• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Checking engine oil with centerstand.

rjarrell

Reaction score
Visit site
Does any have info on checking oil with a center stand. Most motorcycles state that oil is checked while on the center stand. NC700x manual says to check holding motorcycle upright on wheels. Thats tricky by yourself as only a slight tilt changes the level greatly

I suggest you try it both ways and note if there is any difference.

I personally have not found a notable difference on the NC for center stand vs held upright. In fact, I usually just add 3.6 qt at oil change, then I often forget to check it until the next change 8000 miles later, since it doesn't consume any oil anyway.

A tip for checking the oil with the bike upright: lean bike on the sidestand. Wipe dipstick clean. Sit on bike while holding dipstick resting on threads, but not screwed in, as per Honda instructions. Slowly lean bike up until it's vertical. Don't go past vertical. Lean it back on the sidestand. Check the level on the dipstick.

Has anyone ever noted oil consumption on the NC700 that required adding oil between changes? None of the eight road going vehicles I use consume enough oil to require adding it between changes, and the oldest is a 1995 model, while the one with the longest interval is doing close to 10,000 miles between changes.

Last edited:
Find a perfectly level point on a hard surface at your home or workplace and then the oil can be checked using the centrestand. Use a spirit level to ensure that the location is level if necessary. As mentioned above use both methods to see if there is a difference. However, if there is, I suspect it will be slight. I always check mine with the bike in the same position and location to ensure there is no variation.

I would recommend with out the center stand. If you find a spot that is perfectly level you put your bike on the center stand and now the bike is leaning forward, not level. I was checking my oil this way because you have the side to side centered, i over filled it luckily not to much but it's better to be a little low then to over fill your oil. Try 670cc's lean check method, that's what I do, works great

Last edited:
It doesn't matter enough to worry my head over, but that's just my head. I use the centerstand most of the time to check it.

I check it on the center stand. I've done the whole balancing act garbage, and then checked it right after on the center stand. There's so little difference it just doesn't matter. Putting an extra ounce or two into the crankcase will make as much difference, IMO, and if you think putting an ounce or two more or less into this motor makes the slightest difference in all the world, you're foolin' yourself. (said with a Monty Python-esque tone). :)

Has anyone ever noted oil consumption on the NC700 that required adding oil between changes?

Nope. Not enough to even be detectable, for me.

Has anyone ever noted oil consumption on the NC700 that required adding oil between changes?

Normally my bike does not consume oil between intervals ... but when I went to the Grand Canyon in 2014, I had to tow in the desert over a distance of about 30 miles and on a road with deep sand traps another bike (big Triumph Explorer 1200). I add 1/2 pint of oil the next day ... lol

[...Thats tricky by yourself as only a slight tilt changes the level greatly]

If you're worried about that, just put a short piece of 2 x 4 under the front tire. FYI: I always check the oil with the bike on the centerstand.

Back