• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Couple questions for DCT owners

DBLXX

Reaction score
Visit site
I think this relates to mostly 16+

Did you adjust the (D) RPM shifting points? If so to what?

Do you keep it in D or S1,2,3?

In what situations do you use manual? How often do you find yourself using it?

What do you have your adjustable gauges set to on the dash?

Did you change the color variables?

Thanks!

Hey DBLXX, I own a 2016. When i got my bike the ink on my license was still too wet know what I should have been adjusting. I may change them this season now that I'm more experienced.
I was using S2 most of the time until I had some problems with the bike sticking in 1st. My Honda mechanic recommended using D for a while. I don't notice much of a difference.
I've used M on the highway to force the bike into 6th gear. I've kicked the bike into M on accident while riding in traffic and to avoid being run over by a car had to shift manually.
The only time I've ever looked at the manual was the day I got the bike and embarrassingly enough, it's because I couldn't get it into 1st gear. Didn't know I had to have the kickstand up.
There are adjustable gauges??? After the time, MPG, and trip meters, what else is there to change?
You can change the color variables??? Actually, I like them the way they are.
Thing is, I spent most of my first year getting to know the riding aspects of the bike and the capabilities of the DCT and ABS. Practicing my quick stops, sharp turns and minimizing the risk of injuring myself.
Last year I spent learning maintenance and customizing. Like a taller windshield and getting rid of that torture device they call a seat. In between, I got in some really good ride time and took riding classes.
This year, when it finally warms up here in Chicago, I plan to take another ride down to Starved Rock, up to Milwaukee, and possibly Michigan City. By then I'll have the bike just the way I want and need it.
My advice - Ride the bike, learn what it does and doesn't do first, then start changing things to your liking.

I bought a left over '16 in August of this year. I love the thing. Just wish it would warm up some so I can ride it. I drive it in D mode 100% of the time. My dealer said to keep it in D mode during the break in period, so I did. Now I just go with it in D mode to get the max economy. I have noticed that when I want to accelerate up a hill the bike will lug while in 6th gear so I use the paddle shifters to force it into 5th gear. Some complain about it shifting into 6th gear too soon, but I don't care because I can use the paddle shifters to change the gear anytime I see fit.

I haven't changed the shift points. Didn't see a need to

I never use the manual mode but I do use the paddle shifters.

I agree with Techrat on the adjustable gauges.

I didn't change the colors. Honestly, I am too busy watching the road to care what the colors are and what they mean.

Just go and ride the thing. You will love it.

I have a 2016 DCT (but the 750cc version). I generally use the auto 'D' mode, with occasional forays into 'S' mode. For me 'D' is more relaxing, and the 'S' modes cause me to be increasingly more aggressive working through the S's. I'm OK is S1, but by the time I'm in S3 I'm frothing at the mouth. For the gauges- I prefer to use fuel consumption readings (gallons or litres used). The fuel gauge doesn't have as fine a gradation as I want, and the shape of the fuel tank means the gauge doesn't correlate well/evenly with consumption. As for the instrument colour, by the time I've set the fuel consumption 'trip meter' it's reset itself to some random scheme, that takes a couple miles of riding for me to figure out. If it's set itself to 'gear position mode' I'm happy. As for manual mode, if you're not happy with the DCT's choice of shift points that's your fall back. If you're generally happy with the auto shifting you can still use the manual triggers (while in auto mode) to downshift or upshift at will- like downshifting to get a little engine breaking for stops etc.

Last edited:
I guess you want to change the shift points because you feel it upshifts way too early?

I had to same feeling when I first rode my '13 DCT model but after a while, I no longer let it bother me. The shift points in D are set for max fuel economy and it can still scoot ahead of most any car from a stoplight plus as a previous poster mentioned, you can always downshift to a lower gear if necessary.

With regard to running in I went the total opposite of the dealers advice to the member above as D mode allowed the revs to drop too low for a bike running in. I used S1 accordingly.

However to answer some of the OP's questions in relation to DCT , I only use D mode when on a long cruising trip on a motorway or other similar main road. To me it is the "chill" mode. When on my favoured backroads I always use S1 and when riding briskly I intervene constantly with the paddles to change up. I intervene occasionally to change down but not as often as changing up. My reason is that D mode changes up too quickly, and S1 sometimes not quickly enough. However I have no issue with this and the combination of S1 + use of the manual system suits me perfectly.

I have a 2013 model.

D-Mode is what many on this forum have referred to as "Senior Citizen Mode", not to offend anyone here. This mode keeps the revs down and the shift points are down set at low RPMs to give a gentle ride. I find it to be annoying as the bike wants to shift into 6th gear at 40 MPH. The response is sluggish and you have to hold the throttle wide-open to get it shift into the correct grear for conditions. Then it will shift back into 6th gear again when the throttle is returned to normal positions. The only use I find for this mode is to move the bike short distances like to the front of the house and when I am cruising out on the highway for a long distance.

S-Mode (which 2015 and earlier models only have one) is my go-to mode for all my normal driving conditions. The bike behaves as it should and it more responsive to throttle inputs and has increased revs between shifts.

MT-Mode (Manual Mode) is used in situations where you need better control over shifting when using the overrides buttons. I use this mode mostly for heavy traffic and while lane-splitting. In this mode, the bike will only self-downshift into first if you come to a complete stop. Quite useful in situations where you need to come to complete stop quickly.

I have not found a way set the shift points myself. When I was looking to purchase this bike, Honda boasted that the DCT had a "Learning Mode" that the ECU would self-map the shift-points from your riding style. I find my bike shifts at times when I place my finger on the "-" button before I can press it. So, I would have to say there is some truth to it.

I am not aware of any method of changing the shift points on any of the auto modes. If there is one I would be glad to hear of it.

I’ll get the page number later but in the 2016 manual it clearly states that in D mode the RPM’s can be manually adjusted to your desired shift point.

How and where I'm riding changes the way I use DCT so it is hard to generalize but I'll try. 2015 model with only D and S.

I used to not use D much at all but I have evolved to use D most of the time unless I'm riding fast on technical roads and need/desire to hold a gear into or through a corner until I choose to change it. Even then often I'll use the thumb paddle to downshift at my command into the corner and let it up shift on its own out of the corner. Under wide open throttle it has the same shift points in D or S so if I'm wringing it's neck upshift points are the same. I find that using the shift paddles to override D's shift points is second nature and closed throttle downshifts in D feel smoother and less jerky than in S so D with manual overrides give me the best of D and S without having to toggle D/S constantly with my right thumb.

I’ll get the page number later but in the 2016 manual it clearly states that in D mode the RPM’s can be manually adjusted to your desired shift point.
Yes, with the paddles but it does not permanently change them. That requires a computer program change - impossible with the bike.

Page 37.

You can set the shift up point. The range of the adjustment: 4,200-6,400.

I may be misunderstanding it.

I think you're confused by the manual's "shift up mode setting" which really only changes the tachometer color to amber at a user-settable rpm (normally 5,000 rpm but adjustable between 4,200 and 6,400). The DCT's shift points are generally preset

I want to thank everyone that responded to this I am still learning about this bike and this information is very useful

Thanks for that. I will go look. My NC is the X-Adv but exactly the same motor and system so it should be there.

One thing my DCT does that makes me want to leave it in S1 instead of D is that when in D and I gun it, like to get around an idiot Uber driver who is going 1/2 the speed limit, it tends to over-rev. Meaning it will downshift but hang in that gear longer than it should, after I've reduced throttle.
Often I will to use my index finger to get it to upshift back into the proper gear. I could wait a second longer, but I'd prefer to be in the correct gear at all times.
My Mustangs (both automatic) have both done something similar, so maybe this is just something common to automatics, but it's definitely worse on the DCT on my bike.

One thing my DCT does that makes me want to leave it in S1 instead of D is that when in D and I gun it, like to get around an idiot Uber driver who is going 1/2 the speed limit, it tends to over-rev. Meaning it will downshift but hang in that gear longer than it should, after I've reduced throttle.
Often I will to use my index finger to get it to upshift back into the proper gear. I could wait a second longer, but I'd prefer to be in the correct gear at all times.
My Mustangs (both automatic) have both done something similar, so maybe this is just something common to automatics, but it's definitely worse on the DCT on my bike.

As many others mentioned earlier regarding D-Mode. It is set up to keep the engine revs down for optimum fuel economy and riding comfort for some. I have found out years ago that the ECU would shift the bike into 6th gear at about 40 MPH in most cases. You would have to hold the throttle wide open to get it to shift into the proper gear for that speed. I do believe that the engine revs are set to 4,000 RPM before shifting into the gear in most cases. Light throttle operation will cuase the bike to shift into 6th gear at 40 MPH, a little heavier on the throttle will change those shift points. I find D-Mode to be mostly useless in most situations. I only use it to move the bike short distances, like from the garage to the end of driveway or when I am cruising at a constant speed out on the highway to keep it in 6th gear.

S-Mode on the earlier models will set the revs to 6,000 before shifting on its own in most cases. I use this mode 90% of the time with NaNCy. I also like to use the "+ & -" buttons for override shifting on demand. There is nothing wrong with doing override shifts, I personally enjoy it as it gets me more engauged when riding this bike. It is also optional, if you just want to twist the throttle and go down the road.

I rode a 2015 VFR1200X over 2 years ago or so and it had multiple S-Modes. I personally did not see much difference between S1, S2, and S3 on my short ride at the Long Beach Show. I would have liked taking the bike out on a 100 mile ride to see what this bike could do, but alias I couldn't. Many people on this forum claim there subtle difference in the shift points between these modes, I'll have to take their word for it at this point.

Have you tried using one of the other S-modes already? The VFR1200X would not allow changing between these modes than in motion.

I hope that you do not get discouraged with this bike. DCT is a great thing once you learn to let go of conventional thinking and embrace what it has to offer.

With this digital bar tach it's tough knowing exactly what rpm I am in. I wouldn't attempt to try to tell if I were doing 4200 or 4400 when on the street!
I don't really like downshifting the DCT because I have a long thumb and the - tab isn't as easy to access as the + tab. Good thing it downshifts by itself when coming to a stop.
Will try riding in S1 and S3 tomorrow when running errands.

I liked how the Redondo Beach PD were showing their VFR1200X at the Bike Show.

Back