• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Cultural quirk or universal biker code?

Many years ago, in 1972, I bought a new Toyota Celica. At that time Toyota's were not that common and the Celica was brand new, if you saw another Celica you or they would beep beep the horn and wave at each other. I believe that it was an affirmation of having made the proper choice of vehicle. I also saw Opel, Renault, Cortina, Saab. Triumph, MG people all doing the same thing.... Nothing really has changed and I wave at anyone on a bike or first generation Celica.

ed

Anyone who needs their ego fed by a wave from me is going to miss a feeding. Especially the guys in wifebeater t-shirts with pudding bowls on their heads and riding what must be a $20,000 motor-driven gynecologist's chair. I have no sense of belonging with that crowd.

Did you mean something like this?

chopperchair2.jpg

Hey ed, in those days a wave from anyone driving one of those other cars besides the Celica probably meant, "Come here, I need a tow."

Here in France the wawing between motorcycle is common, there is even a photography of two motorcycle wawing in the book you have to learn when you pass your driving license (I don't know if in other countries you have to learn an 130 pages book ?).
I do that and answer too. Obviously, this is not possible in some driving circumstancies. About scooters, it seems that this habit doesn't exist. With HD drivers usualy no response, except when I drove my ex Shadow who looks bigger for his 125 cubic ccs.

B.R.

If I'm about to be passed by a fellow rider, is it proper to throw a hand out first as they go by, or wait to see if they wave, then throw one out they can see in the mirror?

If I'm about to be passed by a fellow rider, is it proper to throw a hand out first as they go by, or wait to see if they wave, then throw one out they can see in the mirror?

Just shoot him a bird and find out if he is packing heat. Honestly everyone, why not just wave if you want to, when you want to, and how you want to. If it doesn't meet the other rider's needs, he can take it up with his analyst. Or pout. Or race off. Or shoot.

LaughHard.gif

I wave at everyone. If they are on Harleys they are usually too cool to wave back... I figure they are afraid to let go of the bars for a second... Or something like that. (Or maybe you can't hold your smoke, beer, and Old Lady's leg at the same time) I dunno. I'm going back to lurking!
Mike

I will return a wave with no concern for what someone may be riding so I get in a lot of waves cause it seems to be the thing to do.

That being said, I would be perfectly happy if no one waved. I don't see the point when there are so many bikes on the road. It gets to be a pita. When I am in my car I don't wave at all the other cars.:rolleyes:

I do remember having the same issue when I had an old Corvette though. I finally broke down and started waving at Corvettes. Believe it or not that group is stratified by year model like bikers are stratified by manufacturer. The drivers in the latest model were the least likely to wave.:confused:

Back