• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Brought home a new "cage" last night!

buckshot

Reaction score
Visit site
I know this is a bike forum and all, but I'm just too stoked about my most recent purchase. I finally sold my old Ford truck and picked this little gem up last night. 2006 Mazda RX-8 GT with a 6 speed. When wound out that little rotary sounds incredible, like a cross between a sport bike I4 and a formula 1 car. There isn't a whole lot of go below 5k, but get the engine north of that and she takes right off. It's intoxicating, and the exact opposite of the NC. The little rear suicide doors remind me of the frunk on our bikes, not something you'd expect to be there, but awfully handy to have.
All I've got to do to it is slap a heating pad on the oil pan and she's all set for winter.

WP_20131209_001.jpg

WP_20131209_002.jpg

WP_20131209_003.jpg

WP_20131209_004.jpg

Not my choice of car* for winter driving... but to each their own...

*I looked at mazda's when I got my current car, and at the time they were all too small for me to fit into.

Not my choice of car* for winter driving... but to each their own...

*I looked at mazda's when I got my current car, and at the time they were all too small for me to fit into.
I'm just a shade under 6' and I've got no issues with fitting in this car, though I do brush the headliner slightly when I sit up to check my mirrors when parking. Not a big deal for me.
Believe it or not you're not the first to comment on it not being a winter car, but I'm not scared. It came with snow tires on it, and the price was too good to pass on.

I'm just a shade under 6' and I've got no issues with fitting in this car, though I do brush the headliner slightly when I sit up to check my mirrors when parking. Not a big deal for me.
Believe it or not you're not the first to comment on it not being a winter car, but I'm not scared. It came with snow tires on it, and the price was too good to pass on.

At 6'4" I didn't fit in the mazda 3 or the 6 (better fit with the sun roof open, but couldn't imagine doing that in the winter) I don't think the one dealer I went to had an rx 8 on the floor.

I definitely wouldn't let the FMR layout scare you away, just make sure you know how to slide though a corner successfully with it before you need to do it on the road.
If you were in an old Ford before this you probably are already used to the RWD slide.

One of my co-workers got a used rental car in the fall only to find out in the winter that the cvt transmission would slip when the snow was footer than an inch or two... engine revs, transmission smells, car goes no where, that was definitely not a winter car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I can see your issue at six four, and don't blame you.
I'm quite familiar with the handling characteristics of RWD in low traction conditions, and I wouldn't want my vehicles to handle any other way. FWD, while an effective and proven layout, has never done it for me.

I still remember the first time I saw your car. The unexpected rear door opened, and a child got out. I had to go outside and have the owner show me the car.

My father owns a 2004, it's a sunshine queen. Never seen rain, snow, or a car wash! 17,000 miles on it. From what he's seen in the RX8 clubs, all the engines failing if you drive it like grandpa. Just rev the crap out if it. Every. Single. Time. And watch your oil level.

Those suicide doors are fun to show off. And what's the point of those sun shade visors having holes in it like a coarse mesh?

My father owns a 2004, it's a sunshine queen. Never seen rain, snow, or a car wash! 17,000 miles on it. From what he's seen in the RX8 clubs, all the engines failing if you drive it like grandpa. Just rev the crap out if it. Every. Single. Time. And watch your oil level.

Those suicide doors are fun to show off. And what's the point of those sun shade visors having holes in it like a coarse mesh?

You'd be surprised how much sun that course mesh blocks out the sun yet you can still (slightly) see through it. I'm sure you noticed that on your father's. The bikini top for my jeep is of a very similar material. Works great blocking the sun and I can still look up and see the sky. I like it much better than solid fabric.

To the OP. I owned a Mazda 6. Good car. I know its not the same as the RX-8. It was the first vehicle I had owned that had FWD. Took some getting used to. I can understand your not caring that it isn't FWD. It could be ignorance on my part but I'm so used to driving on snow with a RWD I'm more comfortable that way.

Yup, I am familiar with the unique needs of the rotary mill. Mine was a (heated) garage queen and weekend car most of its life, and it's only got 40,000 miles on it. I felt bad driving it in the snow for all of 5 seconds, then the power kicked in.

Like Chuck said, you can see a surprising amount through the mesh in the visors. Very similar to those roll-up perforated sun shades for the kids in the back that suction cup to the inside of the windows.

You'd be surprised how much sun that course mesh blocks out the sun yet you can still (slightly) see through it. I'm sure you noticed that on your father's. The bikini top for my jeep is of a very similar material. Works great blocking the sun and I can still look up and see the sky. I like it much better than solid fabric.

To the OP. I owned a Mazda 6. Good car. I know its not the same as the RX-8. It was the first vehicle I had owned that had FWD. Took some getting used to. I can understand your not caring that it isn't FWD. It could be ignorance on my part but I'm so used to driving on snow with a RWD I'm more comfortable that way.

I've just never liked the mechanical layout of FWD and how the manufactures cram so much stuff under increasingly smaller hoods. I like being able to service a vehicle myself, but having to dismantle half the front end just to change a belt isn't something I want to get into. I'm also a huge fan of power over-steer. Torque-steer......not so much.

Back