• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Brake bleeder

Termite

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are the brake bleeder valves on the NC700X (2012) the "speed bleeder" type...or are they the standard type? I've read the manual and it appears they are the speed bleeders.

Thanks for your help with minimum ridicule. :)

Termite

Do you mind posting what size speed bleeders you bought. I just bled my brakes last weekend for the first time ever on any bike and it was a pain. These should make it a lot less painful to do by yourself.

Do you mind posting what size speed bleeders you bought. I just bled my brakes last weekend for the first time ever on any bike and it was a pain. These should make it a lot less painful to do by yourself.

Next time run down to CycleGear (or similar) and buy the cheap MityVac or similar. It will be substantially easier -- though not necessarily as easy as speed bleeders.

I actually watched a few YouTube videos and wrongly concluded that I wouldn't need it. Next time, it's either going to be mityvac or speed bleeders. I actually tried to use Motion Pro's portable one way speed valves, but they didn't work very well. Air kept getting past the rubber hose and the bleeder nipple and I wrongly thought I had a lot of air in the line making me pump a lot more fluid than needed.

I actually watched a few YouTube videos and wrongly concluded that I wouldn't need it. Next time, it's either going to be mityvac or speed bleeders. I actually tried to use Motion Pro's portable one way speed valves, but they didn't work very well. Air kept getting past the rubber hose and the bleeder nipple and I wrongly thought I had a lot of air in the line making me pump a lot more fluid than needed.

The MityVac's will do the same, you just have to trust -- after like a damn bottle's worth of fluid -- that there is no air in the line.

When I'm "done," and I do this for my race bikes as well as street bikes, I leave the cap off of the reservoir, pull the brake lever in (not like super tight, but apply brake pressure), and wrap a zip tie around it. I leave it like that over night (assuming its not humid or super damp out). Over night the remaining tiny bubbles will rise in the fluid and escape into the reservoir -- which since its open, will release into the atmosphere.

Realize that brake fluid is Hygroscopic, in that it absorbs water, so you don't want to do this on a particularly humid day or when its wet out, nor do you want to do it for a long period of time. It does help increase brake lever pressure though, tremendously.

I'm a fan of the Mity-Vac because it doesn't require installation of bleeders on all my vehicles and all the vehicles of friends that need maintenance help. Works great on motorcycles and is only a slight hassle on trucks because the reservoir isn't very big.

I solved the problem of air bubbles still being in the Mityvac lines by smearing a little wheel bearing grease around the bleed nipple to block the air that leaking through the threads.

I've heard that wrapping the bleeder threads with Teflon tape is also a solution, but haven't tried that method. If you try this method, be very careful in wrapping the tape to make sure you don't block the opening or get stray pieces into the system.

Another method is to put some thread sealer onto the bleeder threads. The Speedbleeders come with some kind of sealer for the threads. I haven't tried this method either, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I'm also a Mityvac user and the first time I use it on a new vehicle I go ahead and use Teflon pipe thread tape on all the bleeders. I only have to do it one time.

On the 700 though it's so simple and easy to bleed with two hands I just use the pump-hold-crack open & close method my dad taught me 50 years ago. If the bleeder and lever are too far apart to reach without help I get out the Mityvac.

I'm also a Mityvac user and the first time I use it on a new vehicle I go ahead and use Teflon pipe thread tape on all the bleeders. I only have to do it one time.

On the 700 though it's so simple and easy to bleed with two hands I just use the pump-hold-crack open & close method my dad taught me 50 years ago. If the bleeder and lever are too far apart to reach without help I get out the Mityvac.

The Teflon tape is a great idea. Must admit I never even thought about that. Learn something new every day.

Do you mind posting what size speed bleeders you bought...
I bought mine from Motorcycle Superstore. You need 2 for the NC700X and they're both 8mm. Cost $15.

Took me about 5 minutes to install them (be sure to cover any painted surface...brake fluid is a great paint remover). If you've never bled brakes with speed bleeders you'll be amazed. It's a one-person job and only takes a few minutes.

Termite

bit of an old thread but Motorcycle-Superstore/JPCycle now lists these at the fitment for NC700x but they're 10mm...
Russell Metric Speed Bleeders
Manufacturer Part Number R40529
J&P Part: ZZ24454

Motorcycle superstore is a lot worse since they got bought by JP...

Termite, do you know what the tread pitch is on them? Are they 8x1.25 or 8x1?. Do you know the length? I was hoping to order some to put on with my new brake line so I don't have to bleed the system twice this season.

Back