• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain cover, skid plate, full exhaust

CB4ME

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm new to the forum and won't even get my new NC700X until late next week. But I've been learning a lot on this great forum.

I'm curious if anyone has any of these modifications on their bike, and if so how do you like them:

Plot "under-cover" (aluminum skid plate):

plot0017.jpg

Puig rear fender / chain guard in carbon fiber:

plot under cover.jpg

r'gear Wyvern full exhaust (cat free in stainless or titanium)

r'gear Wyvern au.jpg

r's gear Wyvern Ti.jpg

I've ordered an OEM centertand from Japan and definitely want to replace the bike's plastic chain cover. Taller screen, tail eliminator, intake and exhaust mods (plus power commander) and a new seat are possible mods, but only after I've put some miles on the bike.

Meanwhile the slow wait continues.

Last edited:
Did you know the OEM center stand is available as an accessory in the US........often found at a discount with free shipping?

Firstly I will suggest that for anything other than cosmetics, huggers are useless. I have posted pics on another thread here to prove this.

See http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-...58-2015-what-did-you-do-your-nc700-today.html .

What works best is an offroad style shock protector. Some folks on here have made their own to good affect and have posted pics on a related thread.

I think a bash plate is a good idea if one plans to take the bike offroad. However if you look at the plastic item that comes as original on the bike, you will see a large oval opening in it immediately in front of the exhaust ports. I believe that is there for a good reason to allow cooling air at the exhaust port. With that in mind I would suggest that any replacement should have similar venting incorporated into it. Just some thoughts.

The various skid plates have been discussed in detail in previous posts.

The Puig hugger has also been discussed in detail. One photo showed there was very little clearance between the fender and the tire, which might limit options on replacement tires. Another thread mentions problems with the mounting hardware.
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/6110-puig-rear-hugger-pics.html

I realize the forum's search function doesn't work well, but it's worth a try. Another option is to just use Google to find forum threads.

Last edited:
The various skid plates have been discussed in detail in previous posts.

The Puig hugger has also been discussed in detail. One photo showed there was very little clearance between the fender and the tire, which might limit options on replacement tires. Another thread mentions problems with the mounting hardware.
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/6110-puig-rear-hugger-pics.html

I realize the forum's search function doesn't work well, but it's worth a try. Another option is to just use Google to find forum threads.

Thanks 670. Will do much more reading and searching too.

Sounds like the skid plate I posted would need some cooling holes in front of the headers.

I'm getting my centerstand for $87 which includes 3 day shipping from "Mr. T" in Japan.

I'll continue searching for a replacement chain guard. I had a Plot and then a WM chain guard on my 1100.

Thanks 670. Will do much more reading and searching too.

Sounds like the skid plate I posted would need some cooling holes in front of the headers.

I'm getting my centerstand for $87 which includes 3 day shipping from "Mr. T" in Japan.

I'll continue searching for a replacement chain guard. I had a Plot and then a WM chain guard on my 1100.

A member of our forum, HONDABIKEPRO, builds probably the most robust skid plates. They include a cutout for the catalytic converter. See here: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/south-bound-honda/5694-hondabikepro-products.html. The NC700, despite being a twin, has only one exhaust header pipe leaving the head, followed almost immediately by the single catalytic converter. Of course, if you go with a full exhaust sans cat, then that scenario changes.

I ordered the OEM centerstand and Plot chain guard from Japan. The price for the Honda centerstand is $75 US and the chain guard cost $100 US. Three-day shipping for the 2 items was $35. Today is a national holiday in Japan so I won't get the goods until Friday.

That's all my mods for now. Hopefully I will have the bike on Wednesday or Thursday. If the snow melts, I might get to ride it this weekend.

I ordered the OEM centerstand and Plot chain guard from Japan. The price for the Honda centerstand is $75 US and the chain guard cost $100 US. Three-day shipping for the 2 items was $35. Today is a national holiday in Japan so I won't get the goods until Friday.

That's all my mods for now. Hopefully I will have the bike on Wednesday or Thursday. If the snow melts, I might get to ride it this weekend.

Just curious about your purchase of a metal chain guard. I've not seen anyone here do that mod yet. What is the motivation for going with metal?

Just curious about your purchase of a metal chain guard. I've not seen anyone here do that mod yet. What is the motivation for going with metal?

You're asking someone who spent upwards of $10,000 on farkles for a CB1100.:D. I'm almost embarrassed to say I was the Samurider.com Customer of the Year for 2014. Just say I have a terminal case of farkle fever.

The OEM guard on the NC700 made me grimace when I first saw it. I'm just not a big fan of plastic covers, although functionally they are perfectly fine and don't show dirt like a metal one.

You're asking someone who spent upwards of $10,000 on farkles for a CB1100.:D. I'm almost embarrassed to say I was the Samurider.com Customer of the Year for 2014. Just say I have a terminal case of farkle fever.

The OEM guard on the NC700 made me grimace when I first saw it. I'm just not a big fan of plastic covers, although functionally they are perfectly fine and don't show dirt like a metal one.

OK. Short answer is that it's cosmetic. I just wondered if there was a structural or protective nature to the metal chain guard. Thanks for your reply.

Plot skid plate TAKE 2:

I got a copy of Honda Japan's "Customize Parts Catalog" for the NC750. It includes Honda OEM accessories and official Honda certified vendor products. They show the Plot skid plate or what they call an "under guard". So it appears the Plot skid plate is a Honda approved product.....even though it lacks a ventilation port for the header/cat. Cost is about $250 plus shipping (about $25-30).

What got my attention is that offer it in brushed aluminum and in black. Having a black NC700 with blacked out engine, I'm sorely tempted.

It wouldn't be hard to drill a set of strategically placed holes to ventilate the catalytic converter.

I think it improves the bike's look, replacing 3 pieces of plastic (2 black and 1 gray) with a single metal piece, a BLACK piece in my case.

Plot skid plate TAKE 2:
It wouldn't be hard to drill a set of strategically placed holes to ventilate the catalytic converter.

If you are going to get that full exhaust system in your list, you won't have to worry about drilling holes for the cat. The new headpipe will run much cooler without the cat and it wouldn't be necessary. You'll find the engine temps are even lower and the fan comes on half as often as it did before.

This is the one I bought, $282 shipped from TT in Rhode Island:

SW Motech-Aluminum Skidplate (Honda NC700/NC750 with DCT) Twisted Throttle Canada

2012-NC700X-Engine-Guard-with-DCT.jpgNC700X-Engine-Guard-with-DCT.jpg

There are four bolts that hold the silver plate on so oil changes should not be a problem. I would have loved to buy the Hodabikepro skid plate but at about twice the money I couldn't and still get some cheap, used Monokey luggage to help protect the back end of the bike. I did buy the Hondabikepro rear seat replacement plate which is on it's way to me via UPS. I've been worried that I might not be able to get the rear seat open to get at the fuel cap.

Last edited:
Love this part of the SW-Motech skid plate description:

"Note: This Engine Guard is for motorbikes with manual gearshift. For models with automatic gearshift (without DCT) the correct item number is MSS.01.151.10000."

How many of you bought a model with automatic gearshift without DCT? :confused: Is that where the gears change automatically but you need to operate the clutch?

BTW, that skid plate DOES look nice.

Last edited:
I have kijima engine guards and R&G side engine covers. I wonder if this skid plate would fit under my bike? It does look really nice!

Back