• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Done went and did it!

Johninaz

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Made my first post a couple of days ago, and just returned from the toy store. Next week I will pick up a new (2015) NC700DCT in red. I traded in my CB 500 F. I am Intrigued by the transmission and his will be my first bike with ABS.

I didn't want to wait for the 2016, and got what I consider a good price by getting the 2015.

I just know I will blip the throttle at a light and embarrass the he'll out of myself, hopefully I won't get hurt.

I've ridden over 40 years and I am actually a little worried about the missing clutch and shifter, a lot to unlearn. The first time a rode a trike I put my feet down at a stop sign, much to the enjoyment of my ridding buddies!. So here we go again back to school at 64.

Have a great week to all.

Congrats John!

I can only suggest getting into the habit of always covering your front or rear brake at a stop, to prevent an unwanted oopsie, lol.

say hello to your left thumb (sometimes twice) going into a corner, you will love it. the DCT is a game changer.

good luck with your new smile... ahh.. ride, yeah that's it.....RIDE

Congratulations on your new bike. I applaud Honda for bringing the automatic to a real motorcycle. The industry needs some new riders and I think this will attract them.

Actually it's the reason I purchased the nc700x. I thought I was out of motorcycling for good when I sold my 14th motorcycle last year, but then I heard about the CTX and NC with DCT and it got me into the shop. While I did not buy the DCT version, because the deal on the x was just too good.

I do have a question, however. How do you do the equivalent of feathering the clutch with the automatic? I often needed to do that on low speed turns and on uneven dirt trails.

the DCT is seamless in straight lines as it comes to a stop, you can't even feel the clutch disengaging. For low speed turns you can still apply gas lightly and the rear brake at the same time to modulate the speed, but I found that it won't be as smooth as the manual version since the bike is trying to accelerate under the throttle and you can't control the clutch directly.

the DCT is seamless in straight lines as it comes to a stop, you can't even feel the clutch disengaging. For low speed turns you can still apply gas lightly and the rear brake at the same time to modulate the speed, but I found that it won't be as smooth as the manual version since the bike is trying to accelerate under the throttle and you can't control the clutch directly.

I've ridding scooters with CVT and I was able to maneuver it easily using the both the throttle and brakes. No difference with a DCT.

This takes a little time to get used to the ballet that is required in doing so.

Congratulations on going with the DCT. I think it's finally starting to catch on. I noticed with all of the reviews of the new Africa Twin that many of the old school anti-automatic guys really liked the DCT once they actually tried it. I have grown so fond of the DCT that I am beginning to wonder if I will ever own a manual bike again. Well, maybe the BMW S1000XR with the quick shifter...

And you really won't need to blip the throttle at a light since the stock pipe won't give you much. You can always drop it into neutral if you really feel the need.

[...And you really won't need to blip the throttle at a light....]

I call that a Harley syndrome - the need to blip the engine at a stop light so everyone look at you!

I was teaching an MSF class years ago and one of the male students did that each time he was stopped so I walked over and asked "Why are you doing that?" He had no real answer so I informed him that the Honda Nighthawk trainer would continue to idle smoothly until it ran out of gas so blipping the throttle was totally unnecessary.

The only two reasons I can come up with for blipping the throttle at a stop are:

A) It's a carry over habit from two stroke days, where the the engine may actually load up with fuel and begin to sputter at idle. Blipping the throttle cleaned it out and kept it running. This is absolutely unnecessary for a modern engine. It will idle happily until the fuel tank runs dry.

B) The rider wants to make noise for their own enjoyment or to attract attention.

Anyway, getting back on topic. . .

Enjoy your new ride, John!

Last edited:
As others have said already (but I repeat, sorry). Autoclutch bikes require the technique of "feathering" rear brake to control power to the rear wheel at slow speeds. I find it's easiest to set a steady power setting with the throttle and leave it there and slip the applied rear brake to modulate. Trying to modulate throttle and brake at the same time can no doubt be done but I find it smoother to just hold an adequate amount of throttle and modulate rear brake.

On my clutched bikes I do the same thing with a fixed throttle setting but have to slip the right amount of clutch against the rear brake making it a left hand/right foot dance. On my DCT bike is is actually easier because it's just using rear brake.

As others have said already (but I repeat, sorry). Autoclutch bikes require the technique of "feathering" rear brake to control power to the rear wheel at slow speeds. I find it's easiest to set a steady power setting with the throttle and leave it there and slip the applied rear brake to modulate. Trying to modulate throttle and brake at the same time can no doubt be done but I find it smoother to just hold an adequate amount of throttle and modulate rear brake.

On my clutched bikes I do the same thing with a fixed throttle setting but have to slip the right amount of clutch against the rear brake making it a left hand/right foot dance. On my DCT bike is is actually easier because it's just using rear brake.

Agreed. This is the same technique I employ on a CVT scooter (constant throttle and modulated brake), with the added requirement that you hold enough throttle to keep the centrifugal clutch engaged. With the DCT, less throttle is needed to engage the clutch, so it works even better.

Agreed. This is the same technique I employ on a CVT scooter (constant throttle and modulated brake), with the added requirement that you hold enough throttle to keep the centrifugal clutch engaged. With the DCT, less throttle is needed to engage the clutch, so it works even better.
A lot of us baby boomers learned to ride auto clutch Hondas nearly 50 years ago. (Hard to believe the Cub 50 is 58 years old this year, I think it came to the US in 1962) The first two bikes I had back then didn't have clutch levers so this comes natural to me. I think that's why the DCT is so easy and natural to adapt to.

Thanks for the many welcomes and thoughts. I received a call from the dealer this morning and the bike should arrive on Monday, so giving a couple of days to set it up and with luck I'll be turning in my CB500F, and like many in our political system no longer have to shift for myself.

I have already picked up a great deal of information on this forum, the delay in getting the bike actually is proving to be a great time for reading and learning. I get so much better quality and honest information then from reading manuals, "professional" reviews, and sales litature.

Back