• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT Manual mode - feedback ?

I got my NC700XD about 2 weeks ago.
I rode a CB750A Hondamatic over 20 years ago. That bike was a "Joke"...

Congrats for your new ride!
Pretty tall windscreen - is it sturdy or does it flex? Do you see through it or you are such a tall guy?

Do you remember enough of this CB750A Hondamatic to write a transmission behavior comparison?
It would be interesting to read how non-CVT automatic transmissions have progressed over time from the rider's perspective, from a past owner, even more as both products were made under the same "Honda mentality".

Very interested in this thread as I am thinking of getting a DCT on either an NC or CTX this Spring. (If it ever arrives to Northern Michigan!)
One thing that I have heard so far is that because of the freewheeling nature of the engine (Is that correct), downshifting becomes an important feature. But letting the trans do the up-shifting is just fine. More info on this?

PS: I had a manual/auto in my VW a few years ago. I tried out the manual a few times but after that, mostly used the auto feature.

I had a manual/auto in my VW a few years ago. I tried out the manual a few times but after that, mostly used the auto feature.
I guess the DSG box of the VW/Audi group is practically the same in operation minus the extra up-down shift ability while in auto modes. In cars the engine plays a nonexistent role as far as vehicle balance is concerned during normal use while in bikes you need some way of on-the-fly gear change operator command as the "intelligence" of the machine cannot cover all possible conditions of a low mass tilting vehicle being affected by engine braking and rpm gyroscopic effects.

Very interested in this thread as I am thinking of getting a DCT on either an NC or CTX this Spring. (If it ever arrives to Northern Michigan!)
One thing that I have heard so far is that because of the freewheeling nature of the engine (Is that correct), downshifting becomes an important feature. But letting the trans do the up-shifting is just fine. More info on this?

PS: I had a manual/auto in my VW a few years ago. I tried out the manual a few times but after that, mostly used the auto feature.

Yes you're on the right lines. All it is that some people prefer a little more engine braking that's why some people tend to do some downchanges themselves.

Well so far out of my 1300 miles I've used D mode 85% of the time, S mode about 10% and manual for the rest.

Manual mode has just been an experiment for me.

In D mode like many others I do use down shifts into corners, for overtakes I just pin the throttle and it'll drop down a gear or two, I've had no overtaking dramas, yet!

I also agree that the D/S paddle position is not in the best place, it messes about with my throttle position when changing between the two, I tend to only change modes on a closed throttle.
It would be much better placed if the S/D and M/T paddles were swapped around, or even on the left handle bar somewhere.

Having said all that, I have to say that I absolutely love my DCT and find it hard to imagine having a manual bike anymore.

I love the way that the gearbox does it's own thing while I'm concentrating on better things, like my road position, other traffic/pedestrians etc or even just kicking back a bit and enjoying the countryside on a quiet road.

Not to mention how smooth and linear the power is delivered, I hardly notice gear changes above going from 2nd to 3rd and even below that it's super slick.

I have a manual 6 speed NC... Thought about getting the DCT version but decided against it at the end....

Wondering if the engine RPM match when u downshift?

I am also the LA Area and I too was thinking like you in the beginning. I got to ride both of these bike, the MT was "Cool", but the "DCT" was cooler for me. You do not know what you are missing. 27 years of riding and I prefer this method more. You can put more attention to other items, like enjoying the ride or scenery.

I ride in D mode 90% of the time, but I still use manual over ride (so to speak) to drop a gear for overtaking, or to enhance engine braking when approaching corners quickly.

I personally used all "3" modes this morning on the ride into work. I find that "D-Mode" likes to "Strong Arm" it into 6th gear when you do not want it to at times. I was in traffic on CA118 headed West going about 50 MPH. "D-Mode" was forcing the trans into 6th gear, I'd "Downswift" and the ECU wanted to put in it back into 6th immediately. I then immediately put it into "MT-Mode" to keep it into 5th and switching into 4th at times. "S-Mode" may have worked, but I wanted "Full Contol" in those traffic conditions. We have a lot of "Numb-Skull" drivers in SoCal... :p

I have played with manual mode while riding normally, and it works... dunno what else to say about it. You might as well just use S mode though, and shift if you are not happy with the gear it wants to stay in. I use D mode 98.8% of the time.

I did find manual mode very useful for riding dirt though, when D kept swapping me into 3rd or 4th while going slow over crappy dirt roads.

I'm with Bruce. D on highways, S on congested city streets or 2 up. I feel S is more responsive and has sharper engine braking which I prefer when negotiating heavy traffic. As for manual, I see its only purpose as staying in one gear and not auto up shifting, such as in certain off road conditions. I've never found the need to use manual mode in daily road conditions.

I know most people say D for highway and S for city, but I prefer the other way round. On the highway MPG doesn't really make much difference whether you are in S or D as you will generally be in 6th and stay there. If you need to overtake on the highway at speed though, S is more responsive (and therefore safer IMHO). D round the town keeps me riding gently and economically.
Mike

What do you guys do when you want to bump up over a rock or tree root/whatever? :confused: I'm having a difficult time trying to visualize how an auto works for any momentum build up prior to hopping up and over something.

What happens if you keep your foot on the rear brake, but give it a big handful of throttle? Does it simply overpower the brake, or rev without forward thrust?

PS I've never owned an automatic car either. Driven a few of course, but not in any fun way.

If you blip the throttle hard enough in either auto mode, the dct will downshift automatically for more power, assuming doing so will not put it into the rev limiter.

If you give it gas while riding the rear brake it will overpower the brake.

If you give it gas while holding the front brake, it does burn-outs... not that I have done that... no. XD

Congrats for your new ride!
Pretty tall windscreen - is it sturdy or does it flex? Do you see through it or you are such a tall guy?

Do you remember enough of this CB750A Hondamatic to write a transmission behavior comparison?
It would be interesting to read how non-CVT automatic transmissions have progressed over time from the rider's perspective, from a past owner, even more as both products were made under the same "Honda mentality".

THX, on the my new ride. I coming a 2004 ST1300 with a tall windshield, which is adjustable at a press of a button, I'm "Spoiled" in that aspect. The windshield does flex or flap around, at least from what I have seen while riding around. I'm only 5' 11", if you consider that "Tall".

The 750 Hondamatic as I mentioned before was a "Joke", more like a P.O.S. I rode a CB750K4, that was a far better bike. The engine was "Powerful" and the bike as "Quick". The CB750A was a "DOG" or a "Turtle" in "Chaeta’s" clothing. If the oil level got “Low” it would slip out of gear very easily. I see why Honda gave this bike its own styling and identity, they did not want to associate it with the “Proven” CB750 K-Series bikes. I am sorry to say that I'm "Too Biased" on my feelings about and for this bike. They should have called it the POS750A... :p

275702.png

Back