• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dual Sport or Street Helmet??

I have a UVEX GT-500 modular helmet, A Nolan N-43 and a AFX FX-39. Depending how I feel i wear one or the other...

How do you like the AFX FX-39. Good reviews and great price. How's the ratchet strap? Is it a noisy helmet at speed and any issues with the wind grabbing it when you turn your head at speed?

So I'm sure everyone would agree the NCX's are 90% road bikes. So why even bother with a dual sport helmet? I bet that most here that wear the dual sport don't wear goggles under the shield and the beak is placed in such a manner that it really won't offer much in sun shading. The only feature of a DS that makes sense is the better peripheral vision than a street helmet. Personally I like the styling of the dual sports even though most of it's features are pointless and most do buy products on "I like the looks of that" rather than "that's very functional".

I don't know what street helmets you have tried or used, but the peripheral vision is not a factor, at least with my HJC. With the helmet on and me looking forward, I cannot see the left/right edges of the viewport at all. The helmet has zero impact on my side to side peripheral vision. I suspect many street helmets are the same way.

Last edited:
I bought a Shoei Neotec flip when I bought my NC, when I had my test ride I wore a peaked lid (Spada Sting) and it was useless, the peak was pulling my head back all the time, so unless you have a barn door windshield forget it, besides, a peaked lid won't fit into the frunk.

No offense to anyone who wears a modular but it's just a little better than an open face and I like to keep my face pretty. There is a reason most modular helmets are only DOT approved.

FYI and FWIW, from the Snell Website:
"Why won't Snell certify some types of helmets like flip up front designs?

Snell does not dismiss out of hand any helmet design that strays from the conventional. Snell does not point out any design specifications other than general requirements in its standards. We are, however, always concerned with innovations and new designs that may effect helmet's ability to protect the wearer, or in some cases helmet's potential to cause injury. At present the Foundation has not had the opportunity to test any of the flip up front type helmets for certification. We do not find any fault with these designs as long as they are used according to the manufacturers instructions and meet all of the requirements of the standard. We will also certify any size of helmet as long as it meets the same requirements as any other Snell certified helmet."

The info is a bit dated because, as you implied, there actually are some modular helmets that are Snell certified.

Last edited:
I don't know what street helmets you have tried or used, but the peripheral vision is not a factor, at least with my HJC. With the helmet on and me looking forward, I cannot see the edges of the viewport at all. The helmet has zero impact on my side to side peripheral vision. I suspect many street helmets are the same way.

I've had many street helmet and have five of them in the closet as we speek. I'm currently using a Bell with the photochromic screen which replaced my Shoei RF 1100 which I cracked open in a low side, broken left side ribs but that's a different story.

I've never used a DS helmet but it's said because of the larger opening that it's easier to see out, much like an open face lid.

A little off topic but I found the video of us destroying the damaged RF100 helmet. Amazing how strong they are. The Hoist has a 3 ton truck on it. That's me positioning the helmet.

[video=youtube;juP8wxchtQQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juP8wxchtQQ[/video]

Last edited:
How do you like the AFX FX-39. Good reviews and great price. How's the ratchet strap? Is it a noisy helmet at speed and any issues with the wind grabbing it when you turn your head at speed?

All of my 3 helmets have a ratchet strap and I have no problem with theses. In fact I'm more confident in it than the others we usually see. At high speed, yes it is noisy and the wind is grabbing it when I turn my head at speed...but I usually use the AFX when I'm going in the trails near home. It is definitively not a helmet to wear at highway speed unless you have a full big enormous gigantic titanic style windshield ;)

All of my 3 helmets have a ratchet strap and I have no problem with theses. In fact I'm more confident in it than the others we usually see. At high speed, yes it is noisy and the wind is grabbing it when I turn my head at speed...but I usually use the AFX when I'm going in the trails near home. It is definitively not a helmet to wear at highway speed unless you have a full big enormous gigantic titanic style windshield ;)

Thanks for the reply. I'm considering the FX-39. Can you wear goggles under the shield? I'm not one for large screens, the shorter the better. I even tour with a short screen.

Competition Accessories is blowing these out at $109.49.

http://www.compacc.com/p/afx-fx-39-helmet-solids

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I'm considering the FX-39. Can you wear goggles under the shield? I'm not one for large screens, the shorter the better. I even tour with a short screen.

Competition Accessories is blowing these out at $109.49.

AFX FX-39 Helmet Solids - Compacc
Yes you can wear googles with the FX39. At 109.49, you can't go wrong.

I have three current helmets that I can choose from depending on what mood I'm in, or conditions.

HJC CL-16

Very happy with this helmet, was very economical to purchase, but is very comfortable, insanely easy shield removal, pretty good venting. This is my go-to "night time" helmet. It's white and has some retro reflective strips I put on it. I usually keep a clear fog free visor with a pinloc insert on it, so I can just grab it and go.

Icon Alliance SSR

My "daily commuter" helmet, and first one I reach for in most circumstances. Venting is so so, but ok. Flat black rubbery finish that is very durable and I don't care about scrapes and scratches. Very comfy and was also very good price. Usually keep a fog free extra dark shield on it. Extremely easy shield re/re on this one too.

Icon Variant.

Expensive, but I got a good deal on it. Sun peak is good for late afternoon shading eyes. Mega good venting. Got it for off roading and am very happy with it. Riding at highway speed and shoulder checking does not cause the slightest problems with wind catching the peak. Quite light and super comfy, but not as much as the other two. It feels like an armoured protective device, not so much a put on and forget it's there thing, like the other two helmets.

Superb peripheral and all- round view through the eye port. Looking through the bubble multi curve shield is awesome, no distortion at all. Visor removal/install method Sucks!!! It really, really, sucks! Like something out of the dark ages of ancient helmet technology, lol. What they were thinking, I have no idea. Designer should be shot for this one!

I chose the flat black rubbery finish for this one as well, I clack it into tree branches etc., frequently, and don't care about scratching it.

Icon Variant.
Visor removal/install method Sucks!!! It really, really, sucks! Like something out of the dark ages of ancient helmet technology, lol. What they were thinking, I have no idea. Designer should be shot for this one!

Nice Helmet, too bad the shield sucks.

Icon_Variant-Etched.jpg

Nice Helmet, too bad the shield sucks.

Icon_Variant-Etched.jpg

It's fine if you aren't constantly wanting to swap out clear or dark shields. I discovered that for night time not too far rides (like under a 100 km's or so) I'm ok with leaving the shield up (dark or mirror) and wearing clear safety glasses.

If you were to simply keep a clear shield on all the time, and wear sun glasses, it's no real issue at all.

Maybe I'm just spoiled and lazy with how easy the other shields come off, that I'm making more of a big deal out of it, lol.

Bell Revolver for me. Has an internal drop down sun shield and is modular so I can get to my nose if I have an itch!

2011-Bell-Revolver-Helmet-Black.jpg

Last edited:
Full face modular Bilt helmet with internal sunscreen. It has everything my old Scorpion 900 series modular had for $150 less than the Scorpion 900 series; full face, modular (easier for the eyeglasses), internal sunglasses, and it weighs less than the scorpion. Both are DOT approved, neither are snell rated (I don't care about this one).

Last edited:
Back