• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Does anybody know how the coupled brake system works on the later model NC's ?

Both brakes work together? Just the ABS part? Using the rear applies the front? Vice versa?...........What?
2021 and later.
To my knowledge, the Honda NC700\750's do not have coupled brakes and I have never read any literature that suggests coupled brakes on these models.
Maybe someone will tell me differently but my 2022 DCT does not seem to have them.

The 2012/13 models had the Honda combined brake system. I know my NC700s has it. I don't think later models have them.
Basically, on bikes that have it, the front brake lever works the front brake but the back brake will work the back brake and one piston on the front.
The manual states:
Combined ABS (NC700SA/SD) Your motorcycle is equipped with a brake system that distributes the braking force between the front and rear brakes. The distribution of the braking force applied to the front and rear brakes is different when operating the lever only and when operating the pedal only. For full braking effectiveness, operate both the lever and pedal together. This model is also equipped with an Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) designed to help prevent the brakes from locking up during hard braking. Always use the recommended tyres to ensure correct ABS operation. ● ABS does not reduce braking distance. In certain circumstances, ABS may result in a longer stopping distance. ● ABS does not function at speeds below 10 km/h (6 mph). ● The brake lever and pedal may recoil slightly when applying the brakes. This is normal.
It does work well but I do find I use the rear pedal more than I would have on other bikes. Hopefully it won't become a habit.
A bit of digging and the 2024 NC750 DCT has linked abs according to Honda...

DISC BRAKES WITH COMBINED ABS​

Single front and rear disc brakes give the NC750X great stopping power. You’ll get ABS brakes that are linked rear-to-front for added stopping power, even under challenging conditions.

I do not know if this is the same as the system used on the 2012/13 models.

Thank you. I don't think my 2022 model has linked brakes but I will put it on the centre stand and see if both brakes operate if only the handlebar lever or rear brake pedal are used.
I know that the later '97 model CBR 1000F had the Honda Dual-CBS linked brakes slave cylinders, linkages and valves.

I don't think the 2022 model has c-abs.
How many pistons are on the front caliper? I think the linked brakes have 3. Later models have two. The third piston is the one that was activated by the rear brake. They also have different pads.
The front brake won't do anything for the back, it works from the back to the front. Also there will be a delay valve to stop the front forks diving when the system is in use.

I went outside this morning to hose some of the road crap from my 2022 NC750. Operated the front brake lever, the rear wheel is free to turn. Operated the back brake lever, the front wheel was free to turn.

DISC BRAKES WITH COMBINED ABS​

Single front and rear disc brakes give the NC750X great stopping power. You’ll get ABS brakes that are linked rear-to-front for added stopping power, even under challenging conditions.

I do not know if this is the same as the system used on the 2012/13 models.

I don’t know how the 2024 NC750X brakes work, or how they might work together. Perhaps a functional description from the service manual might shed some light on it. I want to say, however, that from my observation, Honda marketing (web site, brochures) is very crafty with words. When you read something in Honda marketing materials, keep yourself open to various ways the words could be interpreted. Even though they may be truthful, things may not be what they seem to be.

I don’t know how the 2024 NC750X brakes work, or how they might work together. Perhaps a functional description from the service manual might shed some light on it. I want to say, however, that from my observation, Honda marketing (web site, brochures) is very crafty with words. When you read something in Honda marketing materials, keep yourself open to various ways the words could be interpreted. Even though they may be truthful, things may not be what they seem to be.
Agreed. Mention of linked ABS rather than brakes?

Thank you. I don't think my 2022 model has linked brakes but I will put it on the centre stand and see if both brakes operate if only the handlebar lever or rear brake pedal are used.
I know that the later '97 model CBR 1000F had the Honda Dual-CBS linked brakes slave cylinders, linkages and valves.
I was going to suggest the OP try this. Put your bike on the center stand and a jack, with both wheels airborne. Operate the brake controls and see what actions take place at the wheels.

I was out on the bike today and had a look at the front brake. (NC700s 2013). It has 3 pistons. The centre piston is smaller then the outer two. It is the one operated by the rear.
I would think that if you have 3 pistons, there is a very good chance you have c-abs. If there are only two then you don't.

I was going to suggest the OP try this. Put your bike on the center stand and a jack, with both wheels airborne. Operate the brake controls and see what actions take place at the wheels.
The first generation of NC/CTX700 motorcycles with ABS had Proportional Control Valve and Delay Valve separately in addition to the ABS module and a third front brake piston. This allowed a link between the rear and front brakes without ABS operation. The next generation of ABS were not combined.
If new generations now use Combined ABS, I think that the link between the rear and front brake is controlled inside the ABS module and is only possible after "activating" the ABS system, i.e. after reaching a certain speed of the motorcycle, for example about 6 mph.

Three pistons in the front caliper and two hoses identifies a NC700X with combined ABS. The upper hose pressurizes the two outer pistons like the diagram shows.

Attachments

• IMG_3789.jpg
    IMG_3789.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3790.jpg
    IMG_3790.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 14
So, I guess it's a mystery how they really work. IDK why it had to be in another forum when I said what year it was. Not like the forum is swamped with entries............

So, I guess it's a mystery how they really work. IDK why it had to be in another forum when I said what year it was. Not like the forum is swamped with entries............
Why don’t you go look at the front caliper of your bike? Take a picture if you can otherwise count the pistons (2 or 3) and the hoses connected to the caliper. Post #11 and 15 detail as well. Help out.

Why don’t you go look at the front caliper of your bike? Take a picture if you can otherwise count the pistons (2 or 3) and the hoses connected to the caliper. Post #11 and 15 detail as well. Help out.
Only one hose going to the simple front brake. If nobody from Honda is going say how it works other than the marketing hype, I'm not going spend time figuring it out. It is what it is, but it would be nice to know how my bike works. I will just chalk it up to a mystery.

On your bike (21-23 750 DCT right?) its a simple single front disc brake, operated by hydraulic pressure. You squeeze the brake lever and fluid contained in a reservoir on the handlebars is forced thru a hose and pushes out two pistons which squeeze the spinning disc attached to the front hub until the wheel quits spinning.

Same procedure on the rear when you press the rear brake pedal, only there's a single piston caliper on the rear.

The two brakes are not connected. Each one works independently of the other.

The system has been around on street bikes since 1968.

There is no mystery to this simple system.

Other models have more complicated linked systems with extra hoses, pistons and proportioning valves, to make extra braking power, or more even braking pressure but they were not used on later model NCs, like yours and mine.

Does that help?

On your bike (21-23 750 DCT right?) its a simple single front disc brake, operated by hydraulic pressure. You squeeze the brake lever and fluid contained in a reservoir on the handlebars is forced thru a hose and pushes out two pistons which squeeze the spinning disc attached to the front hub until the wheel quits spinning.

Same procedure on the rear when you press the rear brake pedal, only there's a single piston caliper on the rear.

The two brakes are not connected. Each one works independently of the other.

The system has been around on street bikes since 1968.

There is no mystery to this simple system.

Other models have more complicated linked systems with extra hoses, pistons and proportioning valves, to make extra braking power, or more even braking pressure but they were not used on later model NCs, like yours and mine.

Does that help?
Yes, I was a mechanic and had 10 bikes. Just wondering why Honda says it has coupled brakes. Yes, it is a '23.

Back