• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Drive conversion from chain to belt

A belt requires more width than a chain, so you may have to refabricate more than you think. Tensioning is also a problem. Chains run with a bit of slack to allow the swingarm to move. Belts don't run with slack like that, so keeping tension while allowing for natural swingarm movement is a problem. Harley and other cruisers mostly deal with it by having very little suspension travel. A NC? Not so much.

I mean, can it be done? Assuming you had access to a machine shop and can fabricate parts, I don't see why not. With enough money to throw at a problem anything is possible.

From what I know so far about belt drive, it would be very difficult to convert an NC from chain to belt. From what I see on my Zero, belt width to handle the horsepower is not a problem. Belt tensioning would be the biggest challenge, because the drive sprocket and the swingarm pivot are not on the same axis. Movement of the suspension would change belt tension too much unless an effective tensioner device was employed.

Like LB suggested above, anything is possible if you put enough time and effort into it.

i kinda like the idea but haven't given it much thought. The next time i am out on the bike servicing the chain i will take some measurements and see what might be involved.
:{P

A belt requires more width than a chain, so you may have to refabricate more than you think. Tensioning is also a problem. Chains run with a bit of slack to allow the swingarm to move. Belts don't run with slack like that, so keeping tension while allowing for natural swingarm movement is a problem. Harley and other cruisers mostly deal with it by having very little suspension travel. A NC? Not so much.

I mean, can it be done? Assuming you had access to a machine shop and can fabricate parts, I don't see why not. With enough money to throw at a problem anything is possible.
Hello LB, Thanks for thinking through this idea. As a previous Harley owner it seemed like a good concept but since I'm not versed in motorcycle mechanics it appears to be illogical. I'm a long time rider but not a wrench. Thx, I'll continue to clean and lube. R

I don't have one nor did I speak the language on this website but I ran across this awhile back.
Belt drive for NC750X
That looks really good in the photos, but I have two questions. With the lack of a tensioner, does the belt potentially jump teeth? What is the lifespan of the belt?

Back