• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dual Sport or Street Helmet??

Not sure about it being a true Dual Sport (just like the NCX) but I just bought an Icon Variant and this thing is my new favorite helmet. Massive airflow, relatively quiet and unexpectedly lite. Actually, it's pretty obvious that it's not a dual sport helmet, rather it's a street helmet with a peak. Perfect for my needs.

I looked at the Variant as well - two things that I think it has going for it besides looks (which are subjective): 1. good venting - this is of concern to me because of where I live, mostly warm and dry, and 2. the face shield is big but also seems to have little to no distortion at all.

I'm still in two minds whether I'd prefer a dual sport over a flip-up. Fitting in the frunk is good but not always necessary as I'll be commuting mostly and have plenty of space at work to keep it. The peak affecting head turning or lifting at high speeds is a bit of a concern to me but most people seem to say it's not that bad with dual sports. Proper off road helmets might be a different story. We get a lot of sunny days here so a peak might actually prove somewhat useful. But more useful than fitting in the frunk? I'm still undecided.

I looked at the Variant as well - two things that I think it has going for it besides looks (which are subjective): 1. good venting - this is of concern to me because of where I live, mostly warm and dry, and 2. the face shield is big but also seems to have little to no distortion at all.

I'm still in two minds whether I'd prefer a dual sport over a flip-up. Fitting in the frunk is good but not always necessary as I'll be commuting mostly and have plenty of space at work to keep it. The peak affecting head turning or lifting at high speeds is a bit of a concern to me but most people seem to say it's not that bad with dual sports. Proper off road helmets might be a different story. We get a lot of sunny days here so a peak might actually prove somewhat useful. But more useful than fitting in the frunk? I'm still undecided.

I take my helmet inside with me at work every day. It's a lot nicer to put on a cooled helmet from inside than one that's baked in the bike all day. I think I have one helmet that will fit in the frunk and that's just barely if I tilt it just right. I put a top case on to hold my lids and paniers to hold my jackets/suits/boots/gear/hammock. I've found that I like the sunblocking and ram air effect of the DS type helmet over my modular. If my modular (Nolan N104) vented better, this might be a completely different conversation. That's still a great helmet for day trips in cold weather (Pinlock keeps the fog out and the flip up lets me sip some core warming coffee).

I typically ride with my visor up so the spoiler-like effect of the DS type helmets doesn't bother me much so far. It might surprise you the first time, but like anything else you'll get used to it immediately. That was one of the reasons I picked the Variant. It's intended not to be a true dual sport helmet (which would accommodate goggles and vent well at low speeds) but instead it's meant to be a street helmet with a peak. I'm not sure how that compares with the Shoei Hornet or the Arai XD#. It was a good bit cheaper though and I'm not gonna lie: that did play into the decision a little bit.

Don't worry about the frunk. You'll figure out something to stuff in there.

If my modular (Nolan N104) vented better, this might be a completely different conversation.

Thanks for the info. My first choice for flip-ups is currently the N-104 from the reviews I've read. Since it is a neutral to intermediate oval shape (I think) it should fit my head but I have yet to try one on. For DS helmets I also looked at the Hornet and XD4 - both seem excellent in their own right but a tad expensive. Maybe I should consider getting two helmets, a DS for summer commuting and a flip-up for everything else? That way I could also have a spare in case I need to lift anyone.

And then there's the new Caberg Tourmax. Peak (removable I think), wide face shield with pinlock insert, internal sun visor, flip-up chin bar, ECE certified, and not ludicrously expensive. Almost everything I'm looking for. The only potential problem I see besides fit is that venting does not seem adequate (only chin and top vents - no rear exhausts). Caberg seems to prefer quietness over ventilation.

GMAX GM 54 S
- modular flip up (don't have to take it off to fill up, get a drink, put on eye glasses)
- fits in the frunk
- internal sun visor (adjustable so instruments/gps are not darkened while bright road ahead is)
- available double hulled visor so it won't fog
- available transmitter that connects to brake light wiring (light on helmet back goes on when you hit the brakes)
- $125
Here's a REVIEW.
View attachment 17149

That's the helmet I crashed in. Low side at 40 mph. The helmet worked. I'm still alive. No head injury at all.

Back