• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Carrying Gasoline

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I fond a two gallon gas container (Walmart), and it fits neatly inside the NC700X Frunk.

Question is: Is it safe to carry it this way?

Would I be better off strapping it to the top box or a saddle bag?

20181003_154133a.jpg

I will not sue you no matter what you answer... I'm not that kinda guy.
Thanks in advance.

That’s a nice fit..
My thought though is, if you were actually traveling far enough where you’d need the extra gas, then you’d probably be using the frunk for actual luggage and tools etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Strat, I'd have to ask questions to get more info to form an opinion either way. If you were just trucking down to the local station and back to power the lawn mower etc, absolutely man, Great job thinking out of the box hahaha! If you had a more long distance purpose in mind, then i'd have to side with LBJ and say, Hmm probably not so safe.
:{)

Any reasons why that’s not so safe? Is it because of the battery being right there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine gets a little warm in there, but probably less so than a can sitting in direct sunlight.
I can imagine if everything goes wrong, a face full of flaming gasoline would ruin your whole week.

I wouldn't carry gas there. Fumes can build up. Strapped to the seat behind you they go with the wind. The wind will also remove any heat buildup over ambient temperature.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If you should drop the bike or be involved in even a minor mishap, having a large container of gasoline trapped in an enclosed space sitting right next to the battery and above a hot motor might not make for a good outcome. It isn’t quite the same as a true gas tank in a similar spot..

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be worried.. as long the gas is sealed it should be fine.
Every other bike in the world carries gas there... no way there is enough heat to cause an explosion..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For the short trip, it’s probably OK.

The negative aspect is that the frunk lies right above the engine. The frunk can get warm. Gas containers of that type, unlike a Rotopax or MSR bottle, don’t easily handle the pressure increase that results from the gas expanding with heat.

I handle lots of gasoline in 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon cans since I have so many engines and I buy gas in bulk when it’s cheap. In hot weather it’s not uncommon for your typical gas can to expand and become fully bloated. Then you have to burp it. So for that reason I would not keep such can long term inside the frunk. Short term is fine, but I wouldn’t take it on a long trip, or leave it there while you’re parked.

Last edited:
The frunk wasn't designed for venting fumes, it could be fine or it could blow up, I agree with the down the road no problem riding for a long time I personally wouldn't, have you noticed that extended rides especially "spirited" rides the frunk gets pretty warm inside

I was typing and got side tracked, so many have said the same thing.

Red has the right idea plan for worse case scenario, get a ROK strap and it would be easy to strap to the rear seat and go anywhere and it would be safer

Last edited:
L . O. L. - sorry I don’t know why but I find that pic funny :) meh I’ll just throw this gas can in my frunk ! Hahaha

For a long time, I carried extra fuel in an MSR container that was kept in one of those plastic document tubes made for tractors because the smallish fuel tank on the NC worried me. I stopped carrying it after a year because I've found the NC - unless I'm on the interstate at 75 mph for hours - has pretty good range since I typically get 65-70 mpg on the secondary roads.

ps. when I make a run in my car to buy gas for my mowers, I make it the most direct route and the container is in the trunk secured to a simple wooden frame so it won't tip over.

Last edited:
Is it safe to carry it this way?
"Safe" is in the eye of the beer holder. It isn't always a yes or no answer, but more of "how far to you want to push it". For example, riding a motorcycle is arguably the most dangerous method of transportation in the world and many people consider it "unsafe".

Personally I wouldn't for a couple of reasons. To wit:

1. 2 gallons of fuel, the container itself and any other misc items would exceed the manufacturer's weight capacity for the frunk

2. There is no proper venting. Gas fumes can explode and that could ruin your whole day. I wouldn't worry too much about the temps inside the frunk, they will never get hot enough for fumes to explode (450+ deg F) but a spark is all you need. That includes a static electric shock, which might run 10,000 volts or more before you can even feel or notice it. Dry, low humidity condition are ideal for ESD or electrostatic discharge.

3. If you strap it the rear of the bike you need to make sure that when the bike goes down, it is impossible for the fuel container (and straps) to contact the road. My GL1800 did a couple of end-overs with a properly designed and engineered stainless steel aux tank on the rear seat. It was the ONLY piece that didn't have a scratch on it because it was properly secured (stainless steel bolts/nuts) and designed to be impossible (nearly) to touch the ground no matter what the motorcycle was doing while tumbling down a road.

4. I don't <think> the lack of any baffles will be an issue, but on my 3 gallon tank I had baffles installed to keep the weight from shifting back when the fuel was sloshing around.

If on the other hand you just need to run to the corner and grab a gallon for the lawn mower just go for it.

HTH

I wouldn't if I lived in a hot climate area that I think you do. I used to mow cemeteries and I've seen small plastic gas cans like that that were left out in the sun expand to the point where they will roll down a hill if not left on a level surface. I would be worried that keeping the gas can in the frunk might damage the plastic panels in there or even pop the cover off.

Ok, ask yourself this. Why is it that every inboard boat made also comes with a blower system to vent the bilge prior to starting the engine's? If you can't figure it out, contact the US Coast Guard or US Power Squadron.

That face full of flames is a better outcome than an *** full of explosive's.

A gas can is probably still a better idea than this gent’s collapsible water jug.

7952DBB1-CA55-4545-A09D-01C0BB384B5E.jpg

It amazes me that THE best place to keep gas seems to be in Rotopax containers bolted to the rear close to the saddlebags... in the direct sun light. (I'm thinking of OCR's setup)

Still. There is a track record for carrying them, safely, that way where no such history exists for carrying gas in the frunk.

I'll start saving for RotoPax... IF I ever get anything at all. Traveling on the Interstates, as someone posted, means you really don't need the extended range 95% of the time!

Thank you for the thoughtful replies.

Back