• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Drive sprocket noise.

backtochain

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Experiencing a "repetitious knocking" from the drive sprocket. No matter how aligned the drive sprocket is to the driven sprocket the drive sprocket seems to be binding on the splined shaft. Sprocket splines and shaft splines are in good condition. Another corresponding issue is when spinning the rear tire by hand is there are loose spots and tighter spots with the chain free-play as I spin the tire. The chain is in good condition (no kinks). I am absolutely baffled with this and would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks , Craig.

Sounds like its time for a new chain. I had the same issue last week. The chain looked good, no tight spots but the knocking quit when I replaced it.

A bit of tight and loose chain sections is pretty normal and if there are no kinks there should be no issue - other than to make sure that you adjust the chain tension at the tightest spot.

1) Are you sure that the tension is correct?
2) How much of the take-up is used?
3) Is there any unsymmetrical wear on the inside or outside of either sprocket?
4) Are the "shiny places" on the chain sideplates?
5) Can you lift the chain off of the rear sprocket at the rearmost (3 o'clock) position?
6) Have you removed the countershaft cover to be sure that no debris has been drawn into it?
7) How many miles are on the chain and sprockets? Brand?

If all of this is OK, I would suggest removing the chain and spinning the empty drive sprocket by hand to make sure that there is not a problem with the countershaft bearing. If the chain were run unusually tight it is possible to damage the countershaft bearing or shaft. We'll hope this is not the case as the solution is pretty severe. If that checks, I'm with Turbodiesel on a new chain (and sprockets).

Last edited:
Thanks guys , I started with 24,000 mi. on the bike last spring with a with a new did vx2 chain and a new oem drive sprocket. The rear sprocket seems to look the same as it did when I purchased it new in 2013. It's at 35,000 now. Thought I'd get a good 20,000 mi. out of the chain but maybe it starts with putting a new one on.

It should do better than that. VX2 is a good long-wearing chain. I have 18,000 on a DID ERV (which doesn't wear as well as the VX2) and it is still fine. I'd be especially curious to hear if you can pull the chain away from the rear sprocket at the 3 o'clock position.

Thanks Beemerphile , I tried pulling the chain at the rear sprocket at the 3 o'clock position and did not come away even when rotating the tire approx. every 1/4 turn. I had also spun the drive sprocket on the output shaft and it spun nice and smooth , no bearing issue there.

Last edited:
When mine died, I first thought it was the front sprocket. It had stress fractures and was deformed a tad.
I replaced it first and the popping lessened but didn't completely go away. It wasn't until the chain was replaced before the noise stopped.

When I am on a long trip, sooner or later I will hear the repetitious knocking. This happens almost every time and on every trip.
At the next stop, I will spray my chain with lube and the noise goes away.

I mentioned this issue previously on another thread. At around 21000kms I kept hearing this unsettling knock when taking off in the bottom 2/3 gears. As the bike and the chain would warm up it would more or less disappear . It drove me nuts. It more or less coincided with one full revolution of the chain. There were some tight spots but nothing excessive and the chain was always kept well lubed. I did notice however that a few links were a bit stiff here and there. In short the pins had lost their sealed in lubrication.

I eventually replaced the chain and sprockets and the sound disappeared. Simple as that.

I believe it is something to do with the floating aspect of the front sprocket knocking on its splines as tight spots in the chain pass over it, thereby varying its velocity minutely. However whatever the cause, a new chain completely eradicated it. While the sound is a little unnerving, I do not believe it is doing any damage. The tight pins did motivate me to change the chain though.

When I raised the issue at the time, others also came forward mentioning the same knocking sound, and again it was cured by a change of chain. I do not believe it would happen if the front sprocket was locked solidly on its splines like some other drive chain systems.

strange I've never heard any knocking on my chain but then again my chain is always wet.
I have a tutoro chain lube perhaps that is what needed.

You are at least close to the mileage where I replaced both of my DID chains. They were not completely shot, but were giving me symptoms that they were on their way out. I have an automatic oiler on now, but I also changed chain brands. Time will tell whether the new combo gives me more favorable chain life.

strange I've never heard any knocking on my chain but then again my chain is always wet.
I have a tutoro chain lube perhaps that is what needed.

Makes no difference John. I have a Tutoro too. On a couple of occasions I overloaded the chain with lube to see if it made a difference and it deadened the knocking sound for a while, but it always came back once the excess lube was thrown off.

well in that case it maybe that I wear these but I can still hear myself fart:D
Howard-Leight-Quiet-Reusable-.jpg

I stopped using chain lube and started using motor oil after I heard the chain knocking on s long off-road trip last summer .The lube did nothing.But after I started using oil the knock went away and I got 4,000 more miles out of the chain.

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

Play it safe. Install a chain and sprockets (front & rear) kit. All three pieces should be replaced at one time and not just the chain. Worn sprockets will ruin a new chain and vice versa. Just a trained, experienced tech's two cents. :rolleyes:

Play it safe. Install a chain and sprockets (front & rear) kit. All three pieces should be replaced at one time and not just the chain. Worn sprockets will ruin a new chain and vice versa. Just a trained, experienced tech's two cents. :rolleyes:

I will take the oposite view .......replace the chain and only replace the sprockets if they are worn. Usually replace the sprockets every other chain. Front wears a faster rate than the rear. Example on this site when chains are noisy or kinky links at 4000- 8000 miles it is a waste of time and money to replace the sprockets in most cases. The sprockets do not have to be replaced set and the front is often replaced sooner. Not posting a resume :rolleyes:

Edit... with in reason......if your getting 30,000 or 40,000 miles out of chain sprocket then chain and sprockets kit most likely is a good choice. One has to judge the sprocket wear on lower mileage chain replacing.

Last edited:
I swap back and forth between a 15t &16t front sprocket every 3,000-4,000 miles or so for off-road use.I have never had a problem.But I tried a new sprocket on a VERY,VERY WORN CHAIN and didn't even make it 1 block before it tried to lock up the rear tire !!.

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

Back