• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Belt drive anyone?

backtochain

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Been looking at the Yamaha Bolt and other bikes with belt drive. My question is does a belt drive perform well on gravel? Or is it best to stay off that terrain?

Thanks , Craig.

Belt drive is NOT a good idea on gravel from what I've read on here. If rocks were to get in between the belt and the sprocket that would be a BAD thing. From, belt failure to potentially knocking the belt off the sprocket all together.

+2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^. And belts can make chains look cheap when it comes time to replace the belt and sprockets ask some BMW guys.

Thanks for the feedback. Just before I swing my leg over the seat of the NC , I look at the chain and think c'mon Honda that's all you got to do is put shaft on. I mean we got the beak...:).

Belts are quiet, fairly maintenance free but give no warning when getting weak or about to blow. Lost 2 on the Buell, 1 at about 20K, other 15K after a 3/16" rock punched thru. Chain or shaft for me.

I have two friends who ride bikes with belt drives. They avoid gravel like the plague. If they come upon a stretch of road that has been freshly oiled with pea gravel, they turn around and look for an alternate route. I'm not thrilled about the maintenance a chain requires, but until I can afford something with a shaft drive (which may never happen) I'll keep cleaning the chain and enjoying the ride I have.

I prefer shaft, but upfront cost about $1000 dollars more when new. Worth every penny!
I think thats a cheap price and worth every penny,,just remember lots of Jap bikes had shaft in the 80s,wonder why they quit using them on "run of the mill" bikes... I like the idea of belts,,but think and read they are not totally idiot proof and do need servicing...Ecomomicly the best by far is chain in a chaincase,should be good for upwards of 30,000... I never did change the cam chain on my old Saab and it ran for over 200,000.

Back