• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

best gearing

johnkrumm

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2013 nc700x, and finally have been riding it on the interstate a little. Usually I've stuck to slower roads. As you might guess, the gearing seems a little low for speeds of 70-80 mph, spinning the engine over 4000 rpm (fine for other bikes, but feels high with our low redline). I kept reaching for that non-existent final gear that would settle everything down when cruising. I'm wondering if there is any simple sprocket change that helps highway cruising, or do people just get used to it?

Thanks,

John Krumm

I have a 2013 nc700x, and finally have been riding it on the interstate a little. Usually I've stuck to slower roads. As you might guess, the gearing seems a little low for speeds of 70-80 mph, spinning the engine over 4000 rpm (fine for other bikes, but feels high with our low redline). I kept reaching for that non-existent final gear that would settle everything down when cruising. I'm wondering if there is any simple sprocket change that helps highway cruising, or do people just get used to it?

Thanks,

John Krumm

I'd say get used to it John. If you install higher gearing, the bike will not have the power to pull it properly. I think Honda did a pretty good job of matching the gearing to the available power. You are not going to hurt the engine by spinning it at that speed.

You are not going to hurt the engine by spinning it at that speed.

True. Still, any motorcycle I've ever seen can work within a certain range of final gearing choices to better suit what the rider typically uses the bike for. The main thing is to not make either 1st or 6th practically unusable, mild changes are usually best. The NC has enough moxie to allow higher final ratios.

johnkrumm, I'd ride a bit more before you start playing around with Gearing Commander or sprockets though. If you think 4K is high you haven't learned the NC yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fortunately there are 15, 16, and 17 tooth front sprockets available and that doesn't require a new chain and is cheap to play with.

Thanks guys,

I'll ride for the summer and see how it goes. I've been using it for light commuting over the years, but now my brother is buying an Africa Twin and we are planning some kind of late summer or fall tour, hence the questions about luggage and gearing. More likely to follow : ).

Yeah, once you start hauling panniers and more weight and pulling passes/grades, you might find that going back to stock suits it better. If there's lots of off-pavement you might even consider going to a 15t in front if you are hauling lots of stuff. But for highway/freeway with just a top box the 17t seems a pretty good ticket without getting too radical. 5th (and even 4th up to 85 mph or so) are always there for you when you need them...

Back