• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Barkbusters Blizzard Hand Guard Review

admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Universal multi-fit XXL sized hand guards for winter fit over 240 different motorcycle makes and models.

More...

Has anyone here used the Blizzards? I'm planning on getting the Barkbuster Storm handguards (which seem to have a couple of fans here) and I wonder if those, along with the existing heated grips will be enough to see me through a UK winter. Putting a pair of Blizzards over the top will be pricey but I do like warm hands when I ride

Edit: I noticed that the Storm guards with two point mounting require bar end weights to be removed. Will this make my handlebars vibrate (at all / a bit more / a lot more)?

Last edited:
Made these for under $4 probably and about an hour's worth of time including planning, and they do a great job and swap between any motorcycle with cups in less than a minute -- Large handscreens for cold weather

2016-10-28 10;49;29 by greenboy, on Flickr

2016-10-28 10;50;43 by greenboy, on Flickr

After having bought and installed several brands of full-wrap aluminum-with plastic-cups handguards on motorcycles and ATVs I think there are better values than the Barkbusters, with better methods of cup attachment. But the Barkbusters don't suck or anything, and you can with some effort get rid of Honda's non-standard way of attaching bar-end weights...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny that you ask this. I just installed these this year. I was holding off on posting as I wanted some photos and my camera broke on my last holiday. Picked up a camera Friday and your question today prompted me to get on with it.

I have had been flip flopping on some hand guards for a while. I mentioned the Barkbuster BBZ to a friend in passing and he got me them for Christmas 2015 awwww

I wanted some handguards mostly for the cold weather. My fingertips get cold and I was trying to avoid electrical dependence on stuff like heated gloves or heated grips. I’m a commuter, so was trying to avoid reliance on something more sophisticated that could break down. It doesn’t really get that cold here. It gets mostly wet. Wet and cold lead to ice which I have found for me is a baddddd combination.

I like the idea of a fabric guard as I thought if it got hit or banged in a drop they would not break. The kit was fairly simple with the reinforced fabric which included a variety of screws and bushing so the install would be compatible with a number of different bikes.

On my first attempt I used the existing bar end screw. There is a little bushing that inserts into the end of guard so it can be tightened against the bar end to keep it tight. I got a used bicycle tube from the local bike shop to make rubber washers. The bar end touches an aluminum shaft that helps keep guard’s shape. I didn’t want the paint on the bar end to be rubbed off by vibrating against the aluminum shaft, hence the rubber washers.

On testing this install I found that the guards would rotate and hit the levers when riding at speed. Basically the wind speed from driving would apply pressure and cause the guards to rotate with the bard ends. The instructions implied this might happen with Honda models with rotating bar weights. I’m stubborn so I had to confirm this on my own.

The next test was to do the install after removing the internal bar weights. The instructions suggested on the clutch side I may be able to roll the end of the grip far enough to expose the internal bar weight clip pins. By golly it worked. I didn’t think I could get the grip to roll but when exposed it was pretty easy to depress the clips and remove the clutch side weight. The throttle side is easier. Had to loosen the front brake lever and remove the kill switch. This exposed the throttle body screws which when loosed gave me the clearance to expose the throttle side clip pins. When the pins are exposed the internal weight removal is pretty easy.

I combined two of the split bushings with the supplied nut to spread the bushings on install. I could not use the Honda bar ends any more as the supplied nut was a larger diameter than the stock bar end screw and the screw that fit the nut was too large to fit through the bar end. If I had a second set of bar ends I might have drilled them out. Since I didn’t, I left them alone. I added in the larger of two spacers to replace the bar ends. I installed the larger diameter split bushing with a small portion outside of the bars so I could get pliers on it if I had trouble removing them in the summer. Tightened the new screw down and it worked perfectly.

I found the new guards to do a nice job of helping keep the rain off my winter gloves. The gloves are supposed be warm and waterproof but it isn’t really accurate. I found the guards protect the gloves from moisture so that the rain no longer comes through. I also found that the wind chill doesn’t make the fingers so cold. I have had them down to 4C (40F) with only the finger tips getting cold. If I had some better Winter riding gloves that might also be helpful. I think if I were to ride long distance at speed, these temperatures combined with a heated grips might be perfection. The install with the internal weights removed has corrected the issue of the guards rotating while driving.

I am pretty happy with how they are functioning. The only issues do be aware of is that I found with the internal weights and bar ends removed there is more vibration in the bars. I’m not sensitive to vibration but if you are you this may not be for you. Had them on for about a month now and the vibration is a non issue for me. I have a 700S model. What that means is that my windscreen rotates with bars. I have no interference with the guards and the windscreen when the bars are in lock position. Other bikes may have issue with this but since they are fabric hopefully they will flex and cause no issues.

I am happy with the result but just think the price is high for what you get. I have never seen anyone with these before. I think if they had a better price point more people would give them a try. The system has been well engineered to work on a variety of bikes.

P1030002.jpgP1030003.jpgP1030004.jpgP1030005.jpg

Last edited:
It amazes me that even "big prices attract big spenders" Giant Loop has been topped in price here -- that doesn't happen too often ; }

Bushwackers Hand Guards - Giant Loop

Bushwackers-Hand-Guards-600x525.jpg

I had th Bark Buster Blizzards on my ST1100,worked a charm. Took them before it left for the breakers. Both are worse for wear after the wreck but are still serviceable. Would rather have a new set but can't find them in stock anywhere. I think the price is okay.

Just more info... I have used 1/2 gallon jugs to make temporary hand guards. Judicious use of a pocket knife, duct tape, and zip ties can provide serviceable guards. Cosmetics are not the best but who cares when temps approach freezing.

I have also used the soft mitts available lots of places for snow mobiles and have a set right now.Cheap enough but bulky to carry when not installed. Again, cosmetics leave a lot to be desired.

Bend over for Barkbusters. Honestly, I hate it when a company begins to do Elitist Price Creep after they've established a reputation for decent products.

Here's a product that I think is designed better, for less than half the price, made in the US if that matters: obradvgear.com enduro-grip-mitt

IMG_5522_780_585_90.jpg

Back