• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Decent / Affordable Modular Helmet

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I have felt the 'want' for one of these as well. (glasses)
I have a buddy who has a one year old version of this helmet. Hopefully they have upgraded them a bit. His complaint is there is a small area inside that creates a sore spot after a few hours riding. I think he said the forehead area.
Actually, chances are he just has a mis-shapen head........:D

Great price though.
Good catch.
Bookmarked.
Let us know how it works out.

The main thing about a Modular Helmet is how it locks into place. Some have plastic locks, some have steel, and some have stainless steel. The plastic locks have a way of breaking on impact. #2 consideration is wind noise. Some make a lot of noise, some very little, but all make more noise than a full face. For some reason there is no correlation with price! And all Modular helmets are DOT, which may not be a bad thing.

for goodness sake is that all you value your head??
for a decent helmet you need to pay at least $200 or more.
cheap ones ..yes they may pass the safety mark labels etc.
let put it this way ,would you put cheap crappy tires on your bike??
of course not then why would you do likewise to your most valuable part of your body THE BRAIN.
b*gger that grey matter and the rest of you is useless.
so buy a decent helmet.

The Gmax GM54 was in an article in Rider Magazine several months ago. It received a good review. I ordered one as no dealers are nearby and to try one on to check the fit and finish. Well made, fit well, great ventilation. Cost $130+- shipped. In retrospect I'd order the white gloss instead of flat black for conspicuity.

Wouldn't contact lenses be a cheaper/more comfortable/healthy solution to your issue than a helmet change? (unless you can't wear them)

Cheaper helmets can also be decent helmets. Expensive helmets are sometimes better built and more comfortable but the extras are usually because of marketing costs and branding overheads.

Well done.
:p

for goodness sake is that all you value your head??
for a decent helmet you need to pay at least $200 or more.
cheap ones ..yes they may pass the safety mark labels etc.
let put it this way ,would you put cheap crappy tires on your bike??
of course not then why would you do likewise to your most valuable part of your body THE BRAIN.
b*gger that grey matter and the rest of you is useless.
so buy a decent helmet.
There are helmets with good protection that don't cost $300+. Much of the extra cost go to things such as better paint which adds no protection. Some of the higher cost materials that make a helmet lighter actually offer less impact protection. Many here chose the NC because of low purchase and operating cost. A few hundred dollars can be a big deal to some of us. 95% of bikers in Georgia wear helmets with no facial protection at all. The Gmax is thus somewhere in top 5% for protection

There are riders who wear open face helmets... half helmets etc. Choosing a Modular helmet is more protection than those... while likely less protection than a one piece full face. There are states in the US where you don't have to wear ANY helmet and can ride around with just eye protection...

It all depends on what you want and need in a helmet. I can say that on distance rides I want a modular helmet because I want to be able to drink and eat at gas stops without having to remove my helmet. I usually don't spend more than a few minutes at most gas stops on a long ride as I want to be spending that time riding. An open face helmet would work as well... but I've never felt right wearing open face helmets... not saying you shouldn't.. it's just not something that feels right for me.

All helmets are not created equal so doing your research is very important.

I wear a Nolan N43 Air helmet most of the time due to the great ventilation. It is not DOT approved... so technically it is illegal in the US. However it has Snell approval which seems to be more stringent then DOT in some opinions. I chose it because it is convertible as well. But it is not modular which is an issue for me. I have taken the chin brace off and used it without, but it feels wrong to me to do that as it is basically an open face in that configuration. I use it because of the ventilation.. there is nothing out there that I know of that vents like this thing. That overrides the modular need for me. I do however have a modular helmet, a Zox Nevado. Got it years ago for under $100 and while heavy it was good as a modular.. just not good at venting.

I paid over $300 for my Nolan N43 air.. had it imported from Italy. I love this helmet even though it is not modular just for it's venting. I am the most comfortable riding with it than any other helmet I have ever worn.

So figure out what you value most in a helmet and buy according to that. You will be happiest that way. Maybe get another one that satisfies your other wants so you can wear it when those needs are more important. During the winter months I like to use my Zox as I don't need the venting then.

If you can take a helmet on or off with glasses on your face, it is NOT a correct fit. Most people buy helmets way too big for initial comfort, but they should fit as snug as you can handle without pain or discomfort. No full face or modular design allows you to leave your glasses on.

Not familiar with the GMax 44, but I just got a GMax 54s from Jafrum for $125 with free shipping. The latches are metal, it has an integrated retractable tinted sun shield and a somewhat cheesy integrated red LED light on the back of the helmet. The light can be set off, on slow flashing or rapid flashing. They even have an accessory that turns it into a brake light.
At any rate, it fits me well and is comfortable. GMax seems to use a little bit softer padding, so after the helmet breaks in it becomes almost (but not quite) as comfortable as the high priced helmets. I've also used one of their open faced helmets for over a year and unlike some Shoei, HJC, Scorpion, etc. helmets I've had I've never gotten a headache from from the GMax. At any rate, I've been impressed with these helmets. About the only major difference I've found between these and the more expensive ones is the GMax is pretty heavy and the sliders on the vents and internal sun shade don't operate as smoothly or feel as solid as those on the higher end brands. On the other hand, the venting is really good.

Bob

I have the GMax 44, and I really like it. It did come with a tinted shield, along with the clear shield. It does seem a little noisy as compared to my full-face helmets, but since I wear earplugs and have a Sena SMH10, it really isn't a factor for me. It is comfortable, and the padding is soft. From my experience, I would probably give this helmet a 8.5/10 and certainly wouldn't be hesitant in buying another one.

Thanks for the heads up on a good buy. I gave $200 and change for my HJC IS MAXBT. It fits me well but is a tad noisy.
Let us know what you think of the GM44 when you get it. I need to go try on more helmets so I know how they fit.

Wouldn't contact lenses be a cheaper/more comfortable/healthy solution to your issue than a helmet change? (unless you can't wear them)

I have a really light prescription. If I don't wear my glasses I can't read street signs and if I wear contacts I can't read anything closer than arms length so I am stuck with glasses.

My husband has a Bilt Solar Modular helmet. It is well vented and an overall nice helmet. It can be purchased at Cycle Gear. The original price is $200, but when they have a sale on Bilt gear, it is 50% off. I have worn it on occasion and the only complaint I have is that is slightly noisier than my full face Bilt Spirit Pump. I don't see any compromise in quality at all.

He wears glasses, but removes them before putting on or removing the helmet. He says the advantage with glasses and a modular is that the way the padding is set up in the helmet allows clearance for the legs of the glasses to go over your ears and not be pressed against your head. Every movement of the helmet doesn't move the glasses around on your face.

1st of all folks my reply wasn't intended to insult or belittle to those who can't afford more.
just my opinion and that you can get away wearing cheap bike clothings etc,
you still survive with a skin rash or a broken arm or indeed lost!
but when it comes to that grey matter then thats a different story.
and I'm sure you guys don't need me to explain why's for etc.
buy the best helmet you can afford even if it means waiting a while longer.
me? well I would not pay any more than $300.
main thing about helmets is comfort,nothing worst than to feeling pressure points on your face.
that is almost as distracting as being cold on a bike.
wind noise is not a problem to me as I WEAR ear plugs.
ease of use(flip up) with gloves on and has a reasonable safety rating.
built in sun visor as my reactor glass's don't work with the visor down,and lastly air vents.

I haven't read so much bull***t about contacts for a long time... please do a serious research before posting anything.

You can wear contacts with the range from -10.00 to +6.00 as far as I remember... so light prescription is well within range. Moreover... you can wear different lenses for each eye (when different corrections are needed).
What else? When wearing contacts you can wear sunglasses after leaving the bike. You can wear colored lenses for aesthetics reasons. You can wear daily or monthly (with these you can comfortably sleep) lenses. They do not collect moisture, do not get foggy, do not require cleaning couple of times a day. Not mentioning the comfort. I could go on and on... just contact your ophthalmologist and see your options. You will forget the glasses, trust me.

We both use HJC IS MAX helmets.
I have about 75,000 miles on mine and have rebuilt the inside 2 times.It's still a good helmet,leaving on a 7,000 mile trip with it next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a pity that testing data isn't more widely available. The UK SHARP scheme publish results and give star ratings but they only test a few helmets every few months. Of their 5 Star modular helmets the cheapest is sold for about GBP90. That's a lot less money than some of the big brand helmets that only get 3 or 4 stars.

The higher price probably comes from using fancier materials in the linings and other fittings more than from better protection.

Even comfort is pretty much dependent on the shape of the helmet more than anything else. I tried on at least half a dozen before buying my latest - and it was the only one that didn't have a pressure point either on the back of the head or over the ears. I bought a Nolan N91 - not particularly cheap but half the price of the (for me unwearable) Schuberth C3 that my wife bought.

Back