• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question connect electrical accessories when 6pin connector is occupied

vinay

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there,

so far I don't even have motorcycle but this upcoming Saturday I'm planning to pick up 2020 NC750X which appears to be quite well equipped straight from the factory. In this context in particular, the bike is equipped with the Honda heated grips and their floodlights. I've been digging through the manuals and from what I understand, the Honda heated grips are supposed to be powered by the 6 pin connector so I trust that's also how it has been installed. Thing is, I've got this GPS navigation device which I plan to install once I've got hold of the bike so initially I was planning to order this kit so that I could get going straight away but this one needs the 6 pin connector as well. So that got me wondering, is there still a way to connect electrical accessories or would my only option be to connect it straight to the battery? My concern would be that if I'd do that, the power adaptor might drain the bike battery when the bike is parked and the navigation device is removed.

Obviously I could remove the side panel once I've got the bike but if someone is already running a similar configuration (so the factory installed Honda heated grips) this rider may also be aware of what my options are. In which case I could order the parts I need up front hence be done just a tiny bit quicker. If not, no worries. I'll just wait and pop the side panel next week.

Thanks a lot for looking in this!

Hi there,

so far I don't even have motorcycle but this upcoming Saturday I'm planning to pick up 2020 NC750X which appears to be quite well equipped straight from the factory. In this context in particular, the bike is equipped with the Honda heated grips and their floodlights. I've been digging through the manuals and from what I understand, the Honda heated grips are supposed to be powered by the 6 pin connector so I trust that's also how it has been installed. Thing is, I've got this GPS navigation device which I plan to install once I've got hold of the bike so initially I was planning to order this kit so that I could get going straight away but this one needs the 6 pin connector as well. So that got me wondering, is there still a way to connect electrical accessories or would my only option be to connect it straight to the battery? My concern would be that if I'd do that, the power adaptor might drain the bike battery when the bike is parked and the navigation device is removed.

Obviously I could remove the side panel once I've got the bike but if someone is already running a similar configuration (so the factory installed Honda heated grips) this rider may also be aware of what my options are. In which case I could order the parts I need up front hence be done just a tiny bit quicker. If not, no worries. I'll just wait and pop the side panel next week.

Thanks a lot for looking in this!
It does not appear to me that the heated grips connect to the 6P option connector. You might grab a 2020 NC750X overall schematic on-line and see how the 6P option connector is supplied. Here is a link to the heated grip attachment kit instructions, which should give you an overview of the grip connections and power source. There is a heated grip wiring diagram that does not appear to show the 6P option connector involved. https://cdn.powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08T70-MKA-D80.pdf

I am familiar with 2012 wiring, but not 2020 models. My gut tells me the option harness will supply multiple accessories. Of course, if you wait until you get the bike, you’ll be able to determine what you have to work with.

It does not appear to me that the heated grips connect to the 6P option connector. You might grab a 2020 NC750X overall schematic on-line and see how the 6P option connector is supplied. Here is a link to the heated grip attachment kit instructions, which should give you an overview of the grip coonnections and power source. https://cdn.powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08T70-MKA-D80.pdf

I am familiar with 2012 wiring, but not 2020 models. My gut tells me the option harness will supply multiple accessories. Of course, if you wait until you get the bike, you’ll be able to determine what you have to work with.
Thanks for your quick response. I must have been mixing things up, looking at both manuals and apparently losing track of what I was looking at. They (the grips and the accessories harness) do appear to be using the same fuse and relay but I suppose that should be fine. If he also has a 12V or usb connector installed, the harness is probably installed as well and I can just use that. The bike does come with a full set of top- and sidecases which according to the current Honda product page is part of their so-called "travel pack" and which also includes an USB charge port. Not sure whether it was like that back in 2020 too but it doesn't seem unlikely. I'll wait for the bike then.

As a quick-and-dirty solution for the time being, would it be acceptable to connect the adaptor to the battery directly or would the adaptor definitely drain and damage the battery when parked (with the navigation device disconnected)?

As a quick-and-dirty solution for the time being, would it be acceptable to connect the adaptor to the battery directly
or would the adaptor definitely drain and damage the battery when parked (with the navigation device disconnected)?
Since the only description given in post #1 was, “I‘ve got this GPS navigation device”, it would be impossible for me to advise. You could measure the current draw when you have the device and the motorcycle together. Or just wait to see if the bike has the accessory harness already installed.

Fair, I wouldn't know either. Officially, most of these power adaptors claim to draw no current at all when there is no device connected but reality is that they do. But yeah, we've landed in the what-if territory and indeed best is to just call it a day. Next week I'll pop the side panel and see whether it is there or not. Either way, thank you for taking the time to respond and have a great day!

If you are going to add only one or two accessories, you could install something like Heal Tech's Thunder box. Anything connected to the TB would be turned off when the ignition is turned off. I hesitate to recommend a product I do not like, but it might solve your problem. Read this before you order one. If you are going to add multiple accessories, perhaps a small fuse box would be more appropriate.

Yes, the TB does have a parasitic load....

If you are going to add only one or two accessories, you could install something like Heal Tech's Thunder box. Anything connected to the TB would be turned off when the ignition is turned off. I hesitate to recommend a product I do not like, but it might solve your problem. Read this before you order one. If you are going to add multiple accessories, perhaps a small fuse box would be more appropriate.

Thanks for your suggestion. At this point I don't really have a problem (nor a motorbike) but will look into it when I do. Best practice at this point seems to me to connect the navigation charger to the 6-pin harness but I suppose it will become much more clear to me once I've looked at the actual bike. Once I do have the side lid off, I'll read through your suggestion again to put it in context. Cheers!

Re the parasitic load,I installed a switch to the thunderbox in the frunk to make sure its disconnected when its in the garage

Re the parasitic load,I installed a switch to the thunderbox in the frunk to make sure its disconnected when its in the garage
If you need to switch Thunderbox on and off, what purpose does it serve? Is it just an auto-resetable fuse?

If you need to switch Thunderbox on and off, what purpose does it serve? Is it just an auto-resetable fuse?
It is in effect a fused (circuit breaker) circuit for your bike. I would guess that there is no need to turn it off unless you are storing the bike for month(s).

Yeah, I wouldn't expect it to be required at this point. The navigation device isn't supposed to draw that much power that it might pop a circuit breaker. If I'd connect the power adaptor to the battery directly, a switch (to disconnect it when the bike is parked and the device is disconnected) might the quick-and-slightly-less-dirty solution but either way it would be temporary. To connect it to the 6 pin connector is the proper way to do it I suppose. Regardless, my navigation to bring the bike back home this Saturday would some notes scribbled on a piece of paper, slid in a plastic sleeve, strapped to the frunk. Served many well for decades, should serve me well for the time being :).

Alright, got the bike this Saturday, rode some 300km, it is a beauty and so much easier to drive than the Yamaha MT07 I used for my driving lessons!

Back to my original question, I found a 12V socket in the frunk which implies that the harness has already been installed. I haven't yet opened the left side panel yet. Might do that tomorrow unless I understand that I need something else before I can connect the cable of the power adaptor right away. In the manuals I've found, it appears that the original Honda accessories have a plug which goes straight into the harness. The adaptor I have doesn't have a plug, just two wires. Is that plug part of the harness so I can just use an unoccupied one or is it something I have to buy separately? The plug doesn't appear to be too different (in shape and function, probably not in size) as what you often find when connecting bicycle lights to the bicycle dynamo. In these cases it typically is part of the light or dynamo in question so all you need in those cases is just the cable. So yeah, is it like that on the Honda as well or will I need some special and separate plug?

Thanks in advance!

which implies that the harness has already been installed.
When it comes to wiring,there is very little that implies that the unseen parts were done properly. I don't know what the accessory harness is so I cannot comment beyond it appears to be very similar to the Quartet Harness offered by Honda to ST1300 owners - quartet because there were 4 pairs spliced to the 6 pin connector. Each of these had a factory installed connector (so called Hitachi(?)). One was for heated grips, one for comms, one always powered, etc. Again, this was for another bike.

Alright, got the bike this Saturday, rode some 300km, it is a beauty and so much easier to drive than the Yamaha MT07 I used for my driving lessons!

Back to my original question, I found a 12V socket in the frunk which implies that the harness has already been installed. I haven't yet opened the left side panel yet. Might do that tomorrow unless I understand that I need something else before I can connect the cable of the power adaptor right away. In the manuals I've found, it appears that the original Honda accessories have a plug which goes straight into the harness. The adaptor I have doesn't have a plug, just two wires. Is that plug part of the harness so I can just use an unoccupied one or is it something I have to buy separately? The plug doesn't appear to be too different (in shape and function, probably not in size) as what you often find when connecting bicycle lights to the bicycle dynamo. In these cases it typically is part of the light or dynamo in question so all you need in those cases is just the cable. So yeah, is it like that on the Honda as well or will I need some special and separate plug?

Thanks in advance!
The Honda harness does not provide a terminal strip for connecting individual wires. If what ever device you have has only two individual wires for power connection, then it will not connect directly to the Honda access harness unless you 1) buy a matching plug to install on your device’s wires, 2) cut the Honda socket off and splice the wires directly, 3) cut the Honda connector off and install your own style mating plug and socket to make the connection.

Thanks, I found this on in The Netherlands (where I live): https://www.rdae.nl/hon2-stekker-2-polig.html?id=243671596&quantity=1. They charge 1 euro a piece (or 7.50 for a pack of ten) and 7 euros for shipping. Still sounds better than cutting up an otherwise good original component but still silly to pay a sevenfold for shipping as the component is worth. I think I'll call or drop by a local Honda dealer and see what they have in a drawer and are willing to sell over the counter. Always good to build a bit of a relationship with a local dealer you know and trust. And of course if they do have the connector, I can't see them charge 8 euros for it :).

I think I'll call or drop by a local Honda dealer and see what they have in a drawer and are willing to sell over the counter. Always good to build a bit of a relationship with a local dealer you know and trust. And of course if they do have the connector, I can't see them charge 8 euros for it :).
Let us know what you discover.

Thanks, will do. I just realized there is a garage around the corner. They primarily do cars but I also saw a motorcycle in their showroom. Honda makes cars as well so I might as well drop by. If they have these terminals in stock, that's by far the quickest option. I also found my chain oiler kit was delivered when I arrived home (the Osco chain oiler with the Scorpion dual injector from Scottoiler) so I'll give that one priority before I delve into the electronics. The easier I make chain maintenance for myself, the more likely I'll be to perform it on time, the longer my drivetrain will last :).

Alright, the car and motorcycle dealers I visited didn't have these connectors in stock so I just ended up buying a good bunch of these 2 way connectors. Opened up the side panel, turns out the harness uses 3 way connectors where they just leave the middle one empty. I wasn't prepared for that. So I just stole the connector of the 12V socket (which was already installed in my frunk) and used that for my navigation device. That one is working now. I bundled the cables of the 12V socket near the upper side panel so when I have found another 3 way plug somewhere, I can bring that one back to life. Thinking of it, I could just plugged these copper strips into each each other without the plastic connector and the 12V socket would be working already. But I'd be kicking myself if they'd either snap due to fatigue (due to vibrations when riding) or one would come off, touch the other one and blow a fuse. So yeah, navigation device is working, 12V socket stopped working, I'm fine with that for the time being.

Back