• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bridgestone 023 vs Michelin PR4 question

Azimuth

Reaction score
Visit site
Changing my Bridgestone battleaxe (rear) at about 7500 miles. Cost difference to go to PR4 is about $100. My riding style has been mostly 75mph highway commuting miles with little wear on the outer edges of the tire. The only difference looking forward at this time is moving from western Montana to western Washington so likely to see a bit more rain. Anybody with feedback as to whether or not the PR4 is worth the cost difference for me?

This is one of those questions that everyone will answer differently. To some, a hundred dollars could be the difference between buying there kids some new shoes or not. I am lucky enough not to be in that type situation so with that in mind here is my answer.

My bike came with the BT-023s. The PR4 came out right when I needed my first set of tires. To me, they are well worth the extra $100. I ride year round in all conditions and we get plenty of rain even though I live in Arkansas. Honestly, the ground here does not absorb water so water on road conditions can be terrible. I am an aggressive rider and I don't slow down much in the rain. Knock on wood, I have yet to loose traction on a wet surface with the PR4.

It is a great tire and wears well in my case. The BT-023 made it about 9K miles and both rear PR4s will make it to around 14K. Be sure to shop around though. I got my last set for $300 delivered. Not sure the price you've found. I think another forum member found them for $296 shipped.

I have the PR4s on a heavier NT700V and commute in the Seattle area. So far, I have 17,000 miles on them and they look good for another 3000. Traction in the rain has been good.

Chris

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jake Wilson has the BT023 for around $200 with a $50 rebate visa card and the PR4'S for about $316.00.
I think the PR4'S are a better wet weather and longevity tire, but not $150 better.
Ymmv

That is a big difference ... i wouldn't do it, since my last MPR4 didn't hold as long as i expected to.
Rear was <1mm in the middle after 7000km (=11.200miles) (front has still +2mm).

So i really don't get how people get 17k miles (=27.000miles) on any tires tbh. It ofc may be that you only drive on american highways at max 80mph, with the only acceleration happening when going onto the highway and the only braking when leaving.
While for me twisties are are the standard ...

I see a lot of positive reviews and comments on the Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires, but how do they do off-road? I'm not talking about hard-core dirt bike trails, but for gravel and dirt roads that might not be very well maintained? I'm looking at getting either the Michelins or the Continental Conti Trail Attack 2 tires when my originals need to be replaced.

They're road-tires in my opinion, through and through. I drove with them once on a gravel road and it didn't feel very stable. And once the rear had only little profile left (<2mm) it was slippery on every surface except asphalt.
I'd get something that has at least a little bit advertised offroad-capability. In fact, i did: A Scorpion Trail II, but so far i didn't test it on anythign except asphalt.

I see a lot of positive reviews and comments on the Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires, but how do they do off-road? I'm not talking about hard-core dirt bike trails, but for gravel and dirt roads that might not be very well maintained.

I have a mile of dirt road to my driveway and a 1/2 mile gravel driveway. I have PR4's on the NC and my GS and have never had any issues. I run them at up to 50 mph. Funny though "not well maintained" to me means rutted and washed out. These the PR4's handle fine. However, on "well maintained" roads with a heavy topping of loose aggregate, they are squirrelly.

The two times I have found when you actually need aggressive treads are deep loose aggregate where you need an aggressive front for steering control and mush or deep sand where you need an aggressive rear for traction and an aggressive front for steering control.

I have a mile of dirt road to my driveway and a 1/2 mile gravel driveway. I have PR4's on the NC and my GS and have never had any issues. I run them at up to 50 mph. Funny though "not well maintained" to me means rutted and washed out. These the PR4's handle fine. However, on "well maintained" roads with a heavy topping of loose aggregate, they are squirrelly.

The two times I have found when you actually need aggressive treads are deep loose aggregate where you need an aggressive front for steering control and mush or deep sand where you need an aggressive rear for traction and an aggressive front for steering control.

Couldn't agree more. I ride about 15 miles of fairly well maintained dirt/gravel to visit my folks, I have no issues running 40-50 mph on PR4 (or any street tire really). As long as there isn't too much loose stuff trying to steer the bike one way or another, it's no problem.

IMAG0624.jpg

If you need an aggressive tire, chances are you need a full on dirt tire, like TKC. I can't tell much difference on these types of roads with a street tire like the PR4 and an 80/20 tire like the Shinko 705.

trey

I have about 7500 miles on the PR3's on my bike. Roads like the one pictured above are what most of the town maintained highways look like in Vermont. The statewide speed limit for dirt roads is 35 MPH. I haven't had much of a problem though the bike does wiggle a little bit in the loose stuff. How a town's roads are maintained is up to the individual highway commissioner and the funds available. Some commissioners think fist sized rocks are the same as gravel. It rains a lot in Vermont, not as much as it does in the Northwest, but still heavy enough at times that I have to pull off the road and wait for the rain to lessen so I can see where I'm going. The PR3's are the best rain tires I've ever had on any bike. I slow down in the rain but haven't noticed any less grip in the wet.

Absolutely! I can get them installed for just over $300 but they are the best all around tyre on the market today, we do not have sport bikes, although I have them on my FZ1 and FZ 09 these are the most stable in corners and especially wet that I have ever encountered. My 14 NCX came with Trail Max dual sports which are lasting and quite good but when the time comes it may be PR ¾ depending on availability.

023 = $200 installed

PR4 = $390 installed

worth double the price ??

You still have to consider the mileage difference. In my case with these extract two tires I saw a 5,000 mile difference. This was riding the same roads, same load on bike, and same style of riding. My BT-023s lasted 9K and the two sets of PR4s make it to 14K. I'm sure not everyone will see those same results but I prefer not to change tires every 9,000 miles so the 100+ dollars is worth it to me.

In my opinion it is a better tire and I'm able to afford the price difference. The OP needs to decided for himself if the extra money is worth a few thousand more miles and a slightly better tire.

I see a lot of positive reviews and comments on the Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires, but how do they do off-road? I'm not talking about hard-core dirt bike trails, but for gravel and dirt roads that might not be very well maintained? I'm looking at getting either the Michelins or the Continental Conti Trail Attack 2 tires when my originals need to be replaced.

I take my bike on back roads occasionally. They are generally gravel like shown in the picture by a previous poster. I have no issues traveling at speeds of 50mph unless I hit a deep pocket of gravel and the bike will gets a little squirrely for a second. I probably shouldn't be riding at 50mph anyway but I like to "push the envelope".

I have gently laid the bike down three times while having PR4s mounted. All three times were on a wet grassy and muddy trail. They don't work in those situations at all. The front tire wants to slide out from under the bike and your on the ground before you know it. Unless your crawling along.

Gravel is Ok. Mud and wet grass is a bad idea. JMHO

FWIW, I have 17,000 on my PR4s and expect to get another 3000 on them before replacing them.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back