• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Balaclava With extra insulated neck area

booblinker

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a nice on that works well until the low 40s, but into the 30s my neck gets pretty cold(well in april it did, have a taller windscreen now) I would like to find a balaclava that has extra insulation from the chin down. Anything really good out there, cold weather riding is only a few weeks away in Mi, unless the hurricanes send warm air this way.

I've seen some gear from the likes of AeroStitch that protects the neck area. "Wind triangle," I think. Check that out, it may be just what you need. I've gotten pretty used to having a frozen neck here in CO, but probably don't have to worry about really cold temps until December. This is definitely the time when a better screen makes all the difference. Any heated gear that keeps your core warm will help with blood flow to extremities. Once your neck isn't freezing there will be something else that is. Knees, usually, for me. Maybe feet.

I use this MEC Oust Bandana - Unisex I feel the cold mostly on my chin and the wind hitting my neck goes down the front of my jacket which makes me extra cold. It really is just a fleece triangle with a velcro closure behind my neck. I have a modular helmet so I wrap the bandana over my mouth under my nose and put my helmet on. It blocks the wind from my chin and the air going down my jacket. Can't beat the price. Like GlennC said though when you hit the 30's other things get cold. For me it's the fingers. Watch out for is ice...ice is bad...

My Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3 jacket in conjunction with a high-zipped down vest with a wind channel does pretty good, though occasionally on the worst of days I slip on a long-neck fine-wave wind-resistant Balaclava I bought at Costco for $10, just to knock back the wind around the helmet sides and chin curtain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one made by KLIM, It was pricey, but it manages to be thin, comfortable and blocks the wind way better than any fleece balaclava I have ever used, resulting in more warmth. Bought it at a snowmobile show.

I have a nice on that works well until the low 40s, but into the 30s my neck gets pretty cold
I ride year-round in Maine. The key is to get a balaclava with wind bloc or similar, otherwise you are just going to end up with so much material wrapped around your neck trying to keep warm you won't be able to turn your head ;-)

I have a Klim with wind bloc and it works great (I also put on a 20" windscreen in the cold weather). Forgot where I bought it but it wasn't all that expensive. Keeps the neck warm and if I ever have to make a quick cash withdrawal from a liquor store or gas station I'm good to go ;-)

Try a brand called Turtle Fur. It is thin material on top so your helmet still fits, but heavier and longer below the eyes. Have rode snowmobiles in -20 degree temps and it works great.

Back