• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Be the first to ruin your NC700's fuel economy

I'll open my mind up a bit. Until then I'm betting snake oil, and most likely fuel mileage will take a hit more than 6%.

You bet it's snake oil and you will burn more of it (dinosaurs that is not snake oil). There's no free lunch when it comes to horsepower, trust the guy looking to hit the magic 150 horsepower 750cc Gixxer. It's a case of diminishing returns, every horsepower or percent there of cost a multiple of the money of the last and hacks a multiple amount out of the fuel mileage. I'm sure there is a Pilot thats a member (hey TechiePilot, your Que) they have the same sort of problems with planes. The performance dragon is a rough one who will take all of your money and destroy your reliability. I'm glad I don't chase that dragon anymore.

"Snake oil powered motorcycles, Naw the Save the Snake groups would never go for it"

Last edited:
I have never so regretted a post in my life. I am sorry I was negative. From the start I was. Right from the title. If I tear my clothes, heap ashes on myself and flog my back with chains, can we get over it?

No, we can't. You are punished! Mount those MT60 by hand, document it in another chapter of your farkling book, and let us know how the NCX runs with them! :eek:

You are probably correct, but more accurately, every consumer product has to have a target audience. Economics suggests that the target be as broad as possible. The targets for a motorcycle include rider size and weight, intended use, sense of style, power, weight, price, economy, safety, etc. The chances of a motorcycle being built "for me" are pretty slim. I am not one to suffer through the shortcomings. I am sure that 6'-2" and 200 lbs. is not the middle of the spec. My arthtritis and long-distance use make ergos of utmost importance to me. I concentrated my decision on the attributes that I could not change. I could not make a Ural reliable or a NC700 fast. If I could have made a KTM 990 SM-T fuel-efficient I would be riding something else right now. This same line of logic is why I built my current LD bike from a BMW R1150R (bare bike) rather than starting with one of their "touring" models.

Was seriously considering the R1200R this time around as I've always admired it's appearance and handling. However, after jonesing for the Crosstourer then becoming disappointed it wasn't being released in this country, I was elated to discover the release of the NCX.

We get the Crosstour but sadly when I went to test ride it I could hardly get my leg over (no smirking please) the seat. This is a real shame as having owned a VFR1200 DCT and currently owning a VFR800X Crossrunner I thought this love child of the two might be ideal for me. Alas it is not to be :)

I'd like to talk about the controller for a minute, ha ha =P. I am all for fuel control as a means to build power, if power building is what you are after. Increased power can be attained reliably if you go about it right and spend the money. This has been proven over and over again with Honda cars, I don't see why it should be any different with a Honda bike loosely based on a Honda car motor, it is so new however I'm sure a few lab rats will die first. What I would like to point out with this controller is that it is a piggy back system, you splice it into your intake air temp sensor and your O2 sensor. Meaning this changes your air fuel ratio by substituting false values for these sensors to trick the computer into changing fuel mixture, and maybe, possibly having an affect on ignition timing tables as well. In my opinion this is the wrong way to tune. You want something you can actually tweak (like re flashing or a stand alone ecu), change the stock fuel and ignition maps, do a Dyno run and tweak some more. Without the ability to see what your changes are doing to your fuel trims and hp/tq. Numbers I think you are taking a big risk with your engine longevity and the life of your catalytic converter. I would also like to add that there is likely very little to gain from tuning without changing the engines ability to flow air in and out. Whoever said there is no replacement for displacement never heard of volumetric efficiency! Which I may add is going to be the biggest hurdle for people looking to make more power, the single intake and exhaust ports in the head are major flow restrictions, but that could make this bike a good candidate for New Concept in tuning, possibly even tuning to sacrifice high end hp to gain more low end torque. I think that is where you would have to look for power from this thing, it's built for torque being under square and having such a low rod ratio.

Back