Custom Rear Rack, Tusk Large Panniers

andyFromWi

Reaction score
I thought I would post some pictures of a rear rack I made for my 2014 NC700X.

Custom Rack to use with Tusk Aluminum Pannier Boxes (Large)

This is a rack a designed and built to work with a pair of Tusk Panniers.
It takes about 5 minutes to install the rack. Four hex head bolts, and four 12mm bolts to attach to the lower frame.

The panniers are set into place that locked from the inside by a 1/2 bolt tightened form the inside of the pannier.

I still have more modification to make, but I wanted to get it painted so I can test it out.

I did mount it a bit forward, to keep the weight near the center of the rear axle. Though I did not plan, a passenger can sit on the rear seat with the rack and panniers in place. I'm still thinking about making a custom style DalePlate to access the fuel tank for when loaded with luggage.

IMG_20200507_162550.jpg

IMG_20200507_162601.jpg
IMG_20200507_162608.jpg
IMG_20200507_162749.jpg
IMG_20200507_162801.jpg
IMG_20200507_162818.jpg
I still have to paint and put on lock nuts on the brackets.
Pannier just drops in place, there is a hole on the top plate for a lock bolt that is secured from inside the pannier.

IMG_20200328_185115.jpg
Initial plan... It changed a great deal once I started fabricating.

I will be also adding an attachment for fishing poles and additional equipment.

-andy

6/17/2020 I added an external fuel can, and did a short 3 minute video the system
I'm still working on the fishing pole rack, top box..

video:

Attachments

Last edited:

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Amazing! That right there is some beautiful design and fabrication work.

Klap

Reaction score
Great work! Although I have Givi Outback side cases and mounting racks to match, I fabbed up a rear rack to mount my top box, ( Bestem), which is better for storing a helmet and jacket. Your design is well thought out.

Last edited:

melensdad

Reaction score
Very nice work. I will suggest that the addition of a Dale Rack (or something similar) is a wonderful addition, especially with the fuel filler cutout.

Jwalt

Reaction score
That is some really nice work. I got the Mmoto welded rack from Ukraine and I'm working on how to mount my Tusk boxes on it. This gives me ideas.

andyFromWi

Reaction score
Very nice work. I will suggest that the addition of a Dale Rack (or something similar) is a wonderful addition, especially with the fuel filler cutout.
I agree I want to add something for a fuel cut out, but still protect the fuel area.
Thanks for the feedback

andyFromWi

Reaction score
Great work! Although I have Givi Outback side cases and mounting racks to match, I fabbed up a rear rack to mount my top box, ( Bestem), which is better for storing a helmet and jacket. Your design is well thought out.
I'm still trying to decide on the top box and rear storage area, thanks for the suggestion about Bestem.
-andy

Klap

Reaction score
I'm still trying to decide on the top box and rear storage area, thanks for the suggestion about Bestem.
I got the Bestem because I could ride over to Tucker, GA, and pick it up-however, I don’t think they are still available. At $69, it was a steal. That included the mounting bases, I got two, so I could transfer it from bike to bike. Have used it daily for 8 years now. If you watch, there are deals on other brands, though.

Rapturee

Reaction score
WOW, holy smokes BatMan! I do a lot of fabrication and that is great work Andy! It looks real sharp on your bike and i really like the way you followed the lines of the NC. Two thumbs up!! :{)