• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Brand new NC700X motor sounds way to loud

booblinker

Reaction score
Visit site
Picked it up today from the dealer, didn't notice the noise initially, maybe due to excitement. Anyways, second time I ride today I thought it sounded like it had a rod knock or valve noise. Goes away at like 2k rpm. Here is a video.

YouTube

Valves are a bit loud, but that's probably the camera mic. I'm sure it sounds about the same as mine in person. If you're talking about the low grinding noise, that's from the transmission, which makes a bit of noise when in neutral and the clutch out. Also normal.

Valves are a bit loud, but that's probably the camera mic. I'm sure it sounds about the same as mine in person. If you're talking about the low grinding noise, that's from the transmission, which makes a bit of noise when in neutral and the clutch out. Also normal.
I agree with AsureDawn

I didn't hear anything abnormal. I wouldn't worry about it. You've got a warranty, so just keep an eye on it. If it starts getting worse, bring it in to have it checked. But I'd say it's normal.

Sounds fine to me. Go ride it and enjoy it!

Put some earplugs in, you won't hear a thing.

Put a few thousand miles on it, then take it to the dealer and have them adjust the valves, and change the oil. They'll know if anything is amiss.

Wait till the 8000 mile service interval if nobody else notices anything. Usually it's the new rider and not the NC.

Ok, so since that is solved... I'm curious... what do you link them with?

LOL, My mom always called me Boo, last name in Brinker, parents used blinker for email and such. So I Linked Boo and Blinker for my first E-mail and it has stuck ever since. More people call me Booby than by my real name.

Motor sounds much better when the throttle is wide open.

Until the rev limiter kicks in and scares the bejesus out of you!

Is this a new 2016 NC? The 'knock' you are hearing is probably close to the sound in the video and not normal to my ears and much louder than my NC.
I would try to track down another NC in your area and compare knocks. My DCT has no mechanical sounds whatsoever. Now my Motus......that's a whole different thing. It's got the sound at idle of a dry clutch Duc.
An X with the clutch pulled will give more mechanical noise than a DCT. Perhaps that is the knock.

Last edited:
Boob.....there are at least dozen other posts dealing with the engine and gear box noise. As mentioned the noise willl change with the clutch pulled in almost every case. A few members have gone so far as to tear the engine down looking for the noise. They were dispointed to find the NC has a fair amount of NORMAL mechanical noise. Some of the prior posts describe it as character.
It is really is almost impossible to judge a mechanical noise level on video as there are so many variables in the recording levels.

As far noises that actually amounted to a real problem the has been a few cam chain tensioners that lost the tension. I say a few maybe 3-5 case tops and they were not brand new low mileage bikes.

If your in doubt run the bike by the dealer and have them take a listen. A this point I would not leave the bike or ask them to do any repairs.

Last edited:
Chasing noises can cause people to tumble down the rabbit hole really fast. That's why in most cases, my advice is to wait and see if it gets worse/changes. I've seen it a million times with people working on cars/trucks. I spent a decade as a technical helpline consultant for automotive OEMs, helping dealership technicians diagnose and repair vehicles (prior to that I was a tech myself). So many times techs would call in with vehicles/engines apart asking us what to do because they found nothing after completely disassembling the vehicle/engine chasing noises. Many times I'd have to recommend just putting it back together.

This is not a scenario you want to be in.

Back