• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Camping while touring?

The replies are right on. If I am riding a trip alone I take camping gear but more often than not stay in motel. You pretty much have to plan your stops. It's not like the old days when I just pulled off down some side road. Then course after this happen to me ,any little noise wakes me up.
Startled black bear takes swipe at camper

Sure makes hotels look a little better ..... the key is "He did continue"......

One of these might help if you plan on camping Firebox 5″ Folding Campfire Stove | Firebox

i've used this one

http://www.amazon.com/DragonPad-Bac...&qid=1412690733&sr=1-1&keywords=camping+stove

cost me like $5 shipped. folded- it's a 1.5x1.5"( or maybe less) box. will fit anywhere. works with a small butan cans that sold at walmart for another $5 and will last for days.
not a fastest stove,but very handy,if you are traveling\camping alone.

now this baby-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_p=1912906162&pf_rd_i=orzak camping stove

is a bit bigger,but at 10K btu-it takes less than 5 min to warm up anything for two or more people. operates on propane that also sold in walmart.

national forest is free, state forest is also free. PA require a permit. just stop by at ranger station and grab one. they are very friendly (at least in places where i 've been)

Sure makes hotels look a little better ..... the key is "He did continue"......

imo-the animal won't attack you w\o a reason. i always follow a simple rule-absolutely no traces of any food . or better yet-eat at one place and sleep at another.

Last edited:
When traveling in Canada, nothing will get your attention quicker than the BIG critters eating their road kill on the side of the roadway, especially if you are waiting for a red light on a motorcycle!

Last edited:
was this fine animal chasing your motorcycle at the time... how did you get the photo?

That is British Columbia. L.B.S. probably had the hind quarter of a moose on his bike. That thing just wanted a snack. :)

I live in Florida. I need to get a picture of me being chased by an alligator. ;)

was this fine animal chasing your motorcycle at the time... how did you get the photo?

Fortunately not me, but it was chasing a motorcyclist: Motorbike chased by angry wolf on British Columbia highway

I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't think I'd have the willingness or presence of mind to get a behind the back, over the shoulder photo shoot of Fluffy there, scrabbling after me down on the highway lol :eek: :D

My trip this summer took me right near that same spot, though. (Banff/Kootenay National Park area) I thought about it when riding along, but didn't see anything with fur and fangs in the mirrors uhoh2.gif

Kooteney National Park.jpg

A few years ago, I got all setup for camping on the bike. Compact and lightweight.. backpacking gear and compression sacks are your friend. My 20 degree sleeping pack will pack down to about football size. Tent not much more than that and that's only because it's a 3 man tent because I wanted enough room for 2 people to be comfortable.

Maybe biggest lesson I learned was that it's really easy to pack too much food. It's rare that you're riding for days away from a grocery store or diner. A few snacks and stuff for for a meal or two. More important to make sure you have clean water.

I prefer established campgrounds with bathrooms. Bears might crap in the woods, but I'm not bear.

My favorite campouts have been with groups. Yeah we probably become the obnoxiously loud bunch that some of you complain about, but it's still a good time.

Last edited:
I just got back from a camping trip in Oklahoma. Did not take my Coleman Duel Fuel stove. I wanted to see if my Kelly Kettle would work out size-wise. I think it's too large for a motorcycle.

Attachments

• DSCN0789.jpg
    DSCN0789.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 205
I did camping for 10 of the 14 days of my trip this year. I bought all the stuff I needed and I really enjoyed it...Last time I've made camping was around 25 years ago... I'll repeat the experience more often for sure.
IMG_0992.jpg
Goblin State Park, Utah

20140510_062507.jpg20140513_152607.jpg Camping on the bike is great, met some nice people along the way and saw some great views. If you check with Tent Space blog you really can save more money. I spent most money on quality tent, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad. Everything else was on the cheap.

Everyone - Do share what tent and sleeping bag/pad gear you bought, looks Proper fun on the bike :)
Was it cold? Id love to try that, but I hate being cold :-(
Ive got a camping pod, it weighs 300 kilos empty but needs to be towed by something bigger than my bike. So i always end up using the car and missing my bike.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Pod. I had a 13' 1977 Trillium (sold it last year). I've never seen a Pod - gonna look it up.

Back to the question. A self inflating mat is. Best for staying warm if you're going to be camping off your bike. Air mattresses are too cold.
You will want the best equipment you can afford. I have an Army intermediate sleeping bag rated to 0 F. Any colder than that, and I want to be in my house.
Good clothes, tent, sleeping bag and mat are essential. The ability to make a fire in dire circumstances is almost a must . Do research on these things and you will be ahead of the game.

One other thing I would add in here. Actually a few. These are for comfort overall. I havent done the motocamping yet, but hiking and regular camping still gives you it's tips. The only real difference is in the downsizing of gear.
1. Spare socks - keep the feet dry and warm. Nothing will end your fun faster than if your feet are uncomfortable.
2. Spare footware - See above. whatever you have that will allow you to move around camp without being in wet boots.
3. Latex/Rubber Gloves - wear these under your normal gloves - will keep your hands dry even if your gloves are not water proof. Wont do anything about cold, just wet.

The therm-a-rest XTherm delivers the highest warmth-to-weight ratio of any sleeping pad on the market. This pad will keep you warm, but every vendor sells this pad at full retail of $199.95. Great product for sleeping in cold weather!

3. Latex/Rubber Gloves - wear these under your normal gloves - will keep your hands dry even if your gloves are not water proof. Wont do anything about cold, just wet.

This may be weird, but if I wear Latex/Rubber gloves for any length of time, my hands get very damp because they sweat. Dunno if this is rare in the population, but it sure affects me.

Back