands down, the largest swing from low to high that I've ever seen.

The Fuel Formulation in Canada has to be different from what we have here in the States, especially in California. Check this out, Types of Motor Fuel Consumed in California. So, MPG will vary from region to region based on the formulation of the fuels.

We have about 5.7% of Ethanol in our fuels here and different formulations for both Winter and Summer. We have been on the "Summer Formulation" for several months now...

The people that run 80mph I'm surprised you get as good as you do !!.My mileage drops almost 20% from. 60 mph to 70 mph. !!

Another thing to take into concideration is the "Air Flow" as it passes "Around & Over" the motorcycle. My bike has a 20" Cee Bailey's Windscreen, Barkbusters VPS Hand Guards, and a Rear Wheelhugger. I do not know for sure if that will have any bearing on the air flows at the speeds that I travel at. Also, maybe the DCT has something to do with it too. At Highway Speeds, the engine is revving at about 4,000 RPM at about 80 MPH, just like my ST1300 does...

IMG_2418.jpg

Do recall offhand what your best tank so far has been?

My best was about. 73 mpg. , fully loaded on the Dalton hwy. ( dirt road. ).I was keeping it around 2,800 rpm's .

My last tank got me 71 mpg. 201 miles on the trip odometer and put in 2.8 gallons. Mostly driving on 45-50mph roads and some highway at 65-70mph.

Looking back at my receipts I am constantly putting 2.7 to 2.8 gallons in my tank. This tells me I got another gallon sitting in the tank when the light starts flashing. Usually around 200 miles or so after fill up

Worst 73.0 (MPG-US), best 94.5. Always reporting full tanks, not partial fills. Longest run on one tank 296 miles. Numbers not corrected for any possible odometer error.

Last edited:
My last tank got me 71 mpg. 201 miles on the trip odometer and put in 2.8 gallons. Mostly driving on 45-50mph roads and some highway at 65-70mph.

Looking back at my receipts I am constantly putting 2.7 to 2.8 gallons in my tank. This tells me I got another gallon sitting in the tank when the light starts flashing. Usually around 200 miles or so after fill up

When my red bar comes on I have exactly 1 gallon left. .

Back